***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
My check list for a new phone is basically; WP8, Nokia Drive (or other nav), decent camera, FFC for Skype. The 820 ticks all of these boxes, it's camera just isn't as good in low-light as the 920's (and it's screen resolution is lower, but I'm not too bothered). I'm close to abandoning any thoughts about buying a 920 now; it's a nice handset, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
So just to confirm, the 920 is not going to be available tomorrow any more? Its saying 14 days on their website.

Man of Honour
Nokia drive is coming to all wp8 devices, if manufactures install it.

Nokia has again said that its mapping solution Nokia Drive will be available to all Windows Phone 8 manufacturers.

The Finnish manufacturer claimed back in June that all Windows Phone 8 devices would have Nokia Drive preinstalled.

But on checking Pocket-lint’s own HTC 8X, Nokia Drive was nowhere to be found.

It would now appear that, rather than being a precursor for all Windows Phone 8 handsets, it will be up to individual manufacturers to decide whether to install it or not.

Pocket-lint has spoken to Nokia about getting hold of a definitive list of what Windows Phone 8 devices will come with Nokia Drive on board. Unfortunately Nokia said it would have this information only “in the coming days”.

It’s also unclear as to whether the app will be made available free of charge from the Windows Phone Store. Nokia Drive provides turn-by-turn directions for more than 110 countries, along with maps for 190.

Nokia hopes that its mapping solutions will not only be preinstalled on a wide array of Windows Phone 8 devices, but that developers will also use it for location-based apps.

Until the situation relating to Nokia Drive becomes a little clearer, if you’re determined to enjoy all it has to offer on the Windows Phone 8 platform, it looks like the Nokia Lumia 920 and Nokia Lumia 820 are your best bets.

Last edited:
Soldato
My check list for a new phone is basically; WP8, Nokia Drive (or other nav), decent camera, FFC for Skype. The 820 ticks all of these boxes, it's camera just isn't as good in low-light as the 920's (and it's screen resolution is lower, but I'm not too bothered). I'm close to abandoning any thoughts about buying a 920 now; it's a nice handset, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

I was trying to convince myself to go the same way, but smaller battery, low screen res, no guerrilla glass, and I just know I will have fits of jealousy once the 920 became available.
I also thought about the 8X, but I really want City Lens for a trip to Barcelona over Xmas, so that isn't an option.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Hmmm... just read the last 3 pages of this thread, no positive news. Just Nokia's biggest failure by not allowing me to use my Vodafone sim in a 920. :mad: This stupid exclusivity didn't work with the iPhone so why they doing it now.

[RXP]Andy - I hope you're able to spoof your Vodafone sim into an EE-variant so that it can be used. I look forward to your discoveries. :o

I am tempted to just buy a Note 2 now.

Soldato
how come you got both handsets so early?

As stated many times before, I work for Nokia. And no, I cannot comment on availability/prices etc, so don't ask.

You're bound to say that now it seems no one is going to actually be able to get their hands on the 920. :p

Not at all. I used the 920 for a day and swapped back to the 820. Just feels 'right' to me. Hard to explain.

Man of Honour
I actually prefer using my 820 to be fair. The 920 is great but the 820 feels so much better in my hand. My personal opinion of course though.

Do you or anyone else know what the maximum sd card size you can put in it is?
And has anyone seen the screen, it's pretty low res, is it still ok?

Man of Honour
Oh man lumia 820 supports 64Gb microsd cards :) and if they are being sold with free charging case, then the only real set back is the screen resolution.

Anyone know if car phone warehouse have any in store to have a look at?
Also with swappable battery there should be high capacity Chinese batteries on ebay soon enough.

Soldato
Eagerly awaiting some 820 reviews to be honest. And availability. Availability would be great. So far, this has actually been a bigger mess than the WP7 launch, and I thought that was the pits.

Not a good month for Microsoft really. Two big launches, and almost a week later you still can't buy a Windows 8 tablet (other than the Surface, which is now on back-order because there's nothing else available to buy) nor a Windows Phone 8 phone. How many weeks will it be before the bulk of Windows 8 tabs launch? How many weeks before all of the networks have their WP8 handsets? I'm thinking the tail end of the month. If this is supposed to be an argument against more Surface devices, it's falling pretty flat.

Associate
this should be changed to the Official Lumia 820 thread!

coming from a lower end Nokia WP (Lumia 710) i'd be more than happy taking the 820 over the 920 if the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom