***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
Barring the iPhone 5 actually being able to unfold into a life size Tracy Island this will replace my iPhone 4 as soon as it is available.

i just sold my iphone 4s and got a lumia 800 in cyan to bide me over till this is released.
The thing i cant stand with iphone is itunes and the restriction that it imposed.. i lost a lot of pictures i cant replace again ,( maybe with my own fault ) but still anoyying as hell .
i cant wait for this phone to be released!

Soldato
i just sold my iphone 4s and got a lumia 800 in cyan to bide me over till this is released.
The thing i cant stand with iphone is itunes and the restriction that it imposed.. i lost a lot of pictures i cant replace again ,( maybe with my own fault ) but still anoyying as hell .
i cant wait for this phone to be released!

Ive heard Zune is worse then iTunes, I know their removing it for something new that will be in W8 IIRC.

Soldato
probably just me but i think it looks hideous and tacky, whats up with the pointy corners?

It's almost embarrassing how far ahead of everything else on the market the 920 is TBH

And where and how is it so much ahead of everything else?

Theres higher resoluion screens out there, hasnt the iphone 4s been at 328 PPi for donkeys now
Theres better quad core cpus out there?
no expantion slot
its looks a bit chunky especially compared to others.
Graphics chip? is it the best available?

Last edited:
Soldato
Nokia completely faked the iS in their vids, now, if it was for the teaser, fine, I get it, Apple Samsung etc do the exact same thing for advertising.

But, in the presentation you clearly where shown a video of the other guy riding a bike, filming the supposed "Ad" with his PureView, whilst showing how they filmed them both making that teaser.

Associate
killer features PureMotion HD+ | PureView | Wireless Charging | NFC/Bluetooth JBL speakers
i still think im going with 820 unless there isn't real Price difference between 920-820

Soldato
And where and how is it so much ahead of everything else?

Theres higher resoluion screens out there, hasnt the iphone 4s been at 328 PPi for donkeys now
Theres better quad core cpus out there?
no expantion slot
its looks a bit chunky especially compared to others.
Graphics chip? is it the best available?

There's always a faster chip out there/round the corner. On the other hand, it will take a long time for other manufacturers to develop their own takes on some of the tech shown off today. Nokia are clearly thinking about how people use their phones (maybe not with 100% success given they think City Lens will be popular...). Many of the innovations in the 920 focus on making the device better rather than simply faster.

The question shouldn't be 'does it contain this new all singing, all dancing chip that will be "upstaged" in a month's time by something 3% faster', but rather 'is the phone sufficiently powerful that it can run all current and future (within a reasonable lifespan for the device) apps and games?'. Given the 920 is rocking the same SoC as the LTE Galaxy S III I would have to assume 'yes' is the answer there.

The thickness part is fair - it's a good 1mm thicker than the iPhone 4S and 2mm thicker than the GSIII and (probably) the iPhone 5. Likewise, the SD card (though tying in to the thickness point, it's probably just as well they left it out).

Associate
This is one really nice looking, well spec'ed phone!

If it does launch on Everything Everywhere day one, it will be hard to resist.

Soldato
killer features PureMotion HD+ | PureView | Wireless Charging | NFC/Bluetooth JBL speakers
i still think im going with 820 unless there isn't real Price difference between 920-820

I get the last 3 'killer' features, and wireless charging is pretty awesome, but PureMotion HD+? 48 pixels extra 'height' is a killer feature? seriously? :p

Seriously though it'll be interesting to see just what it's like, they claim better blacks but it's still an LCD, smoother scrolling (what refresh rate?) and the interesting bit is the touch with gloves etc, know it can be done as I've worked with capacitive screens that will detect touches through ~1inch of material, but they weren't exactly spectacular, be interesting to see how well this one works.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's almost embarrassing how far ahead of everything else on the market the 920 is TBH. As others have said, potentially the only let down could be WP8 (which Microsoft could really do with hurrying up with...). The camera, screen and touchscreen are all a long, long way ahead of the competition, and they've thrown in 32GB on-board storage, quad-band LTE and inductive charging just for good measure, in case anyone doubted they were picking the goal posts up and running away with them.

Welcome back Nokia.

The only let down could be the whole OS? You could have a 10Ghz i7 equivalent phone and it'd be crap if the OS is bad. Not that the 920 is anything too special hardware wise, especially big but that's it.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
The only let down could be the whole OS? You could have a 10Ghz i7 equivalent phone and it'd be crap if the OS is bad. Not that the 920 is anything too special hardware wise, especially big but that's it.

I think the OS is one of the main selling points, its simple, easy to use and very fluid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom