• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Some times the gains aren't worth the cost. That all comes down to how much you value your money.
I always read reviews with the stance that they have to prove / convince me its worth the hassle to change my rig drain the loop and sell what's surplus.
Gives me a balance in the face of extreme temptation.

Soldato
Soldato
What will happen is that hopefully there will be more emphasis on software-side improvements rather than devs relying purely on hardware advancements. Though I'm not holding my breath.

tbh

tbh

Associate
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...0nm-elements-on-track-for-production-in-2018/

No more nodes left. :(

Only fake ones from here on out. Which means doom & gloom for enthusiast chips. What on Earth will happen?
I'm excited by the imminent death of silicon, it may yield the most exciting time since the advent of the integrated circuit; gallium arsenide, silicene, graphene, optical computing... who knows what the graphics cards of the near future will be made of? All I know is that it will beat another four years of 28nm respins ;)

tbh

tbh

Associate
If they had just spent the money on graphene/whatever we wouldn't have to endure this.
Businesses tend to be conservative by nature, especially when they have billions of dollars invested in the existing infrastructure.

The nuclear industry should have invested more money into thorium, but they have billions invested in the existing uranium infrastructure.

The automotive industry should have invested more money into electric motors, but they have billions invested in the existing petroleum infrastructure.

The semi-conductor industry should have invested more money into silicon alternatives, but they have billions invested in the existing silicon infrastructure.

Caporegime
Hopefully,then they can actually play games instead of all the E-PEEN wars??

Amen.

Graphics are beginning to get damn lifelike now anyhow, and I'm sure DX12 will be giving a further boost :)

We'll just be 3-4 years on a node at a time tbh, until the next breakthrough is achieved. 28nm length was just a warming up exercise ;) :cool:

Soldato
Personally my new minimum is 90fps... although maybe I shouldn't be setting my standards (and graphics options) so high in light of the recent news.

Caporegime
http://wccftech.com/nvidias-gp100-pascal-flagship-pack-4096-bit-memory-bus-8hi-hbm-stacks/

Flagship GP100 will have 4096 bit memory bus and 8 Hi HBM2 stacks. The Titan X successor will have 8 Hi HBM2 stacks with 32GB memory while GTX 980 Ti successor likely GTX 1080 Ti will have 4 Hi HBM2 stacks with 16GB memory.

Sounds Good. Nvidia hinted at such a few months back.

The Compute part will definitely be aiming for 32GB I would think. The Gaming parts may settle for 16Gb and 8Gb for the 980Ti, but the 16/32GB may well be correct.

People don't seem to realize but with DX12 there is an even greater need for more VRAm to enable the more advanced graphics capabilities that are possible. Similar, 4K screens demand higher resolution texture and normal mapping.

Soldato
OP
Agreed on 16GB Titan / 8GB GTX X80 / X80 Ti being most likely.

More excited about these new parts, should be a nice bump over current stuff. Better than these drip fed increments for sure. Die Shrink, HBM 2.0 and new architecture all at the same time.

bru

bru

Soldato
I wonder if AMD's priority is for 8hi, 4hi, 2hi, or just all HBM.

If the next AMD top end GPU comes with 16GB HBM you can kiss any memory optimizations for the currant 4GB Fury right out the window.

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Pascal GPU has 17 billion transistors

Exclusive: Pascal has a Killer performance

Pascal technology will have as many as 17 billion transistors under the bonnet, Fuzilla can exclusively reveal.

Pascal is the successor to the Maxwell Titan X GM200 and we have been tipped off by some reliable sources that it will have more than a double the number of transisters. The huge increase comes from Pascal's 16 nm FinFET process and its transistor size is close to two times smaller.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38304-nvidia-pascal-gpu-has-17-billion-transistors

WAZu44s.jpg

Last edited:

tbh

tbh

Associate
Nvidia Pascal GPU has 17 billion transistors
I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 980 Ti last month, but didn't because I couldn't justify to myself spending that sort of money on another 28nm GPU; reading that article makes me feel a whole lot better about that decision, Pascal is going to be a beast!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom