**** The Official Note 5 thread ****

Don
Guys, face it. The SD card is gone and it's not coming back. Google have made it clear with their continued sidelining of SD support that it's not wanted. As I've said before, I bet 99% of Note customers don't even use the SD card.
If it was such a dealbreaker for so many people, do you really think that Samsung with all their market researchers would remove it?

Soldato
Wait to see if they bring the sd card back next year. Then we'll know.

And I bet atleast half of Note users use the sd slot. 32GB after OS and apps doesn't last long!

Soldato
Guys, face it. The SD card is gone and it's not coming back. Google have made it clear with their continued sidelining of SD support that it's not wanted. As I've said before, I bet 99% of Note customers don't even use the SD card.
If it was such a dealbreaker for so many people, do you really think that Samsung with all their market researchers would remove it?

Actually Android M is meant to improve support for SD cards, allowing apps to be installed on SD cards. I assume it's there for low-end devices (I'm thinking emerging markets rather than £100 budget smartphones) and I doubt we'll see them on the 2015 Nexus devices, as Google will want to continue to push Google Drive, but apparently that is one of the improvements of Android M.

Soldato
lol I have to disagree that 99% of note users wont use the SD card. You do realise your talking about one of the most expensive phones on the market that is pretty much an Enthusiast product? Its not like the average joe will go and spend £700 on a phone. I'm the only person I know who even has a Note phone. Pretty much everyone I know has a far cheaper phone.
If your spending so much money on a phone like the note series with a beautiful OLED screen Your going to want as much space as possible whether its for music movies or games or work things.

Its the biggest single reason for me personally why I wouldn't get a Note 5. I have a 32GB Note 4 with a 64GB SD Card and I only have about 8GB of space left on the SD card and 6GB left on the internal. This is with just standard apps/games Music and Tons of pictures and videos. 4K video especially takes up a ton of room and having that on a phone with only 32GB of storage is crazy.

Caporegime
Gotta love the mobile phone industry.

Spends billions on 4G network...provides pitiful data allowances.

Provides 4K video recording in a device the size of your palm...removes expandable storage from its flagship devices.

I could probably make do without expandable storage to be honest, but I don't like the feeling of recording away in 4K but being worried that I'm about to run out of space, with my only option being to get shafted on the already expensive purchase price of the handset.

Associate
I'm a note 3 coming to the end of my contract with Vodafone in six weeks time.

Was looking forward to note 5, my note 3 has been on nearly non-stop for 2 years and has worked fantastically.

Any of you guys or girls out there can think of a suitable replacement ?

BTW: I'm not a big fan of apple.

Soldato

You're giving samsungs market researchers too much credit in my opinion. It took them 4 and a bit generations of S phones before they started building metal framed android phones, despite losing customers to htc etc. because of that. They insist on glass-backed phones now when apple ditched them. They consistently disappoint customer with their lack of OS support. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I don't think their market researchers really have a handle on the market. Gs7's photo sums that up well. "We listened to you". Yeah....

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a note 3 coming to the end of my contract with Vodafone in six weeks time.

Was looking forward to note 5, my note 3 has been on nearly non-stop for 2 years and has worked fantastically.

Any of you guys or girls out there can think of a suitable replacement ?

BTW: I'm not a big fan of apple.

I'm waiting to see what the LG G4 Pro will be like if/when announced (hopefully september)

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4_pro-7305.php guesstimate @ specs

Soldato
I don't get some of these battery tests :o, no way I could browse for 9-10 hours.

Good work though.

They're generally doing it in quite unrealistic conditions.

Typically they'll run a script that refreshes a set of pages every minute or two. So you end up running from 100% charge to 0% in one go, only cycling a few pages. If you were to leave your phone on your desk, with good network and wifi strength, with the screen on but doing nothing, it would likely last for similar amounts of time.

It's very unrepresentative of real world day to day usage, but allows for a more fair comparison between phones (in that workload, at least).

Associate
Saw a video today from detroitberg unboxing a Note 5 and it had a UK fast charger in the box. Does another country use plugs of that style or are Samsung trolling us by not bringing it here when review samples match our market?

Soldato
I had a note 2, upgraded to a note 3 skipped the 4 was looking forward to an upgrade to the 5, no removable battery = no upgrade for me, most days I switch out the battery.. Unless they some how halved the power consumption of the phone

Soldato
Saw a video today from detroitberg unboxing a Note 5 and it had a UK fast charger in the box. Does another country use plugs of that style or are Samsung trolling us by not bringing it here when review samples match our market?

Singapore uses the same wall sockets.

Associate

I knew that there were a few places that used 3 pin plugs but after searching Google there are more than I realised. All of the places that I've copy/pasted below use a 3 pin plug so I wouldn't get your hopes up :(

United Kingdom, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Botswana, Ghana, Hong Kong, Jordan, Macau, Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Iraq, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Back
Top Bottom