• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
The comma before hand suggests he's referring to you both, made evident at the end of the same paragraph.

Well I am far from an expert in grammar but if I was to say.

"It is the same thing with you, Ayahuasca". That means I am referring to you but if I said "it is the same thing with you and Ayahuasca". That would be pertaining to two people.

I just assumed he thought it was me and used proper grammar.

Anyways, not fussed and don't care :p

I am personally looking forward to Pascal in April, May, June, July, Q4, 2017 :D

Associate
Next year could be interesting, there is the possibility we won't see a big Polaris at all. Early 2017 is encroaching into 10nm full production territory where a medium Polaris + 1 on 10nm makes more sense than a big Polaris on 16mn. TSMC seemingly being 3-6 months behind I can see a lot of ways it plays out. Maybe Nvidia actually launch big Pascal first as AMD wait an extra 3-6 months to do a medium 10nm chip instead. Maybe Nvidia scraps plans for big Pascal and waits a few months more than AMD and goes the same route, skipping big 16nm chips. We're in a very strange period. 28nm stuck around for so long as everyone had trouble(Intel also) with double patterning.

Not directed at you DM, but thoughts leading on from your post. I hope AMD considers what that might do to them competitively in the consumer GPU space. They are a consumer interacting company, not an arms length, distant chip manufacturer producing white label products. Whatever they do, I hope they have well justified reasons and considered scenarios, taking into account the end customer that they need to convince to buy the final product. Not just a mainly financial decision making process or pandering to an engineering/technical aesthetic as I tend to sense. Splitting the GPU division off into RTG should really help in this respect and help them make wiser strategic decisions.

Consumers aren't patient, always logical or long-term planners. The longer they permit their competitors product to appear unchallenged perf or feature wise (or response appear distant) the greater the share of the market they are handing over and cementing in their competitors favour. One-offs are fine and can be rebounded by coming back with an equal or superior appearing product. However repetitive and sustained ground giving is not. Its small but this gradual erosion has been happening for some time. Waiting for 10nm mainly because it manufacturing/financially makes good sense does not necessarily make it the best choice. I do think Nvidia have more than enough inertia to do it however.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Where did I say that or anything like it?

It's the same stuff all the time with you, Gregster. There is a rumour, the origins of THAT rumour can be dissected, you can sometimes see or discuss if a rumour is true.... this has NOTHING to do with anything else. Saying that a specific rumour about an April release is false has no connection to if said product releases in April, none at all. These are two entirely unconnected things, something you and Gregster seem to have trouble understanding.

For instance, I'm going to claim, because a magic duck told me, that GP100 is launching in April. Now, if Pascal launches in April... does that make my made up rumour correct? No it doesn't.

Disproving a rumour is just that, disproving that rumour, it proves nothing else. I've never claimed it does and in fact it's you/Gregster who keep coming up with these "so what you're saying is...." inferences which I haven't made.

I don't believe GP 100 has a shot in hell of coming out in April, it might, that rumour based off a shipping manifest that absolutely did not say what these idiot websites claimed it said will be incorrect regardless of when Pascal comes out.

Ignoring completely and utterly ignorant made up rumours, there really is absolutely nothing to indicate GP100 is coming out this year, nor big Polaris.

There is everything to indicate small/medium Polaris will launch before or by June. The general impression I get is Nvidia will talk about Pascal, maybe the architecture as opposed to a specific card much like AMD did at CES at some point before AMD launches medium Polaris, that could be GTC. In May/June timeframe I think they'll show some medium Pascal cards and talk about it, maybe paper launch it, with availability to come maybe August/Sept.

Titan X is 7tf, Drive PX2 is claimed to be 8TF. I'd expect big Pascal to be around the 13-15tf range, GP104 to be about the 7-8tf range and so if the PX2 has 8TF total(from two discrete gpus and two tegra socs with a gpu in each) then each discrete gpu will be pulling around 3.5-4TF. So I'd expect GP106 to be the gpu used in it.

Ok fair enough, let me ask you this then.

Do you think they will show a Pascal card and say it will be available within 1-8 weeks.

This is a simple question, it does not require a massive answer, nor does it require a pop at Gregster or even me, it is just a simple question.

This question also has nothing to do with rumours, real fake or imagined, it is just me asking you a question.

Mobster
Soldato

Do you think they will show a Pascal card and say it will be available within 1-8 weeks.

This is a simple question, it does not require a massive answer, nor does it require a pop at Gregster or even me, it is just a simple question.

This question also has nothing to do with rumours, real fake or imagined, it is just me asking you a question.

lol

Soldato

His post that you quoted already gives his opinion/answer to that question.

"In May/June timeframe I think they'll show some medium Pascal cards and talk about it, maybe paper launch it, with availability to come maybe August/Sept"

In short his quote indicates he would think that scenario unlikely

Caporegime
I don't care much for reading through huge walls of text to get to the point either but DM isn't saying he knows when the cards are coming.

Weren't you telling people Pascal was coming soon after you sold your Titan X Simon?

Associate
Some of us are not comfortable with pulling definite statements and conclusions out of sunless valley.

Without working for the company and being privy to such info, you have to consider and assess a wide array evidence to come to an educated conclusion or probable scenarios. You can begin to form an idea of what is and isn't likely. The background to why and the analysis is important and the info generally interesting.

Although these things could always do with being a little more succinct, if possible. If you cannot handle it just don't read it but please don't moan about it, that itself is tiresome, unproductive and uninformative.

Caporegime
Not directed at you DM, but thoughts leading on from your post. I hope AMD considers what that might do to them competitively in the consumer GPU space. They are a consumer interacting company, not an arms length, distant chip manufacturer producing white label products. Whatever they do, I hope they have well justified reasons and considered scenarios, taking into account the end customer that they need to convince to buy the final product. Not just a mainly financial decision making process or pandering to an engineering/technical aesthetic as I tend to sense. Splitting the GPU division off into RTG should really help in this respect and help them make wiser strategic decisions.

Consumers aren't patient, always logical or long-term planners. The longer they permit their competitors product to appear unchallenged perf or feature wise (or response appear distant) the greater the share of the market they are handing over and cementing in their competitors favour. One-offs are fine and can be rebounded by coming back with an equal or superior appearing product. However repetitive and sustained ground giving is not. Its small but this gradual erosion has been happening for some time. Waiting for 10nm mainly because it manufacturing/financially makes good sense does not necessarily make it the best choice. I do think Nvidia have more than enough inertia to do it however.

I don't see any reason AMD would purposely delay a launch 6months later from a known node process to an unknown, watching their tiny market share dwindle even further just to release a chip on a smaller process with the same performance but bigger margins, after spending a huge amount of Money getting the chips designed and working on 16nm.

Soldato
That moment when Pascal comes out and it is a 3D positional Hardware accelerated Sound card.

One day in a meeting in huangs office:

Huang: okay everyone, i want pascal to be a 'sound card', i don't want any **** up with this launch on a new architecture and node.
Engineer: are you sure sir?
Huang: Positive.

Thus Nvidia became the new Creative. Only with better drivers.

Soldato
I don't care much for reading through huge walls of text to get to the point either but DM isn't saying he knows when the cards are coming.

Weren't you telling people Pascal was coming soon after you sold your Titan X Simon?

Nope. I said I sold my Titan X now (at that time) to get the maximum £ amount before pascal comes in. Just waiting it out like everyone else.

Man of Honour
That moment when Pascal comes out and it is a 3D positional Hardware accelerated Sound card.

One day in a meeting in huangs office:

Huang: okay everyone, i want pascal to be a 'sound card', i don't want any **** up with this launch on a new architecture and node.
Engineer: are you sure sir?
Huang: Positive.

Thus Nvidia became the new Creative. Only with better drivers.

Would be nice if AMD and nVidia collaborated on gaming audio - its become a joke the last few years - just as it was poised to make real advances between them MS and Creative managed to chop its legs off.

Soldato
Would be nice if AMD and nVidia collaborated on gaming audio - its become a joke the last few years - just as it was poised to make real advances between them MS and Creative managed to chop its legs off.

Creative were the ones who ****ed 3D audio to begin with. If Aureal had managed to get their evidence together sooner then creative wouldn't have bankrupt them through litigation.

Then Creative just mothballed the whole 3D audio tech they bought off aureal. could have had some fantastic game sound still instead of the bland stuff we have now.

Would be good if AMD or some other company can get Trueaudio to imitate what Aureal 3D did.

Soldato
I literally provided proof of where these rumours came from and you're saying I'm wrong.
Yes I said you are wrong because that source wasn't the single only location the rumors came from. Rumours come from many different places and are caused by many different things. Just because part of the rumour came from 1 source doesn't mean all the rumours did.

“However the Drive PX2 announcement specifically stated sampling, not release, they stated production or shipping(forget which already) in Q4, not Q2.”
They said availability in Q2 to early access customer and availability Q4 for the rest. Not sampling, but availability.

Caporegime
Nope. I said I sold my Titan X now (at that time) to get the maximum £ amount before pascal comes in. Just waiting it out like everyone else.

You sure? Post beginning of December.

So close to pascal. Why even bother Asus??

Posted around the same time just after selling.

Come this spring Titan X will be near worthless if your trying to sell them that is.

It's nearly Spring and Titan X's still going for around the same price you sold yours on the bay.

Seems to me you were trying to suggest Pascal was coming Spring.

Soldato

Here is a good example of some guys doing it in software. But i remember aureal being able to do it with 60+ sound sources in hardware.

Back
Top Bottom