***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

• Thread starter Thread starter RSR
  • Start date Start date
Oh dear. Is there no chance that an update will add in the functionality? Also I'm getting an odd thing happen where sometimes the backlight seems to flicker/ strobe really fast. Auto brightness is off, so it isn't that. Is this a software fault?

EDIT: A look in the 'about' section reveals it to be a CV GB model. I take it that flashing to the latest EE firmware would a) void my warranty and b) not work?
a) Probably b) Probably

There will be an update at some point to enable it but not yet. If you sent them an EE device and they've sent you a CV device back then you need to speak to them.

Isnt there an apn setting ? Would imagine its just a case of manually setting it to EE's network cfg

Like this.

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfser...NE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=169326
Won't work

Have you been in mobile settings and selected 4G as the highest connection speed?
Not visible on CV GB software.

Thanks very much for all the help guys. If I can fix the flickering, then I'm happy to wait a few months for the update to enable 4G now that the exclusivity has ended, because they have already taken bloody ages to replace it once, and I'm coming up to a period with work where it's going to be pretty much essential to have a smartphone for a few weeks.

So, is it worth me trying to flash the EE firmware to the phone? The hope would be that this would at least fix the flickering, and hopefully add in the option to use EE's 4G network ...

Thanks very much for all the help guys. If I can fix the flickering, then I'm happy to wait a few months for the update to enable 4G now that the exclusivity has ended, because they have already taken bloody ages to replace it once, and I'm coming up to a period with work where it's going to be pretty much essential to have a smartphone for a few weeks.

So, is it worth me trying to flash the EE firmware to the phone? The hope would be that this would at least fix the flickering, and hopefully add in the option to use EE's 4G network ...

Coming from the guy that knows what he is talking about, don't do it. It won't fix the flickering anyway. That'll more than likely be a hardware issue. It will make the 4G option visible but won't do everything that's required to make it work 100%

Coming from the guy that knows what he is talking about, don't do it. It won't fix the flickering anyway. That'll more than likely be a hardware issue. It will make the 4G option visible but won't do everything that's required to make it work 100%

Given what I've read of this thread, you generally *do* seem to know what you are talking about, so I'll take your advice and send it back to the insurers with a snotty letter explaining everything using short words. Thanks again for your input.

It's a bit of a catch 22 though - the only way to get the phone from EE is on contract. The EE person I spoke to just confirmed that they *cannot* sell me one, so getting the insurers to pay me the money won't work.

When I send it back to the insurers, I would give good odds on them doing this:
1) Insert EE simcard
2) Seems to work - what was he complaining about? (I doubt the repair centre is in a 4G area judging by its address)
3) We see no flickering (it's an intermittent issue that I am beginning to suspect is heat related)
4) Send me back the same handset.

Hopefully I can stop them doing this. However unless their repair centre can somehow convince EE to give them a handset, it's still not going to work. I rang Nokias customer service number, but apparently my IMEI doesn't get me through to a human, which is nice with their flagship phone. Hmm.

EDIT: Also, did your first probably above mean that it is *likely* that the CV GB handset will eventually be able to use EE 4G or unlikely? (Couldn't tell if you meant there is probably no chance, or there was a chance.)

By flickering do you mean the brightness changing constantly as in the auto adjust not working properly? If it's the same issue I'm thinking of; the following may help (strange as it seems).

Go to the settings/keyboard and add another keyboard. This will will require a restart of your phone and it will go through some steps similar to an update. People have reported that this will sort out the auto brightness issue. You can delete the extra keyboard afterwards.

Not sure if anyone can answer this query...

I got a Black 920 from Phones4U in November last year, it's on EE but I don't seem to have the Portico update.

Any idea on how I obtain it (phone update says i'm upto date?) how long till i get it - seeing as EE handsets seem to be getting it!

Not sure if anyone can answer this query...

I got a Black 920 from Phones4U in November last year, it's on EE but I don't seem to have the Portico update.

Any idea on how I obtain it (phone update says i'm upto date?) how long till i get it - seeing as EE handsets seem to be getting it!

I thought it has been released, from looking at various sources. Can anyone else on EE confirm.

I did write a how-to guide earlier in this thread to flash a phone via Nokia Care Suite.

So what media player does eveyrone use, i want Winamp as the std players have a bad habit of pausing indefinately between tracks - esp when playing over bluetooth with car stereo..

I use the standard media player, as I've got Xbox Music. I've also got Hey DJ! which is great when I'm driving, hold my BT command button and use voice command to change albums, playlist, random. Very useful when in car.

Anyway to edit the preloaded o2 APN details? I need to change them and I know I can add my own one but can get data to work but not MMS.

Does Winamp respect CD tags in compilations unlike the built in music app?

EDIT: Also, did your first probably above mean that it is *likely* that the CV GB handset will eventually be able to use EE 4G or unlikely? (Couldn't tell if you meant there is probably no chance, or there was a chance.)

It will, just no time frame yet. Probably once the other 4G networks are in place.

Just make sure you explain to them that the EE device allows 4G, and the one you've been sent does not.

Does anyone else find that if you leave a page open for a while, then go back to it in IE and use the back arrow it closes the browser instead of going back on the page..

Whether history is retained or not depends upon how you access the web browser:
- If you switch to the browser using long back press, then history will be retained
- If you switch to the browser by live tile or app list then you will lose history, as it launches a new session.

This functionality is pretty common across apps and it's useful to understand how it works.

Back
Top Bottom