***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
I can tell you that my nearest p4u store is due some today but there is a waiting list. I've been reading this thread for a few days now and can understand people's reaction to the mess that seems to have been made of the introduction of this phone. I called 3 p4u stores and also their web sales and got totally different answers. I'm thinking of paying £459 sim free and then getting it unlocked (my wife is on t-mobile so she can get it unlocked). Anyway one store said it wouldn't be sim locked, one said it wasn't out until the middle of the month and the web sales lot said it wouldn't be sold sim free! and then couldn't answer me when I said I'd seen POS showing that they were. The final store said it would be in today and could take any EE Group sim which I think is now the accepted answer by most. Still I'd have to wait up to 28 days once the wife requests the unlock!!

Man of Honour
The Verge are not biased. I think they praise and review things fairly. They tend to use opinion more than other sites but that isn't always a bad thing.

It's rather irritating to see people pulling out the fanboy card at their earliest convenience.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;23084635 said:
Sim free anyone? Click Here or Here or Here

I tried to order the black from the Amazon link and was refused as I have a non-german address - then I noticed it is a reseller, will wait until next week when they go on sale and try again

edit - the cyberport shop worked though, one black 920 ordered and should be with me between 3-10 days

Last edited:
Soldato
The Verge are not biased. I think they praise and review things fairly. They tend to use opinion more than other sites but that isn't always a bad thing.

It's rather irritating to see people pulling out the fanboy card at their earliest convenience.

All the reviews look good to me, certainly on par for the what it is. (a few on here want to think it's the second coming :p) If only it was £240... :D

To answer your original post, you're mistaken the OS does supports it. (multitasking)

Fast app switching is still JPEG-compressed screenshots and reloading apps :p
No idea when they'll implement it fully, we all know it's NT based, for me WP8 is the big disappointment.

Associate
All the reviews look good to me, certainly on par for the what it is. (a few on here want to think it's the second coming :p) If only it was £240... :D

Much of the price is the hardware costs. Plus Microsoft has to make something out of it too.

The Nexus phone takes advantage of vertical integration where by Google doesn't really have to pay itself for licences for Google Play etc. But this move is starting to upset OEMs.

Soldato
Much of the price is the hardware costs. Plus Microsoft has to make something out of it too.

The Nexus phone takes advantage of vertical integration where by Google doesn't really have to pay itself for licences for Google Play etc. But this move is starting to upset OEMs.

Source for the upset OEMs?

As far as I am concerned Google have helped launch OEMs into the main stream with Nexus device's.

Nexus One from HTC put them on the map, Nexus S was released before Samsung were anywhere near the massive size they are today and now LG who themselves are a small name in the smartphone world are getting Googles helping hand with a Nexus release.

I would think that Nokia pay Microsoft very little for licences probably the least of any of the Windows Phone manufacturers, there are strong ties between the two companies the head of Nokia is ex-Microsoft, in fact I was under the impression that perhaps Microsoft were paying Nokia to be an exclusively Windows Phone company...

Last edited:
Associate
I tried to order the black from the Amazon link and was refused as I have a non-german address - then I noticed it is a reseller, will wait until next week when they go on sale and try again

edit - the cyberport shop worked though, one black 920 ordered and should be with me between 3-10 days

How much does it roughly work out as cost wise? And would the LTE radio work in the UK? :)

Associate
Source for the upset OEMs?

As far as I am concerned Nexus devices have helped launch OEMs into the main stream with Nexus device's.

Nexus One from HTC put them on the map, Nexus S was released before Samsung were anywhere near the massive size they are today and now LG who themselves are a small name in the smartphone world are getting Googles helping hand with a Nexus release.

I would think that Nokia pay Microsoft very little for licences probably the least of any of the Windows Phone manufacturers, there are strong ties between the two companies the head of Nokia is ex-Microsoft, in fact I was under the impression that perhaps Microsoft were paying Nokia to be an exclusively Windows Phone company...

Samsung have invested in Tizen and there's handset running that coming out soon. Why would they bother doing that if everything in Android land was peachy?

Associate

Sorry but giving Apple favourable reviews is pretty widespread. The reason? it's pretty simple, Apple product launches have typically been big news in the media and if you don't give Apple a good review then your site doesn't get a press pass. Sites which are relying on advertising need lots of people visiting their sites.

The Register gave the iPhone 5 a pretty high score despite the poor maps, casing scratches and other generally limited improvements. Yet an Android phone will get 75% if it has similar failings.

Soldato
Samsung have invested in Tizen and there's handset running that coming out soon. Why would they bother doing that if everything in Android land was peachy?

Samsung invest in everything they can, they very much keep all their options open, that says nothing about Android... they have made literally billions out of Android, they are the company that would be most happy with Android tbh.

Associate
Just realized the OS doesn't do multi-tasking and that apps restart every time you open them rather than the state they were in when you last opened them.

This is a major flaw!
Seriously......its nearly 2013 for gods sake!!!

Also, if you haven't got a live-tile or set an app as a lockscreen notification (out of the five choices) then there is no way of knowing if you have a notification for that app if you miss the initial notification!!
This is bad!!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3587864/windows-phone-8-notification-center

Seems that Microsoft just 'ran out of time' with regards to notifications.

Back
Top Bottom