***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the WP8 launch hasn't gone fine in the states. That hurricane seems to have caused problems, and last I heard there wasn't any concrete dates/prices for Verizon (similar situation to us over here) and a vague 'coming soon' page from AT&T. Having said that, AT&T's Windows Phone 8 page is fantastic - really shows off the phones and the OS. I guess the Windows 8 launch went smoother though.

this should be changed to the Official Lumia 820 thread!

coming from a lower end Nokia WP (Lumia 710) i'd be more than happy taking the 820 over the 920 if the price is right.

Maybe we should start one? Or maybe wait until the reviews start rolling in. I expect in a week or two this thread is gonna die a bit anyway - I can't see many of us jumping through these hoops to get the Lumia 920 if the 820 and 8X are available on reasonable tariffs. It's good, but it's not THAT good.

Man of Honour
this should be changed to the Official Lumia 820 thread!

coming from a lower end Nokia WP (Lumia 710) i'd be more than happy taking the 820 over the 920 if the price is right.

£370 sim free or free with £29 a month contracts.

Someone should make an 820 thread, it's getting very attractive. Not just becuase of the mess up. But all uk versions are coming with free charging case.
Swappable covers, which means swappable battery, supports 64Gb sd card (more storage the better for me), carphoneware house is supposedly also including a free charging plate as well.
So downsides screen res and screen size(if you think bigger screen the better)

Soldato

Someone should make an 820 thread, it's getting very attractive. Not just becuase of the mess up. But all uk versions are coming with free charging case.
Swappable covers, which means swappable battery, supports 64Gb sd card (more storage the better for me), carphoneware house is supposedly also including a free charging plate as well.

And possibly camera, what we need is credible reviews now.

Soldato

To be fair, if you like the lumia 900 screen then you should be happy with the 820 as it is the same res..
HTC and Samsung aren't options as I want the Nokia apps, Im off to Barcelona so Im thinking of doing things differently and trying this whole always connected bit as Vodafone passport is pretty cheap right now. Im planning on not taking my DSLR and just living with my phone camera and using nokia maps to get around and City Lens to discover the city, and blogging as I go.
So battery life is key as is the camera, I plan on buying portable batteries to get me through the day, but there is a fair bit of difference between the 820/920 batteries.

At a push, the 820 might be a short term compromise, depends on the review, but the CW free charging plate is only for pre-orders, so will only be valid for the next couple of days, looking now, the page has disappeared from their site..

Soldato
The page disappeared not long after rumours of a Nokia Lumia delay surfaced. A lot of unhappy people on other forums - they're taking it as a sign that the rumours are true, the Lumias are delayed. No idea if it's true or not - CPW could have pulled the page for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can't hold an extra 50g one handed, who do they get to hold it. Other than weight and apps(which depends what you use) its a extremely positive review.

Associate
I played with the 920 for three hours the other night and whilst I agree it is big all the reviews complaining about its weight is pathetic.

I mean seriously are they that weak? No one goes into a store and checks the weight of a phone. They will hold it and see if it feels big but no one has ever gone "that phone is too heavy" and I worked for O2 for a year so that's just stupid.

And what is even more stupid is all those journalists carry around heavy bags with equipment so really they shouldn't be crying like little girls over 50g.

Pussies...

Associate
The 820 may now be coming with changing plates but you would still need to shell out on the wireless charger. I'm not particularly happy with the resolution on the 820 as it offers no improvement over my S2 so don't really consider it viable. Could very easily change my mind though :p

Soldato
I'm wondering why everyone is automatically thinking about the 820 when they are put off the 920.

What about the 8X surely that should be the goto phone if your not wanting to get 'the tank'?

Soldato
I'm wondering why everyone is automatically thinking about the 820 when they are put off the 920.

What about the 8X surely that should be the goto phone if your not wanting to get 'the tank'?

Depends really. The 8X has a higher resolution screen and better front camera, but the 820 has some of it's own toys. Nokia Drive, super-sensitive touch, microSD. It's not cut and dry. I know I'm torn.

Man of Honour

I don't think anyone in here is dismissing 920 due to size.
8x is out of the question due to only being 16Gb. But it's not their flagship model. It seems Microsoft forced manufactures to only release dual core, but I can't understand why, qaud core htc phone has linked and htc have confirmed its in the works, expected early 2013, so I expect that to have much bigger storage.

8s allthough having sd(32gb max) compared to 820 64Gb max, does not have enough rooms to install many apps on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Depends really. The 8X has a higher resolution screen and better front camera, but the 820 has some of it's own toys. Nokia Drive, super-sensitive touch, microSD. It's not cut and dry. I know I'm torn.

Lumia 820 doesn't have super sensitive touch, that's 920 only.
Also nokia drive should be on all wp8 devices, but may take a few weeks/months to sort out.

Edit - awesome I'm wrong it is on the 820, even better.
Nokia's new Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 phones bring in a Synaptics ClearPad Series 3 sensor whose responsiveness will keep those hands toasty. Super Sensitive Touch, as Nokia calls it, lets the capacitive surface react to more than just direct skin contact: it can recognize input through gloves, as well as from those with long fingernails

Last edited:
Associate

Good question. I'm not ruling the HTCs out I think they look great. The main pull with Nokia seem to be the apps. Not just their own but they're managing to get exclusive apps made by others in their selection too.

Soldato
I don't think anyone in here is dismissing 920 due to size.
8x is out of the question due to only being 16Gb. But it's not their flagship model. It seems Microsoft forced manufactures to only release dual core, but I can't understand why, qaud core htc phone has linked and htc have confirmed its in the works, expected early 2013, so I expect that to have much bigger storage.

8s allthough having sd(32gb max) compared to 820 64Gb max, does not have enough rooms to install many apps on.

Does Windows Phone 8 even have the eco system to warrent more then 16GB being a must?

Xbox music sounds like it sorts out music streaming, and there doesn't seem to be many especially good games out on W8 so the 8X seems like it would be fine to me.

Plus the 8X is the best looking W8 phone by some way in my opinion.

I can see that some people really need the extra space, however I would say the majority can get by just fine on 16GB.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmmm... just read the last 3 pages of this thread, no positive news. Just Nokia's biggest failure by not allowing me to use my Vodafone sim in a 920. :mad: This stupid exclusivity didn't work with the iPhone so why they doing it now.

[RXP]Andy - I hope you're able to spoof your Vodafone sim into an EE-variant so that it can be used. I look forward to your discoveries. :o

I am tempted to just buy a Note 2 now.

Or an HTC 8x!?

Why does everyone keep forgetting that one...:p

It's almost more attractive than the Nokia! Just a shame it doesn't have the super sensitive screen.

Back
Top Bottom