• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Man of Honour
That could very well be the case but I wouldn't be shocked either way.

If a company wants its console to stand out from the crowd then adding a hardware ray tracing unit along side a typical GPU would be a great way to stand out. Going pure ray tracing at this stage is crazy but a hybrid has a number of advantages. A hybrid also saves money and time in game development costs which could attract more devs. The technology is there, a GPU company is pushing it but who knows what path the consoles will take.

Depends on software support - no one is going to implement ray tracing in their game only to have to support traditional paths for other platforms as well. Without an easy way to handle both at software level its not going to happen.

Soldato
^^ Yup.

Flagship Titan Pascal GP200 could well have 12GB / 16GB of HBM. With the normal Flagship GP204 having 6GB / 8GB of HBM.

They are going to be pricey for sure, but performance is going to be mind-blowing.

We're getting Gen 2.0 HBM along with a massive die shrink either 16nm/14nm down from 28nm. Plus a new architecture. These cards are going to be scary !

14/16nm processes are still completely unsuitable for GPU's. Best we can hope for within a year or so is a 20/22nm GPU.

Man of Honour
^^ Most people are referring to (whether they know it or not) 16/14nm finfets (20nm planar) when mentioning 16/14nm.

Soldato
I think my last card is actually going to be the Titan X, It's heresy I know but the rig I have now I think is going to be my last as well, Pumped way too much money into rigs over the years, I could have bought a car, A motorbike and had about 5 holidays :p

But I will be keeping an eye out on these cards and tech in the future :)

Soldato
Depends on software support - no one is going to implement ray tracing in their game only to have to support traditional paths for other platforms as well. Without an easy way to handle both at software level its not going to happen.
That's a good point that I had not thought about. If ray tracing is just for light and shadows the game with ray tracing will be cheaper, faster and easier to develop for. The 2nd platform without ray tracing will need extra work but that work would have to be done even if the first game didn't have ray tracing. Would that still be a problem?

But if ray tracing is done for things other then lights and shadows then extra work will be created to port it over which is something I had not thought about.

Anyway we might not even get ray tracing in the next consoles. I was just trying to say not to be shocked if the next consoles have something other then 5 year old hardware. We might end up with SoC in consoles soon for cost reasons.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think my last card is actually going to be the Titan X, It's heresy I know but the rig I have now I think is going to be my last as well, Pumped way too much money into rigs over the years, I could have bought a car, A motorbike and had about 5 holidays :p

Exactly. Upgrading is costing to much lately. I might just do smaller rigs with less powerful gpus in the future. All this upgrading every 6 months is costing a arm and a leg. Titan X will be my last high end card as well. Can't keep doing this.

Caporegime

LOL Dice, I say this every time and agree totally but then I get lured in by tech talk and the hype trains and before you know it, I am sweating like a paedo in a playground with repeated F5ing on release day :D

Soldato
Consoles launched Q4 2013

Assume 5 year cycle: chips have to be set in stone 2016
Assume 7 year cycle: 2018

It's possible I suppose to have a Pascal or Arctic in there, but they really should try and hang on for 10nm-class stuff. Will they cheap out again?

Soldato
OP
14/16nm processes are still completely unsuitable for GPU's. Best we can hope for within a year or so is a 20/22nm GPU.

20nm/22nm GPU? Man you crazy :p.

Next process for GPU is 14nm/16nm FinFET+ Likely (CLN16FF+) especially for Nvidia. So is BEOL 20nm SOC (CLN20SOC). But it is called 16nm. 16nm FF+ that is most likely.

Lol, I often think this way and then end up buying them all anyway :p

It's not that expensive really compared to some hobbys. Can spend just as much going out drinking at weekends tbh.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Ok so I fully expect NVidia to bring us small Pascal first GPx04, as they have done for the last couple of generations. I reckon this chip will have HBM 2, but the interesting chip will be the one below this the one to replace the 960, will this also have HBM 2 or do you reckon they will go with a GDDR5 part for this tier of card, maybe 256bit or maybe even just use a rebranded 980. It would probably be about right performance wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Pascal only appears as new chips on the top two tiers GPx00 GPx04

The real interesting thing will be what AMD do, they will have to come up with a few HBM designs as they have already rebranded the 200 series to 300 series.

Soldato
OP
Ok so I fully expect NVidia to bring us small Pascal first GPx04, as they have done for the last couple of generations. I reckon this chip will have HBM 2, but the interesting chip will be the one below this the one to replace the 960, will this also have HBM 2 or do you reckon they will go with a GDDR5 part for this tier of card, maybe 256bit or maybe even just use a rebranded 980. It would probably be about right performance wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Pascal only appears as new chips on the top two tiers GPx00 GPx04

The real interesting thing will be what AMD do, they will have to come up with a few HBM designs as they have already rebranded the 200 series to 300 series.

Yeah man, the new X60 card could be a lil beast. I've been using the GTX 960 while waiting for my RMA and GTX 980 Ti to arrive. Tbh it's a great lil card. If the new X60 comes with HBM 2.0, new architecture and die shrink it could be a real beast. Just depends whether Nvidia actually give their whole range HBM 2.0 or some lower down cards stick with GDDR5. But the new architecture and die shrink alone will bring something to the table. AMD have already commented on the next line up featuring HBM from top to bottom. So should be a whole new lineup next time around.

Last edited:
Associate
LOL Dice, I say this every time and agree totally but then I get lured in by tech talk and the hype trains and before you know it, I am sweating like a paedo in a playground with repeated F5ing on release day :D

What you need to do Gregster is every time you see a new graphic card and you start to break out into a sweat tell the Mrs to give you a slap. :D:D:D

Soldato

Well starting next year for a few years it's going to get really busy for me so I need all the funds I can get and my job is starting to get very serious so play time is over for me as of March next year.

The only thing I'll be using a computer for will be emails and spreadsheets :)

Soldato
Consoles launched Q4 2013

Assume 5 year cycle: chips have to be set in stone 2016
Assume 7 year cycle: 2018

It's possible I suppose to have a Pascal or Arctic in there, but they really should try and hang on for 10nm-class stuff. Will they cheap out again?

I imagine consoles won't be re-done until there's a wider adoption for 4K TVs & with that a bit higher prices for consoles, like 500, but capable of doing 4K modestly. So, realistically, around 2017 probably but 2018 wouldn't be a stretch either.

Back
Top Bottom