***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
I don't get Microsoft and how they market products. I never see adverts for Windows Mobile devices and general consumers have no idea what they are about, yet MS and Nokia go for exclusive deals with single carriers in the UK and the USA. Exclusivity only works if your product is well known and sought after! It's as if they want Windows Phone 8 to fail like 7 did :(

Why not have a massive advertising campaign and make the handsets available wherever ffs. Lack of release dates, information, etc, etc is just stupid when they are only selling it via one carrier in the UK! They should be promoting it and be providing all the information required already relating to release dates, etc.

Windows Phone 8 looks great, but I reckon it is going to flop as MS and marketing don't go together.

Man of Honour
ms and Nokia aren't the same companie.
Neither htc or Samsung have exclusiptivity on their phones.

MS aphave a huge advertising budget and I think are doing well, seen a fair few adverts on TV and whilst out and about.

The platform won't fail, as its backed up by tablets/laptops and desktops and its very easy to port apps between them, which is allready showing through with loads of apps available on all three systems.

Soldato
ms and Nokia aren't the same companie.
Neither htc or Samsung have exclusiptivity on their phones.

MS aphave a huge advertising budget and I think are doing well, seen a fair few adverts on TV and whilst out and about.

The platform won't fail, as its backed up by tablets/laptops and desktops and its very easy to port apps between them, which is allready showing through with loads of apps available on all three systems.

I agree it won't fail, Windows 8 is probably the strongest tablet platform, I expect that it will do better in this area then on phones though. I just feel the phone UI a little cluttered and lacking in some important areas still, like notifications for instance.

I do hope it does well though, more competition is never a bad thing.

Man of Honour
Notifications is coming in an update. They where very good at adding new features in w7 and I think they will do even better with w8 and the underlying OS is so much more powerful.

It better come with a disable button though. Notifications are important for a system, as loads of people like them, but personally I hate notifications. The simple notifications on the lock screen is all I need and want.

They need a bigger range of phones. But that also should be coming in new year, when other manufactures start releasing them. Like huawei and others. One place wp8 and tablets can really conquer is Coporations.

Soldato
I'm surprised they weren't pushing the Corporation adaption more at their events, they seem perfectly placed right now to gobble up what is left of RIM's grip on the business sector...

Samsung have mentioned being I talks with some big companies to supply smartphones, tablets and PCs. They said they see value in being able to offer a complete solution on one platform. Right now, they're the only company on this planet that can offer an entire portfolio of devices based on the Windows 8 family, and Windows 8 is the only family of devices that spans desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones, with tight integration throughout. It's a unique offering to business.

Associate
Why not have a massive advertising campaign and make the handsets available wherever ffs. Lack of release dates, information, etc, etc is just stupid when they are only selling it via one carrier in the UK! They should be promoting it and be providing all the information required already relating to release dates, etc.

I think the exclusivity is their shot at trying to achieve this, as far as I remember from the 800/900 release they were just out onto the market and didn't get a huge amount of interest but when you walk into an EE store they're going to be actively pushing the 920 handset. It may turn out to be a bad idea but I can certainly see the logic behind such a move.

I saw one of those awful adverts I linked above and strangely it was preceded by a Note 2 advert, hopefully it'll resonate with the average punter who's after a really really big phone. :p

Associate
I find these reviews baffling.

It's heavy and there aren't many apps... Well thank you for that obvious information.

There doesn't seem to be any actual problems with the phone other than those and I don't think weight is ever a real world problem consumers have.

Then there is apps but Nokia and Microsoft are doing all they can to sort that out so it isn't a concern to me.

The world surely needs more reviewers pointing out Windows phone has less apps!

What I find baffling about these reviews is they're inconsistent, some say the camera's soft, some say the camera's amazing, some say it's a bit of both. Surely if they took their job seriously they'd actually look into why we're seeing such a different set of results? I'd feel much happier about getting one if I had confirmation that this issue can be resolved by careful handling or software updates and that's assuming there is an issue on the final hardware.

Same story with the battery, looking at the Engadget review they have it lasting less time than a 800 which cannot be right (or if it is, it's a bit of a disaster).

Associate
Read the full thing and the Verge review... still want it. :p

Willing to hope that more apps will come out and Microsoft/Nokia come up with loads of updates to fix the negatives of the phone and wp8.

you wasted your time with theverge review
they hate MS and Nokia

Man of Honour
you wasted your time with theverge review
they hate MS and Nokia

They really don't. Surely some of you in here aren't going to stick your heads in the sand when it comes to any negative criticism. Blind loyalty is foolish.

I've read all of the reviews and if I had my heart set on getting this phone - as some of you do - I haven't seen anything that would put me off, it seems fine.

Associate
Can anyone give me some assistance. I plan to buy the handset from p4u and then get my wife to unlock it as she is on t mobile and I'm on vodafone. I've just been googling and some people think that unlocking the sim will reset the imei to zero's and invalidate the warranty! I think they are talking crap as getting a subsidy pin (as t mobile call it) from a carrier should not invalidate anything?! Also does anyone know if t mobile require the handset to be registered for a certain period before an unlock request can be made?

Associate
Same here. That definitely delivery doesn't have the Lumia 920 in it.

Not that I should be surprised it is phones4u

They said they get deliveries Tuesday, Friday and Saturday so maybe next week when it is actually meant to be available on the 9th.

Back
Top Bottom