***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

• Thread starter Thread starter RSR
  • Start date Start date
I can't quite understand why everyone is raving over this phone if I'm honest, it's majorly heavy/massive and the sharp corners will rip apart your trousers :|

How do you find your Desire HD for size? The Lumia isn't much bigger; 7mm taller, 2mm wider and about 15g heavier. The 920 is actually thinner than the DHD by 1.1mm.

Size is a slight concern of mine as well - I'm wondering if other large-screened phones only get away with it because they're thin. Time will tell I guess, but if you find your Desire fine then I can't see the Lumia causing you any problems.

The phone only really feels bigger than the other devices because of the form factor/resolution of the screen IMO. Most devices are 1280x720 where as this is 1280x768 so it does make the screen just that little bit wider.

I think it will be the usability/flexibility of WP8 OS that will determine if it will be my next phone. If somethings are awkward to do then that will hold it back.

I'm thinking the Lumia 820 could be a good candidate for a business phone. Removable battery allowing for a spare to be carried etc.

Why would it be sharp. Sharp corners are at 90 degrees in three planes, where a point forms and is small enough to dig in. That is not what the lumia has, added to that I haven't seen one review/hands on that said it is sharp.

:confused:

does it have three straight edges coming to a point?
no it doesn't. its the corners that are sharp and cause damage, it doesn't have them.

Since when has the definition of sharp been "3 straight edges coming to a point"? Is your head so far up your own behind that you now deem it appropriate to redefine definition of words to suit your arguments?

And the first hands on google spat out came up with this:

"The Lumia 920 feels every bit like a flagship phone. As if the Lumia 900 were dipped in enamel, the glossier bodies feel no less sturdy, and the harsh lines and sharp corners make the device unmistakably a Lumia. Thanks to the sharper edges the phone feels enormous in your hand (even bigger than the 900), but it's incredibly handsome."

Don't get me wrong the 920 looks fantastic but saying it doesnt have sharp corners is like saying the SG3 doesnt have rounded coners!

Last edited:
sharp design, does not mean physicaly sharp that will cause damage to the pocket. That is what this is about.
so no that google search means nothing.
find one that says its sharp in the sense of causing damage and not in terms of a design feature.

I'm not changing definition of anything(if you want to get into definition of sharp, then you would need to feel the phone a 90degress corner doesn't define sharp), what causes damage to a pocket?
it certainly isn't the curves we see on the 920.

Has there been any reports of the 800&900 slicing through pockets like keys can do? I certainly haven't see any.

Last edited:
:confused:

does it have three straight edges coming to a point?
no it doesn't. its the corners that are sharp and cause damage, it doesn't have them.

Since when has the definition of sharp been "3 straight edges coming to a point"? Is your head so far up your own behind that you now deem it appropriate to redefine definition of words to suit your arguments?

And the first hands on google spat out came up with this:

"The Lumia 920 feels every bit like a flagship phone. As if the Lumia 900 were dipped in enamel, the glossier bodies feel no less sturdy, and the harsh lines and sharp corners make the device unmistakably a Lumia. Thanks to the sharper edges the phone feels enormous in your hand (even bigger than the 900), but it's incredibly handsome."

Don't get me wrong the 920 looks fantastic but saying it doesnt have sharp corners is like saying the SG3 doesnt have rounded coners!

I thought that was a good description of something that was sharp that might cause damage to a pocket, surely by your definition of sharp coins would rip the sh!t out of pockets, confused!

J.

I thought that was a good description of something that was sharp that might cause damage to a pocket, surely by your definition of sharp coins would rip the sh!t out of pockets, confused!

J.

What are you on about, how would my definition of sharp, make coins sharp.
What corners do coins have?

I haven't redefined what sharp means.
I'm saying the 920 won't cut through pockets.

It doesn't have pointy corners like keys.
What's the confusion?

Instead of having some pointless (hah!) argument on the Interwebs, get to a phone shop and check out a Lumia 800 or 900. They'll be the same as the Lumia 920 in terms of how sharp the corners may or may not be.

What are you on about, how would my definition of sharp, make coins sharp.
What corners do coins have?

I haven't redefined what sharp means.
I'm saying the 920 won't cut through pockets.

It doesn't have pointy corners like keys.
What's the confusion?

I was agreeing with you Glaucus, I meant Rimsy's idea that the 920's corners could damage a pocket, it is the same as saying coins could rip pockets. Coins and the Lumia 920 are not 2 dimensional objects, they have a third dimension that is curved, hence no damage to pockets... Now I'm really confused!

J.

Ah sorry dude misunderstood.

No probs, it happens. I'm quite liking the 920/820 from Nokia, I am already a WP7 user having a HTC Mozart, I already have Tango and Internet Sharing as it is Sim Free, my Bro has one with Orange and he still hasn't had the Tango update and is missing Internet Sharing, he is not happy.

When the full reviews come in and we know all the final features of WP8 I think I'll have a gander in CPW to try them out, also probably have a look at the 8X/S from HTC...

J.

Sod the corners - HTC have announced pricing, we know no-one will announce a definitive release date yet, but I wish Nokia would release pricing.
The wait is doing my head in, and pricing would be one tiny step nearer release

I know, bad case of 920 gadget lust

Who is pre-ordering and who is going to the shop to seer them on release day and then order??
I keep telling myself to wait until release day, but I know once pre-order goes up with delivery dates, Im going to find it so hard to resist..

Im lying, I wont resist :p:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom