***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
There's no way they would do another variant of the phone without 4G. The functionality is embedded into the chip it is using for mobile communication. It'll be a chip designed for 4G all the way down to 2G.

Soldato
When I spoke to Nokia they said the blue and the grey didn't make the cut... think the feed back was it looked a bit 'old'?

Just to sum up the confusion over the colours.

Matte:- Black, Grey
Glossy:- White, Red, Yellow

Is anyone able to clarify what happened to the grey - is it true that it really has been dropped? Be gutted if I have to go with black...

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
So basically the people on Twitter haven't got a clue :p

You're only just working that out now? Twitter being the biggest crock of... has been the common theme of the past few days. Last I checked, EE were still insisting that the 920 can only be bought from their shops and won't work on 3G networks as it's a 4G handset...

Associate
You're only just working that out now? Twitter being the biggest crock of... has been the common theme of the past few days. Last I checked, EE were still insisting that the 920 can only be bout from their shops and won't work on 3G networks as it's a 4G handset...

Which is rubbish because none of the phones only work on 4G, they're backwards compatible. Imagine being in a non-launch city with your shiny new 920 and getting "No Service" because you could only pick up 4G :p

Going from the pics I got yesterday I think they're selling them on contract with EE, subsidised on pay as you go with T-Mobile/Orange and finally non-subsidised SIM free.

Soldato
The big remaining question is, are the SIM-Free handsets unlocked? At this point, I'm suspecting they aren't. There's a post over at WPCentral with reply from Clove - they no longer think they are getting stock. I've got a feeling we're going to be signing up with Orange/T-Mo or importing from the continent to be honest.

Associate
The big remaining question is, are the SIM-Free handsets unlocked? At this point, I'm suspecting they aren't. There's a post over at WPCentral with reply from Clove - they no longer think they are getting stock. I've got a feeling we're going to be signing up with Orange/T-Mo or importing from the continent to be honest.

Strange set up there, I wonder where they get handsets from? Surely they should have known ages a go whether they were getting them or not.

Phones 4 U site has contract deals on there now, no mention of SIM free or non 4G though

eg.

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?ItemKey=650616#offer_details

Worrying, maybe they messed up the in store advertisements?

Associate
Strange set up there, I wonder where they get handsets from? Surely they should have known ages a go whether they were getting them or not.

Worrying, maybe they messed up the in store advertisements?

More likely the deal with EE and Nokia has restrictions on what can be sold online. Some of these business deals can be quite odd and full of compromise.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Phones 4 U site has contract deals on there now, no mention of SIM free or non 4G though

eg.

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?ItemKey=650616#offer_details

As I have said before, when I have spoke to them over the phone they only where offering contracts and payg packaged deals. I also noticed they they are only offering it in Black and White, which also may go to prove my point that the Yellow and Red handset should be coming directly from Nokia and should be "sim free". Also as pointed out a number of posts up the "sim free" handsets seem to support 2 different networks on which would should be a good indication of them being sim unlocked handsets.

I am going to be testing the handset before I walk away from the store, otherwise I will be getting a refund (deposit) on it.

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
I think I have decided to do a 12 month EE deal @ £51/month.

The TCO is £663
Say the phone is worth £470, that means I am paying £16/month for the rental, which isn't too bad considering its unlimited everything + 1gb data.

Soldato
£19.99 for the handset then £56/month for 12 months, unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 3GB data, £50 cashback through Quidco. TCO: £641.99

Doesn't seem too bad. Taking £459.99 as the handset price, that's £15.17/month for unlimited calls, texts and 3GB data. I don't live in a 4G area, so not 100% sold on it, but tempted. Very tempted.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
£19.99 for the handset then £56/month for 12 months, unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 3GB data, £50 cashback through Quidco. TCO: £641.99

Doesn't seem too bad. Taking £459.99 as the handset price, that's £15.17/month for unlimited calls, texts and 3GB data. I don't live in a 4G area, so not 100% sold on it, but tempted. Very tempted.

Which cashback is that?

Associate

Only EE cashback I can see on Quidco is for the broadband?

[EDIT]Ah Phones4U cashback :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom