***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Slightly confused on the Cyberport.de website - used google to translate etc. but when I go through the order the payment type was classed as "payment" - I had to go back in to the account after finishing the order and add my card details - was this the same for others?

Order status is described as "In Progress"...

Associate
Why would anyone consider the 24 month option? It makes no sense as it doubles the cost and you don't gain anything unless you need over 3GB. Makes far more sense to me to have the choice of being able to upgrade after 12 months, bail if the network doesn't work out or the money saved could buy whatever the new most amazing phone ever is.

P4U only doing 24 month contracts makes absolutely no sense to me and when they're priced exactly the same as ordering from EE what's the point of using P4U? I suppose you would lose the £50 cash back but who cares when you're going to pay £500 + for the extra 12 months.

Exactly the same conclusion I came to, just a shame EE only have the black and white, so couldnt get the yellow or red. Exclusivity sucks!

Associate
Associate
Any news on the 820?
the handsets are becoming too large, we saw the woman whip out the S3 at a Tesco Express self service till, sorry not a good sight.

You know there is a thread for the 820 right?

Nonsense about handsets being too large, I'm sick and tired of things becoming smaller at the price of how well they work and there's more choice when it comes to choosing smaller handsets than larger ones.

Associate
You know there is a thread for the 820 right?

Nonsense about handsets being too large, I'm sick and tired of things becoming smaller at the price of how well they work and there's more choice when it comes to choosing smaller handsets than larger ones.

who cares about a 820 thread? cmon get a grip we are talking about a nokia handset for 920/820 right now.

Associate
Associate
who cares about a 820 thread? cmon get a grip we are talking about a nokia handset for 920/820 right now.

You I assume seeing as you asked about the 820.

Boys, I might add, the fad with mobile phones, are they:
just that they are a telephone
they are a fad, can we try and put energy into
desktop computers?

It's been an awfully long fad wouldn't you say? Traditional desktops are in decline and it's actually a good thing.

Associate
It's been an awfully long fad wouldn't you say? Traditional desktops are in decline and it's actually a good thing.

The home computer market increased rapidly due to the Internet. So you can assume that most people have computers for the Internet.

So tablets and phones do replace the computer for most people.

Those doing computer art, music, 3D graphics, websites and coding obviously still need a traditional machine to do it well.

I do think there is a limit as to how big phones can get before they become pointless as a mobile device. Perhaps if they perfect those rollable displays we can at least roll up the screen.

Associate
Thought I would mention an interesting conversation I had with one of Nokias live chat helpers on Thursday afternoon.

Having seen the announcements that the nokia 920 would be released on the Friday (2/11/12) I asked the helper whether they could confirm the handset would be available the next day. The helper gave a reply along the lines of "We currently do not have any specific information on the release date so can't confirm this." I was like, hang on a moment, there are articles all over the internet with quotes from Nokia saying the release date would be the 2nd, I even sent them a link to one of the articles, and all I got in reply was "We currently don't have any specific information."

I was getting pretty fed up at this point, how could Nokia themselves not know the release date of their own product, about to give up I thought I'd at least try to get some kind of confirmation from Nokia on something, so I asked whether they could confirm that the Lumia 920 was exclusive to EE. Thinking this would be an easy reply for them as it appeared to be common knowledge everywhere that it was I once again got the reply along the lines of "We currently do not have any specific information about service providers." Again I sent them the link to the P4U website where it says EE exclusive but they still wouldnt confirm it.

Now I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, whether I just had someone who didnt like me asking questions so wasn't willing to give any answers or whether the people at Nokia themselves really don't have a clue whats going on. Its starting to look like the later. This really has to be the worst product launch in history.

Soldato
Now I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, whether I just had someone who didnt like me asking questions so wasn't willing to give any answers or whether the people at Nokia themselves really don't have a clue whats going on. Its starting to look like the later. This really has to be the worst product launch in history.

It most certainly is not the latter. You'll probably find that they have been instructed not to give out specific information.

Associate
The home computer market increased rapidly due to the Internet. So you can assume that most people have computers for the Internet.

So tablets and phones do replace the computer for most people.

Those doing computer art, music, 3D graphics, websites and coding obviously still need a traditional machine to do it well.

I don't disagree but my comments were aimed squarely at the average user, who'll have mostly modest requirements besides maybe playing games.

Right now it's still a little impractical (if for no reason other than cost) but in many ways tablets make just as good desktop replacements as laptops, use an external mouse, keyboard and monitor and the lines become very blurred between what's a desktop and what's a tablet.

I have a decent desktop machine for my work (web design/development with .net) so I have no reason to buy anything else currently but I see no reason a Surface Pro wouldn't make a perfectly suitable device to work from once hooked up to the same accessories.

I do think there is a limit as to how big phones can get before they become pointless as a mobile device. Perhaps if they perfect those rollable displays we can at least roll up the screen.

No one (?) wants a bigger device than is necessary of course but I don't see why people are annoyed at the size of devices like the Note 2 or 920 as the majority of the market is using a 4 inch or smaller screen and I like having choices.

The pursuit of an ever smaller device doesn't always make them better, I found an iPhone 4 to be more comfortable with a bumper despite the size increase and Apple could have crushed the competition if they hadn't shrunk the depth and used that extra space for the battery (there are other areas such as monitors/TVs where the pursuit for an ever smaller bezel has given us worse image quality but let's not get sidetracked you hopefully get my point).

I'll concede that a lot of the 'flagship' models are big phones but that's fairly logical as it takes time to adapt the latest technology to smaller sizes, the 920 is big because it has a large battery, wireless charging and optical image stabilisation, if you want a small phone you have to sacrifice some or all of those features.

Back
Top Bottom