**** The Official Note 5 thread ****

Soldato
This seems to be worst idea since mr & mrs hitler went upstairs sexy time.
I wasn't really interested in the note 5, but was after a 4 that i thought the mm would be flooded with after upgrades........ Looks like that won't be happening :(

Soldato
I was at first pretty underwhelmed by the Note5, but now I'm quite interested and I think I know what game Samsung is playing. Look at Apple: sealed battery and charge a fortune for storage. They're the biggest company in the world and sell boatloads of overpriced units that people are desperate to buy. So does Samsung either:

A. Chase dwindling sales from people who want removable SD cards and swappable batteries
B. Make their phones as desirable as Apple's products and try to tap into that much, much bigger audience.

Samsung are clearly trying to play Apple at their own game. The Note 5 is basically what the new iPhone 6 Plus is going to be when it's released, but with an SPen. The Note5 looks beautiful but they've not gone overboard with the specs arms race since Apple doesn't exactly overspec their products.

The last S6 was an equivalent product to the iphone 6 in terms of build quality and desirability and the Note5 is this year's iphone 6 plus. You can argue that sales of Samsung's products have been in decline, but their business strategy might take some time to pay off. They are the only Android manufacturer big enough to take Apple on in this game. Whether you like Apple or not, if you go into one of their shops and pick up one of their phones, you can't help but wish more phones were made as well. Samsung now has genuinely competing products and I hope they succeed.

EDIT for myself, I have a Note 2. I was very very close to upgrading to a Note 4 but I didn't because I realised that the Note5 was almost certainly going to be as stunning as the S6. I want a non-Apple product that looks and feels as nice as an Apple product. Peelable plastic backs with faux leather? I don't want, thanks. The Note series are amazing phones only let down by Samsung's attempts to throw everything in there and compromising the look and feel because of it. I am hopeful that the Note 5 will be the device I want. However if it's not available in the UK this year I may well find myself with this year's iphone 6 plus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think everybody knows what samsung is trying to do. But they could have do it without sacrificing sd storage quiet easily. Its nothing but samsung wanting to bolster their own pockets. Cant blame them for that, business is business, but it stinks. my 32gb note 4 has a 64gb card in it because i use the space. Now when i upgrade i'll have to pay samsungs internal storage tax. Shame, this note 4 may well be my 3rd and final samsung device for a while.

Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with the back of the note 4. this insistence on making the backs out of slippery grease collecting glass is not an improvement. Never saw the appeal of a glass backed phone. Apple moved away from them with the iPhone 6, so Samsung appear a bit behind the times if they are trying to keep up with Apple.

The Note series are amazing phones only let down by Samsung's attempts to throw everything in there and compromising the look and feel because of it. I am hopeful that the Note 5 will be the device I want. However if it's not available in the UK this year I may well find myself with this year's iphone 6 plus.
disagree. the problem with the note 4 is the software, typical samsung failing but they have been especially poor in supporting the note 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nornmally id be all over the first Hands on videos for Note 5 but it does no interest me in the slightlest, same with the s6 edge+

the nexus 2015 is our next hope, lets hope they dont dissappoint! (maybe new moto x too)

Soldato
disagree. the problem with the note 4 is the software, typical samsung failing but they have been especially poor in supporting the note 4.

I was including the software in the "look and feel" comment. Even the Note 2 has half a dozen features that only exist in order to be turned off. I was under the impression they'd slightly de-bloated the S6 and assumed they'd continue in this fashion.

Soldato
Well that's 20mins of my life lost I wont get back watching that awful announcement

So here's hoping on the new Nexus or LG G4 pro(or what ever phablet willbe named) or maybe a Sony z5

September might bring some promise of a decent phone for me

Soldato
the nexus 2015 is our next hope, lets hope they dont dissappoint! (maybe new moto x too)

Let's try and write the specs for it in advance:

Big chunky plastic body
Big screen. Perhaps at an unnecessary 4k resolution.
Blahblah qualcomm chipset at 0.2ghz higher tham last year's model.
Fixed storage at 32gb and hen's teeth 64gb model.
Slightly too small battery.
Stock android.
Wireless charging.

These sorts of iterative changes are why the next Nexus will be a tiny niche product that people will be bored of 4 months after buying it. It's throwaway flagship technology at its very finest, except for the small minority who actually care that they're running vanilla Android. At least the Note5 will look good in 4 years time if you happen to keep it that long.

Soldato
But then again it doesn't matter how good or not the note 5 is, seem as we aint getting it :rolleyes:

I really don't see the point of the S6plus by the looks of it the only difference (or main) is no S-pen. Surely you want that?? I'm also guessing the price is going to be very close to each other if not the same.

It's like BMW releasing a new M3, but they also revise the old M3 to be near Identical at the same time, the only difference is the new one has rear seats and they've left them out of the 'revised' one. oh and the new one isn't available to you.

Whats the point of the pre next iPhone release, if your not going to sell it to us???
And by the time you do, the next years models will be just around the corner.

Soldato
So the 6plus will be more than the note 5 - more for less??

From Slash gear:
Pricing for the 64GB variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 with AT&T will be as follows:

64GB Two year pricing: $349.99
64GB No commit pricing: $839.99

AT&T Pricing for the Galaxy Note 5's 32GB edition will be as follows:

32GB Two year pricing: $249.99
32GB No commit pricing: $739.99

For the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, variants will be priced as follows:

32GB Two year pricing: $299.99
32GB No commit pricing: $814.99
64GB Two year pricing: $399.99
64GB No commit pricing: $914.99

Soldato
So if you missed the missable here it is again:

I've just watched that - what an awful presentation; the 'car salesman guy' was dire, his style was similar to watching a product launch from the 80's. "The Keyboard cover" - awesome :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well they have certainly toned it down from their previous musical numbers like I mentioned earlier in the thread. However, it's still painful to watch.

Associate
So if you missed the missable here it is again:

The S6 presentation was ok but that was just horrible. When did they ever listen?

Samsungkey.jpg

Associate

Apparently that was an error on samsung's website,however there does seem to be hope that the asian variant will include microsd card support via the second sim http://phandroid.com/2015/08/14/dual-sim-note-5-microsd/

Hopefully the hong kong version will support this and i can imagine a few online retailers are going to offer it for sale in the uk.

I've imported samsung tablets in the past from Hong kong so i would be willing to do the same as long as the duo version really will support expandable memory

Last edited:
Soldato
For some reason I imagine a selling point of the Note 6 is going to be we listened to our customers and we've added back the removable SD card and battery lol. Also does anyone actually like having a glass back? I personally don't use a case much and I can imagine the back on the note 4 will feel so much nicer in the hand compared to a glass back. Plus its going to be a finger print and scratch magnet. I always lay my note 4 down on surfaces so I can imagine you will be less inclined to do that with a glass back.

Back
Top Bottom