***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Is there anywhere I can find a definitive (or close to definitive) list of what apps are available on WM8? I love the look of this phone but there are a fair few apps I really cant live without. Would be great to be able to check if they are around on WM8.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Is there anywhere I can find a definitive (or close to definitive) list of what apps are available on WM8? I love the look of this phone but there are a fair few apps I really cant live without. Would be great to be able to check if they are around on WM8.

If its Windows Mobile, there aren't many.

If its Windows Phone 8, have a look Here

Edit: At the last count there are 114,4040 applications in the Windows Phone store.

:D

Man of Honour

No, and you won't find them till the 26th of October.
However you can look at the windows market linked above, that have all the wp7 apps which will all work on wp8, expect a load more to be released on the 26th of October or soon afterwards.

Soldato
There is just a few things now putting me just a little off.

Nokia are in dire straights at the moment. Share price and losses etc.

- Are they going to survive?
- Will they update they software for this phone and continually improve it?
- Will MS improve and update the OS in the fashion Apple and Google do?
- Can MS get more developers on-board?
- Can MS create a Windows8 ecosystem where everything is integrated (much like Google services)?
- Who will be looking after the phone users needs...MS or Nokia?
- Are we going to end up with handsets with different versions of Windows8 (like you see at the moment with Android?)

The screens i have seen do look amazing and fresh. I like the live tiles which give you the info you need at a quick glance. I'm sick of iOS's grid look which hasn't changed since the first incarnation.

I wish Nokia would release the damn thing! Think they are leaving it too late. They could have dented Apple's iP5 launch. Oct 25th (or whatever it is) is just too far!!

Pull ya finger out Nokia and MS!!

I really dont want MS/Nokia to take the approach Apple have taken where content is locked in its ecosystem and you cant take it to another OS like Android or iOS.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Really interested in the Lumia 920. Are Windows Phone updates done by the manufacturer or by microsoft? Im kinda tired of waiting for updates like Android..

Windows Phone updates are pushed by MS and the Phones firmware will be pushed by Nokia. :D

Soldato
Its nothing to do with Nokia the release , its Microsoft that's delaying it as windows 8 will be released next month.
err I wouldn't worry about Nokia surviving medi tend to blow things out of the water , Nokia still sell over 1,000,0000 phones a day , nokia deal a lot with developing countries and sell a lot of the cheaper handsets to them.
Microsoft has promised at least 18 months of updates
Windows 8 is what the intergration is all about .... ;)

All new windows 8 handsets will run windows 8 and all the handsets will be updated at same time , so previous windows 7.5 phones will have 7.8 update , but all windows 8 phones will run same windows 8 version .

Nokia has continued to improve the lumia 800 etc so yes they seem to be a good company to keep users happy, they were constrained a lot with windows 7.5 hardware support limitations .

Its Microsoft so yeah they will have a lot of developers on board ;)

Soldato
There is just a few things now putting me just a little off.

Nokia are in dire straights at the moment. Share price and losses etc.

- Are they going to survive?
- Will they update they software for this phone and continually improve it?
- Will MS improve and update the OS in the fashion Apple and Google do?
- Can MS get more developers on-board?
- Can MS create a Windows8 ecosystem where everything is integrated (much like Google services)?
- Who will be looking after the phone users needs...MS or Nokia?
- Are we going to end up with handsets with different versions of Windows8 (like you see at the moment with Android?)

The screens i have seen do look amazing and fresh. I like the live tiles which give you the info you need at a quick glance. I'm sick of iOS's grid look which hasn't changed since the first incarnation.

I wish Nokia would release the damn thing! Think they are leaving it too late. They could have dented Apple's iP5 launch. Oct 25th (or whatever it is) is just too far!!

Pull ya finger out Nokia and MS!!

I really dont want MS/Nokia to take the approach Apple have taken where content is locked in its ecosystem and you cant take it to another OS like Android or iOS.

- who knows, but Im buying Nokia shares as I do think they will see a market share increase and Im hoping for a 20% gain
- Nokia have a good record for supporting their phones in WP8, HTC don't
-how long is a piece of string?? Seriously, no-one knows, but MS are doing all they can by having a shared kernel between W8 and WP8
-With WP8, it already is a shared ecosystem, google and have a look at some of the demonstrations and read the blogs, that is why a lot of people are considering the switch
- Both
- Nope
- Isn't Android a semi closed ecosystem - you cant take play store books or movies out to another phone? Im asking as I haven't tried

Associate
[RXP]Andy;22801755 said:
Windows Phone updates are pushed by MS and the Phones firmware will be pushed by Nokia. :D

Ok gotcha. So its like Google pushing out updates but will go through the manufacturer first (samsung/htc/etc) to be pushed out to phones..which takes a loong time.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Ok gotcha. So its like Google pushing out updates but will go through the manufacturer first (samsung/htc/etc) to be pushed out to phones..which takes a loong time.

No.

Once MS release a Windows Phone update, its available to the whole Windows Phone 7 / 8 product line. Also Nokia will be also pushing firmware updates separately.

Associate
I really am drawn to this phone. Don't know why but there's something quite appealing about it along with WP8. I'm a solid android user and this phone is calling my name!

Soldato
Andy still oing for yellow ?
I was in contact with Tmobile today , they said they will be getting then end of October... grrrr at wait , I will prob be working in America then ... anyone bought a handset in America sim free ? is that even possible?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Andy still oing for yellow ?
I was in contact with Tmobile today , they said they will be getting then end of October... grrrr at wait , I will prob be working in America then ... anyone bought a handset in America sim free ? is that even possible?

Yes I am.

I'd be a little carful buying phones from the US, as there frequencies are a little different to EU ones and they also have CDMA variants. However, that said there are a number of phones that will work.

Personally, id wait for a EU handset as you'll have the additional benefit of a full warranty.

Back
Top Bottom