***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;23092084 said:
What I do find odd is The Verge have given the N4 and the L920 the same score on the camera...... Bit odd...

The Verges review is all over the place in scores, I actually don't think the Verge was overly negative or Bias ( but they do have a thing against anything Microsoft related, not overly much but it does show at times), but they sure as hell don't make any sense when it comes to that final scoring system.

Soldato
Been reading this thread for the last couple of days now, but only just been validated as a member to post.

I was very close yesterday to ordering the 920 from the German website as I have 6 months left on my o2 contract and didnt want to have to switch.

Having looked at the EE contracts the 12 month 3GB £56 a month contract was looking quite appealing as it works out as £692 for the year (~£16 a month for 3GB 4G data when taking away the handset only cost) and I'd be able to let my sister use the remainder of my o2 contract so not to waste money.

Problem is P4U say they no longer do 12 month contracts and i really dont want to be locked in for 24 months, but i really want the yellow 920 which is exclusive to P4U and also would like to get the £50 cashback through quidco.

Went into both central Bristol P4U stores this morning and neither have the handset and they don't reckon they will get them until at least middle of the month.
Could you not just pay the bit extra ( we are not talking a huge amount here) and get the sim free as a couple of us here have done from Cyberport?
I understand if you want it Via a contract, but I dont think it worth the hassle of buying one within the UK right now.

Soldato
Can anyone give me some assistance. I plan to buy the handset from p4u and then get my wife to unlock it as she is on t mobile and I'm on vodafone. I've just been googling and some people think that unlocking the sim will reset the imei to zero's and invalidate the warranty! I think they are talking crap as getting a subsidy pin (as t mobile call it) from a carrier should not invalidate anything?! Also does anyone know if t mobile require the handset to be registered for a certain period before an unlock request can be made?

As I said above if you are buying it outright from P4U can you not just buy where some of us have and save yourself the hassle?

Associate
I believe it was web orders.
Thats working from memory though so check where you can.

Some POS photographed said there was the free charger in-store. No mention of the speakers though. Although I find it a bit misleading having an ad up for the first 500 orders. I find it hard to believe there hasn't already been 500 orders on the website.

Soldato
Could you not just pay the bit extra ( we are not talking a huge amount here) and get the sim free as a couple of us here have done from Cyberport?
I understand if you want it Via a contract, but I dont think it worth the hassle of buying one within the UK right now.

That's the best option, if you have saved and/or can afford to splash out. If not, its a great way of spreading the payments over 12 months. It also depends on who you are as to whether £500 is a "huge amount" ;)

The 1GB option works out even cheaper than the 3GB at £662. Very reasonable and my preferred option at the minute.

Associate

Yeah I understand your point, and I was so close to ordering from there, but then I wasnt sure what exchange rate i'd get and also would miss out on the free charging mat. I think at the moment I'm just going to sit and wait and see how things develop.

The crazy thing is everyone I have spoken to at P4U ( 3 people in different stores, and 2 of their online help chat people) are adamant that all the phones they sell sim free, are not locked to a particular network. Guess this is just another example of P4U/nokia being useless at getting the information to their own workers, let alone their potential customers.

Soldato
@ Lemmiwinks, I does seem confusing even on THAT front what you get with what exclusive order, 500 for the nation isn't that much I wouldn't think, well maybe, well for Nokias sake I hope not lol.

Theirs one thing even though I have ordered one you cant deny, this is one of the worst product launches that serves my memory at least for a VERY long time.
If it was a case their was a mad rush and pre-orders where selling them out etc, I could understand that, but thats not the case here.

Compounded that it seems we are dealing with three incompetent companies now.

Nokia, EE, and P4U.

Soldato
Yeah I understand your point, and I was so close to ordering from there, but then I wasnt sure what exchange rate i'd get and also would miss out on the free charging mat. I think at the moment I'm just going to sit and wait and see how things develop.

The crazy thing is everyone I have spoken to at P4U ( 3 people in different stores, and 2 of their online help chat people) are adamant that all the phones they sell sim free, are not locked to a particular network. Guess this is just another example of P4U/nokia being useless at getting the information to their own workers, let alone their potential customers.

Thats shocking that in store they would no reverse what their own (Twitter feed was it?)...is saying.
I understand on the Euro front, I think my bank offer a VERY small charge for the transfer if anything at all, maybe worth calling your bank?

Another option for those not liking the contracts is just taking a credit free card lol, plenty about, same as a monthly bill with no extra fee or being stuck in a crap network and tariff!

Soldato
Something has obviously be very wrong with these handsets and availability; P4U, the two EE stores and the two CPW stores in my town have PoS, display units and dummy handsets, yet nobody knows when they'll be in stock. The stores are evidently ready to sell them, but they have no handsets to sell. To my mind, that points to there being some sort of last minute problem - they wouldn't have been telling people Friday, with all of the PoS and displays in place to sell the devices by Friday, if the date was always a couple of weeks away.

CPW are offering the 820 from free on a £26/month two-year contact. PoS says you get a free Windows 8 Pro upgrade with the handset. There is a charging plate on display and the PoS encourages you to try Wireless Charging, but there's no working unit available.

Soldato
Hmm about £500 before delivery, would love grey but not sold on when they would get them in.

Sneakily im thinking if ze Germans come good, and we get them next week maybe?....then we have full sim free phones to sell on foea good price I think and pay a small difference to get the preferred colour if it suddenly becomes available.

Also, does the 920 come WITH a wireless charging plate in the box?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Hmm about £500 before delivery, would love grey but not sold on when they would get them in.

Sneakily im thinking if ze Germans come good, and we get them next week maybe?....then we have full sim free phones to sell on foea good price I think and pay a small difference to get the preferred colour if it suddenly becomes available.
I will be funny if we get the handsets before P4U / EE users. :D

EDIT:

No, It doesn't come with a charging plate out the box. Even so I have still ordered the stand.

Soldato
Anywhere the plates are available from thats more...local?

Nevermind, usual places it would seem.
Stuck a pre order in with Hand0Tec.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wanted the plate for my bedside just, don't think ill need another or the stand.

I may have been rash, so I want the plate or the pillow thing.

Last edited:
Associate
On the back of this revelation, I just ordered the 12 month deal that's been sat in my P4U basket for a few days. Free wireless speaker, free charging plate, £50 Quidco - seems good value to me. Might get cancelled yet though given they've removed the 12 month tariffs from their site.

Why would anyone consider the 24 month option? It makes no sense as it doubles the cost and you don't gain anything unless you need over 3GB. Makes far more sense to me to have the choice of being able to upgrade after 12 months, bail if the network doesn't work out or the money saved could buy whatever the new most amazing phone ever is.

P4U only doing 24 month contracts makes absolutely no sense to me and when they're priced exactly the same as ordering from EE what's the point of using P4U? I suppose you would lose the £50 cash back but who cares when you're going to pay £500 + for the extra 12 months.

Back
Top Bottom