***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Man of Honour
Does Windows Phone 8 even have the eco system to warrent more then 16GB being a must?

Xbox music sounds like it sorts out music streaming, and there doesn't seem to be many especially good games out on W8 so the 8X seems like it would be fine to me.

Plus the 8X is the best looking W8 phone by some way in my opinion.

I can see that some people really need the extra space, however I would say the majority can get by just fine on 16GB.

Yes Xbox movies has a huge list of films and TV. It also has audible app.
Kind of depends what you do, I am high media freak. And I can't pre load as I don't know what days in work I won't be doing anything. So it needs to just be on there.

8s looks even better than 8x

I just want htc proper flagship phone, qaud core s4pro 32Gb and sd card.

Soldato
If you want the forgotten handset, try the ATIV S. Seemingly no one cares. At all. At least the 8X gets an honourable mention every page or so :p

Associate
You can buy Xbox music/Zune passes on eBay so you can get 3 months free after your free period expires or just have a pass for several months if you don't have a Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 device.

Associate
Ahh finally some decent reviews to read through, I thought the pocket lint review was overly harsh about weight as it's a bit like the Note reviews, yes it's a bloody big phone but that's the point.

I might pop into a Phones 4 U and see if I can snag one, did we ever find out when they're going to get red units?

Soldato
So The Verge found the following issues:

1. Very heavy and bulky
2. App ecosystem remains deficient
3. Some issues with LTE reception

1. I'm a man not a pussy! When did men get so soft?
2. It has all the apps i use on my iPhone and the rest will soon follow
3. Dont care for LTE

Soldato
The Verge's Video Review was fantastic. Bang on the money I think (even if I haven't used the 920). Something would be amiss if they didn't make a point of the size and weight of this thing - it is huge, it is comparatively heavy. They didn't make a song and dance about it like Pocket-Lint though, they just made the point clear and moved on to the good, then returned to say the 920 is a phone of compromises - the great camera, great screen and Nokia software being offset by the phone's bulk, heft and dearth of apps.

Made me want one though :p Still got that niggling temptation to buy on one of EE's 12 month tariffs. It seems kinda daft to buy a phone I'm not to fussed about for £30-£40/month over 24 months instead of the one I do want at £56 for 12 months. As per usual, if I lived in a 4G area, I'd be pulling the trigger.

Man of Honour
If you want the forgotten handset, try the ATIV S. Seemingly no one cares. At all. At least the 8X gets an honourable mention every page or so :p

Doesn't it lack uk 4g so not very futureproof. Also looks pretty boring and none of the extra features. Like the sensitive screen, wireless charging, built in amp.

But it's a solid phone with good storage. 16gb looks like it'll be £440 so probably £500-520 for 32Gb model. So relatively pricey.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just realized the OS doesn't do multi-tasking and that apps restart every time you open them rather than the state they were in when you last opened them.

This is a major flaw!
Seriously......its nearly 2013 for gods sake!!!

Also, if you haven't got a live-tile or set an app as a lockscreen notification (out of the five choices) then there is no way of knowing if you have a notification for that app if you miss the initial notification!!
This is bad!!!

Last edited:
Associate
Just realized the OS doesn't do multi-tasking and that apps restart every time you open them rather than the state they were in when you last opened them.

This is a major flaw!

This functionality is built into the OS, it just requires the app developers to support it.
Check out this blog entry to see how little change is potentially required:
http://mindre.net/Article/Windows_Phone_8_Fast_app_resume

Associate
I don't have a WP device but as far as I can tell, if you hold the back button you get a list of apps currently open and can reopen them in the state you left them. Different from Android and I assume iOS.

Associate
I think The Verge gave it a good review but the scoring of 7.9 is absolute ********, this sums them up nicely:

I don't expect much from "theverge" they are apple lovers, and no matter what they will always give apple better rating than others. If apple put a logo on a cow **** they give it a 9 out of 10.

I tend to stay out of these kind of arguments, I think Apple have their advantages and their weaknesses, but biased technology sites are utter ****e.

Associate
I think The Verge gave it a good review but the scoring of 7.9 is absolute ********, this sums them up nicely:

I tend to stay out of these kind of arguments, I think Apple have their advantages and their weaknesses, but biased technology sites are utter ****e.

Did you not see their 13" Retina MBP review ? They gave that a 7.8.

SUCH FANBOYS.

They published an article on the site from one editor explaining why he had chosen the HTC 8X as his next phone.

SUCH APPLE FANBOYS.

Just because somebody on a certain site has an opinion you don't agree with doesn't make them a fanboy of some other company. I actually agree with the 7.9 score, the ecosystem drags down WP8 a lot when compared to Android and especially iOS.

Then there's stupid things like the fact that Nokia Maps isn't fully integrated so if you open an address via some apps it takes you to the default navigation app.

I'd be interested to see why you think the phone is deserving of higher than what is basically an 8/10. The iPhone 5 scored 8.8, you're basically accusing them of being fanboys despite them only giving one of the best phones on the market 0.9 points higher than the Lumia 920.

I really like the Lumia 920 and am seriously considering getting one, but to say 7.9 is some kind of horrific score when the iPhone 5 is a far more complete device and only gets an 8.8 is quite frankly ridiculous.

Oh and i almost forgot. There is NO way of seeing notifications if you aren't using a live tile for that particular app. That's worthy of knocking the score down a bit straight away. Crazy lack of functionality in 2012.

Last edited:
Associate

I'm going by word of mouth, if I'm wrong I apologise. I didn't mean to offend anyone :confused:

I think the 7.9/10 is unjustified mainly due to the fact the main complaints were with the weight and ecosystem. Weight is subjective (I prefer a heavier phone), and the ecosystem over the past few months has vastly improved and will only get better as more people adopt WP8. I also think basing a phone's score on the OS skews the scores far too much, I want to know how good the phone is, not WP8; I can look at specific reviews for that.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going by word of mouth, if I'm wrong I apologise. I didn't mean to offend anyone :confused:

Don't think anybody is offended. It's just a bit silly to brand an entire site as fanboys of one company because you disagree with the score of a single phone.

Just my two cents.

Associate

This is a major flaw!

But the developer has to do this. And most thus far have not

To answer your original post, you're mistaken the OS does supports it.

To answer your second, this is true for every platform. Not really a fault or flaw of Windows Phone that developers aren't taking advantage of the features it offers.

Back
Top Bottom