• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Personally my new minimum is 90fps... although maybe I shouldn't be setting my standards (and graphics options) so high in light of the recent news.

Am I the only one here that notices everyone bubbling at the mouth for Freesync and GSync while I am perfectly happy to play ultra settings in UQHD with 4xAA with a constant 60fps? :o

I will definitely upgrade my 980 (non Ti) to a Pascal GPU. At the moment any high end game like GTA V I can run most settings ultra and very high, but shadows on merely "Very High" and FSAA and advanced shadows off. I want everything on at 3440x1440 from a single GPU.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 980 Ti last month, but didn't because I couldn't justify to myself spending that sort of money on another 28nm GPU; reading that article makes me feel a whole lot better about that decision, Pascal is going to be a beast!

Trying to hold out myself - really don't want to spend any more money on 28nm and fortunately have a fairly decently performing 780 to hopefully tide me over.

bru

bru

Soldato
On reflection, and looking back at previous node sizes.

90nm 681 million transistors
65nm 1400 million
55nm 1400 million
40nm 3000 million
28nm 7080 million
28nm 8000 million

16nm 17000 million ???

So just over double isn't actually that unusual.

It will still be a beast though I'm sure.

Soldato
OP
After the quality of Nvidia's Titan, GTX 780 Ti, Titan Black, Titan X and GTX 980 Ti. I will without doubt be going for Nvidia's next flagship. I would rather have the Ti version but no doubt the full fat Titan Version will come first and I will be powerless to resist :o

Soldato
OP
Pacal mk1 or Pascal mk2 or Pascal mk3 is the question :D I did 3 rounds of 28nm, so might as well do 3 rounds of 14nm :D I actually did 5 rounds with the 290X and the Fury X :p

Haha, I'll happily do multiple 14nm cards, will be a massive relief to finally be off of 28nm !

AMD will also have FinFet die shrink, new architecture and HBM 2.0.

All bets are off on the performance of these next lot of cards. Should be good stuff.

Most looking forward to full fat GP200 chip or Ti version. If AMD bring something decent out I'll try that as well lol.

Associate
Assuming the article is trustworthy...

Does the number of transistors give a decent indication of the performance to come? At least comparing between generations from the same manufacturer.

After all, the Xbox One has 5 billion transistors... a beast, right? ;)

Soldato
One wonders how they will get the yields up enough to even make GP100.

Could be talking 2017 and mid-range GP104 only in 2016, tiny dice with very restrictive design rules, could be just another 5% bump like the 980.

Last edited:
Associate
Dunno if anyone posted this link yet... Its just a report of what Fudzilla said anyway which was already linked. I thought the interesting bit was when they said Volta may appear only one year after Pascal.

Sometime next year I wonder if we'll be seeing anyone with some 8-way behemoth build using NV Link and we'll be complaining that panel tech isn't fast enough to keep up with the gpu tech. Sounds like it'll be great for Folding & BONIC though.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-17-billion-transistors-32-gb-hbm2-vram-arrives-in-2016/

Last edited:
Soldato
Volta is part of the Oak Ridge Summit supercomputer project slated for 2018. It requires a 10nm-class node to be built. The yields will probably not be high enough in 2017 if the node is even ready.

NVLink will not be used for gaming rigs.

Associate
Trying to hold out myself - really don't want to spend any more money on 28nm and fortunately have a fairly decently performing 780 to hopefully tide me over.

I do hold my self with GTX 570, sure you can do with 780.
I upgrade rarely, Realtek to S3 then nvidia TNT , 9800 PRO , 7900GT , 4850 and finally GTX 570 . I tried many vga in the meanwhile but open up my wallet if need it.

Last edited:
Soldato
At what point will GFX cards bottle neck current CPU's????

It seems that in order to take advantage of these yet to be released die shrinks, CPU architecture will have to match? I don't see how you could SLI the new cards on anything but the latest and greatest from INTEL and hopefully AMD.

Or am I over thinking this???

Soldato
By the sound of all this an Nvidia card may be my next gpu, my first. So long as it is substantially faster than 7970 xf I'll go for it. Would be more than enough for 1440p I think.

Associate
The 970 performs roughly the same as a 780TI so I'd expect the semi high range Pascal to be on par with a 980 TI & cost sub £300

Yup, I'm expecting this. Though hopefully by Pascals release I'll be able to afford the Ti level card. The 1080ti should be double the performance of the 1070 if this gen is any indication. 980ti is double 970 performance so the 1080ti should be quadruple. Considering my OCed 970 gets me 1080p@solid 60 on Metro Last Light maxed, pascal performance would probably get us normal performance at 4k, while being overkill for 1080p.

I look forward to upgrading next year. Or whenever the Pascal equivalent of the 980ti releases. For now, I'll have another go at OCing my 4790k for get a few more fps in my games. Or a lot more according to some benchmarks in the 4790k owners thread. I'll have MGS5 to keep me occupied all the while. I'm so sad there's no Collectors edition for the PC.

Back
Top Bottom