***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Depends on how much post processing there is in the iPhone 5. Photos out of my SLR when shooting in RAW don't look razor sharp. Most cameras run a sharpening filter after taking the photo and converting it to JPG.

What the Nokia 920 isn't doing is sharpening as much as the iPhone 5 and that's no big deal. There might be a setting on the 920 to increase this.

Sharpening filters tend to also make noise in the image more noticeable.

Just run your pics through some filters afterwards if they're not sharp enough. Anyone serious about photography has a workflow.

I hear what you're saying but it's a mobile and not an SLR, that's not a raw file either so how much processing do you think it should require? The average person is not going to be happy with those results.

Colour wise it looks decent but without a point of reference I can't be sure if it's doing a better job than the iPhone. Even after I do some processing on the picture it's still soft, the detail just isn't there. Now hopefully it's just the reviewers missing something or it's an easily fixed software issue because those results are pretty bad, unacceptable considering the truly unique feature of this phone is the camera.

Hopefully it's not down to the hardware but again this is why I'm after a decent review, need confirmation on just how good the camera and battery are.

Soldato
True, as nobody has one in their hands at the moment we can't say but there may be settings to alter this.

But you really think they are going to look at the image and go "that's not very sharp". A to B comparisons always show up differences. The 920 image is more natural.

When you post to facebook or some other sites they resample downgrade the image quality anyway.

They may not but one of the reasons i was keen on this phone was for its awesome camera as we have been lead to believe.

Associate
They may not but one of the reasons i was keen on this phone was for its awesome camera as we have been lead to believe.

It does have an awesome camera. The images captured are better balanced in tone and colour than the iPhone 5. It will capture a better imagine in low light.

The software is where the difference lies, the iPhone 5 is sharpening the images more to give the illusion of more detail. Big deal.

This is something that can be "fixed" in software.

I would say if the camera is the sole reason for buying a phone then you probably should get the 808. None of the other WP8 phones are better than the 920 as they all do post processing with the same code.

You'll have to get an iPhone 5 if you want the "sharpened" images. Why go to a sucky OS just to get some post processing?

Associate
CNET review comments on the camera too:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-920-review-50009101/

Same complaint about sharpness. It's difficult to say what the problem is at this point though - the sites releasing reviews at the moment are the ones that have rushed them in a bid to be the first published review. None of them have spent much time looking at the camera (probably why Expert Reviews have so few photos of the handset - they've skipped them to get the review out faster). In a few days we'll have a better idea - more in-depth reviews will have been conducted.

The picture looks much the same, too soft and a warm picture. The colours might be a strength but the lack of detail is a bit of a shocker.

Taken from the CNET review:

Although it packs in a capacious 2,000mAh cell, I found with pretty heavy use (downloading apps, using maps and tracking, sending numerous texts and emails) for around 4 hours it had gone from fully charged to around 25 per cent remaining. It certainly won't last an entire working day.

The battery life is the worst thing about my current phone, don't think I can put up with the same crap especially from such a big phone.

Soldato
If the battery is only going to last 4 hours then I don't think I'll be getting one :p

My iPhone 4 battery barely goes below 30% before I go to sleep and leave it on charge overnight. Could be a problem.

Here is another image comparison :

680417217.jpg

Izi

Izi

Soldato
So the battery sucks and the camera is below par. AND we have to be locked to EE? Ugh, such a let down after waiting all this time.

Man of Honour
Agreed ip4 does not last a whole day of heavy use with 30% left, not even remotely close to that. On an average day it has about 30% left, on a heavy day it's on the van charger by miday.

Associate
Uh, 'post process sharpening' would not make the Lumia 920 photo of those leaves look like the iPhone 5 photo. It seems fairly obvious from those samples that the iPhone 5 is simply capturing more detail. Which is disappointing.

Soldato
Yep, no amount of post processing is going to get the same sharpness.
The 920 almost looks like it has a low "median" setting you have in Photoshop to reduce noise, but does blur the edges.
I'm so disappointed by all of this. I so wanted this phone.

Associate
This is just going from bad to worse. Such a shame, I was unbelievably hyped for this when Nokia announced it.

Poor camera, poor battery life and poor availability coupled with a brand new OS that nobody is heavily invested in and the Android flagship Nexus 4 launching around £200 cheaper makes it an almost impossible purchase! :(

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm. What's left to choose from? Nexus 4 meh... well its android and I can't see the camera being better, the SGS3 (android again) its too plasticity for me but the camera is pretty good or the iP5 which seems to be good but I don't like the static rows of icons.

Confused.com :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I thought this may happen. I was always sceptical of the camera on this, they keep banging on about the low light performance and what are essentially software features.

Meh, they're going to have to do better than this.

As ever though - wait for some better reviews.

Associate
I'll conduct my own review when I get it.

As for the photo of the leaves. It did sharpen up, I ran a filter on it. But you would also need to whack the contrast up massively to make it look like the iPhone which is way out in terms of colour and tone.

Here's a processed version of the 920 image. Plenty of detail if you sharpen and whack the contrast up.

8144075758_e0f52b33cc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom