***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
oh I def swiching ;) fed up bought a lot of books of iTunes etc to find they are locked to apple , if I have bought them on kindle I could have used them....
Problem with android is gaming wise etc , the developers have to develop for the lowest common spec , so the s3 might have a very fast gpu , but it is of no use....
Good point, mandating hardware specs suddenly seems like a good idea from a development point of view. Add in direct x support and I think we will see some great games

I cant wait for the 920. I have been using windows 8 preview and it all looks like it will come togegher great .

Win8 was the first thing that convinced me to switch...

Microsoft is prob. hoping that the same eco system with windows and there phones will bump up user base , and it will I say

I think so too, I know 2 developers that are looking forward to the possibilities that RT,WP8 and surface offer

Soldato
A lot of the 'must have' apps that aren't currently in the Windows Phone Marketplace are currently being built for the platform. Wouldn't surprise me to see them at launch. Many of the ones available already of WP7 are being updated for the new platform too. It's not going to be up to the standards of the App Store or Android Market, but it should be much better than the WP7 iteration currently is.

Anyone worrying over importing Google contacts/calendar/GMail, don't. They sync just fine. As for Google Maps/Drive, you have zero to worry about. Nokia's own solutions are hands-down better than Google's. Some services aren't found on WP (at present) though. Google Music, Docs, + are all a negative. I doubt that will change. WP7 handsets are pretty much the most Google-free internet connected devices there is. Alternatives exist though.

hmm... that's a very good point. More justification to consider this phone. But the Lumia 900 didn't do too well...

The 900 did okay. It was AT&T's best selling phone for about a week, then the second best selling phone until the GSIII launched. It was third up until the end of last month. Similar story at Amazon.com. Basically, if an AT&T customer wasn't buying an S3 or iPhone 4S, then odds on they were buying a Lumia 900. That's not bad going. Launching on one carrier hampered the sales figures when you look at overall sales across all networks (but it seems this was deemed a fair sacrifice - the 900 was all about getting the attention of the American public, not chasing every possible sale).

Soldato
The only thing I honestly missed was not having an official BBC News app, and iPlayer, looking at the sites they seem to have been made with a Metro style in mind.
Saying that I have an N7, and that doesn't have iPlayer etc.
In fact thinking about it, the only brand new mobile OS that would have iPlayer working form the box is now going to be iOS.

kbc

kbc

Associate
What about things like TVCatchup? I find it absolutely awesome on the Nexus 7.

I've just been browsing the Windows Marketplace along with the reviews. The reviews are all pretty negative against apps such as WhatsApp, Skype (you can't even run it in the background and it's Microsoft!) and Facebook... the ones I actually use the most! :( I also hope there's a decent London Transport/Bus app on there too.

Associate

I've just been browsing the Windows Marketplace along with the reviews. The reviews are all pretty negative against apps such as WhatsApp, Skype (you can't even run it in the background and it's Microsoft!) and Facebook... the ones I actually use the most! :( I also hope there's a decent London Transport/Bus app on there too.

There are no TV services on WP7 atm but I have a friend who works at Channel 4 and he has said Microsoft have pretty much written them a blank cheque to get their 4OD app on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and I would imagine if they were courting C4 like that, they would be working to get the rest of the on demand TV apps too.

As for Skype, it will work a lot better in WP8, it will run in the background and when someone calls, it'll look just like it's integrated into the OS.

The Facebook app is alright but who needs it? Facebook is integrated into the OS, I literally never use the Facebook app.

And finally there is Nokia Transport and Bing get me there, they are both great transport apps.

Soldato
The futures bright , the futures here in a month and a half .;)
IOS to boring toy like

Android to open no advantage app wise having an entry level or top spec device to me , not as boring as ios with wigets etc.

Windows phone to me its a great solution , with win 8 all your info is updating on the tiles all the time a glance at your phone should give you all the info you need without scrolling through home screens etc

Soldato

'London Travel' is a wicked app. Seriously one of the best in the WP7 store. Some developers seem to 'get' Metro better than others, though I think part of the problem is an unwillingness to invest too much in creating WP7 apps (many of them are very buggy and clearly haven't been tested properly, even from big companies or developers who are big on iOS/Android).

Skype was... pretty much a disaster on WP7. It's one of those 'forget it and move on' moments - the OS just doesn't support VOIP very well. Windows 8 changes this, integration VOIP in to the dialler and contacts list :D

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Is Google Maps on WP? Or does Nokia maps include public transport directions/planning?

There is no Google maps on WP, that said nor will it be on iOS from this week. However, there is a Nokia Transport application which is pretty good as well of a number of Nokia mapping applications.

Man of Honour
Yeah the mining tv apps is annoying, but they should come.
Splashtop is one of my essential apps and they allready have a preview on windows8 pre release :)

Imdb - check
Tvcatchup - :(
Splashtop - check
Callander - check
Netflix - check
Bbc news - :| there's unofficial ones and the w8 MS news app is pretty good.
YouTube - :| website or unoffical, YouTube metro looks great.
Yelp - check
Kindle - check
Tripit - check
Satnav/map - check built into Os
Facebook - check I prefer website than the apps on ios anyway.

That's all I use consistently, so I'm pretty much set. Even catchuptv isn't a big one, it's occasional rather than a majour app for methe number of times I've used iplayer and 4od on phone/tablet I can count on one hand. Hopfully they will come though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't suppose anyone could tell me, based of knowledge of previous Lumia and Windows phones plus what we know about the 920, will I need to use some rubbish like iTunes to put music on a 920 or can I just open the phone in windows explorer and drag/drop music too it like a [decent] mp3 player?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
I don't suppose anyone could tell me, based of knowledge of previous Lumia and Windows phones plus what we know about the 920, will I need to use some rubbish like iTunes to put music on a 920 or can I just open the phone in windows explorer and drag/drop music too it like a [decent] mp3 player?

Thanks.

You had to use Zune before, I'm not sure about now.

Is it Xbox Music? I assume that will work a bit like iTunes (Zune did).

Xbox Music is considered successor of Microsoft's Zune brand; because Microsoft plans to discontinue the "Zune" brand in favor of the more successful "Xbox" brand.

Associate

Thanks.

Doubt we'll see drag and drop unfortunately. It would be nice as i much prefer it. I assume MS want to push their music store so will probably make it a requirement.

Still the Zune software is actually really nice to use.

Man of Honour
Wp8 supports mass storage and drag and drop. We've allready been told this, at least for the sd card.
You have to remember wp8 despite being metro Ui, is very different to wp7.
Zune is also dead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Although didnt it say for the 920 it support USB OTG?
From what I can tell it looks like one of the Apps in W8 metro will act as the client to your desktop.

Caporegime
Wp8 supports mass storage and drag and drop. We've allready been told this, at least for the sd card.
You have to remember wp8 despite being metro Ui, is very different to wp7.
Zune is also dead.

I hope they keep the UI of the zune player though (the PC version). It's by far the most stunning one around.

Associate
I hope they keep the UI of the zune player though (the PC version). It's by far the most stunning one around.

Windows 8 media player uses the same look and feel as Zune so you'd assume that would be the case, although the Xbox Music thing uses a Metro look and feel (although when docked to the side and playing has a Zune look) but it feels pretty clunky playing local media so I assume that's just an added bonus.

It's not the end of the world for me if it doesn't look as polished as Zune did but they really need to stop writing a new system for syncing/connecting devices every couple of years and focus on making one approach work well. I'd rather they didn't make a monster like iTunes but at the same time they haven't got a nice consistent approach for users and I feel a lot of users appreciate that if they want to manage their iPhone they just need to fire up iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom