• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
I wasn't aware that NVidia had made anything clear, all we ever get from both sides is they will be ready in (insert very vague timeframe here). I mean AMD said before the back to school period, which means sometime before September, there 7 more months till September and Polaris could arrive in any one of them.
All I know of NVidia is they said 2016. exactly when who knows. If at the end of GTC they haven't said here is a new Pascal card and it will be available in x weeks, then we can safely say they didn't release a new card at GTC.

Nvidia were very specific about Pascal based Drive PX2 with limited quantities in April and Volume production in Q4. Even in April I'm not sure we will hear to much fussy as he automotive are under NDA.

For compute orientated Tesla production and geforce gaming GPUs there has been no official word except 2016 as you point out.

Associate
.........could literally be seen/proven wasn't what the sites were saying it was... people got called names for saying those rumour were untrue. But christian today... the mecca of all things tech news.... says they aren't coming in April and it's all "yeah, makes se.............

Well phrased :D

Soldato
I wasn't aware that NVidia had made anything clear, all we ever get from both sides is they will be ready in (insert very vague timeframe here). I mean AMD said before the back to school period, which means sometime before September, there 7 more months till September and Polaris could arrive in any one of them.
All I know of NVidia is they said 2016. exactly when who knows. If at the end of GTC they haven't said here is a new Pascal card and it will be available in x weeks, then we can safely say they didn't release a new card at GTC.

They said GTC and in a blog that the first Pascal product will be the automotive one shipping in Q2 to early access customers and Q4 for everyone else which is where the April date being thrown around came from.

Associate
Well phrased :D

It's true though, isn't it. You see something on a website and you automatically apply a level of authenticity to it whether it's earned or not. But when you see something on a forum, even if it makes more sense, you think it can't be accurate.

I'm guilty of this. I must change that!

Soldato
They said GTC and in a blog that the first Pascal product will be the automotive one shipping in Q2 to early access customers and Q4 for everyone else which is where the April date being thrown around came from.

You really think Nvidia will release a GPU Q4 when AMD has said there release before kids go back to school after summer or it could be any time before this? So Q4 release is not going to happen. Nvidia won't let it! They'll release when they feel time is right? Not one person here knows when this will be?

Caporegime
You really think Nvidia will release a GPU Q4 when AMD has said there release before kids go back to school after summer or it could be any time before this? So Q4 release is not going to happen. Nvidia won't let it! They'll release when they feel time is right? Not one person here knows when this will be?

AMD had 28nm out 3 months prior to NVidia, so it isn't uncommon really and the more I read, early Polaris and Pascal will be small chips and the bigger one's will follow.

Caporegime

Again, it's not, just because you hear two things that mention April doesn't mean they are connected.

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39834-nvidia-pascal-rumoured-for-april

These rumors about the GPUs with the Pascal architecture are currently based on shipping manifests that have spotted on the Zauba database in India which deals with products that are imported or exported from the country.

The rumours about April are about a consumer release of GP100 based off entirely different information. This is what ALL the April rumours are about.

The automotive stuff isn't 1st access/2nd access customers, it's samples before mass production which happens everywhere and is how people prepare for future products. Lots of people have samples of Polaris now, that doesn't mean it's released in any way shape or form.

Nvidia at was it CES said they were going to ship samples to partners in Q2... that is completely unrelated to rumours of a GP100 consumer release in April based on a shipping manifest. What made those rumours awful is the shipping manifest quite literally didn't say what these sites were implying it did.

The information was false, the rumour was false and it had exactly nothing to do with samples of DrivePX2 sampling in Q2.

Lets also not forget that he was holding up Maxwell's on a 'Drive PX2', calling it Pascal and saying samples would ship in Q2.... for all we know a dev kit with Maxwell's is the only thing shipping in Q2.

Soldato
Looking for the GTX980 equivalent which in theory should be faster then Titan X. Not bothered by big pascal.

Value will lie in the 970 equivalent; the (mid range) "flag ship" 980 equivalent will cost 50pc more for 20pc more performance, until the ti version arrives and destroys it utterly.

Man of Honour
Looking for the GTX980 equivalent which in theory should be faster then Titan X. Not bothered by big pascal.

It will probably be marginally faster but the TX will remain the better 2160p card due to the 12gb memory.

I think people need to give a lot of thought to upgrading to mid range Polaris or Pascal as they could be spending a lot of money to gain very little over their existing Fiji and GM200 cards.

Big Pascal and Polaris is where the real upgrade will be.

Soldato
It will probably be marginally faster but the TX will remain the better 2160p card due to the 12gb memory.

I think people need to give a lot of thought to upgrading to mid range Polaris or Pascal as they could be spending a lot of money to gain very little over their existing Fiji and GM200 cards.

+1

Associate
Hmm, does anyone remember time period, where upgrading from flagship model to new arch mid range card was an "upgrade". No, upgrade from 290x/780Ti(?) to 970 wasn't a good deal.

Though I'm mostly talking about after die shrink.

Caporegime

The new cards will have 8GB, there is no game that need more than 4GB at 4k except two games which purposefully use uncompressed textures offering absolutely no IQ improvement at all over the lower setting which in the case of both games runs great on 4GB cards.

You are literally saying 12GB is required because Nvidia persuaded(I wonder how) two devs to provide uncompressed textures to fool people into thinking they needed more memory.

Both of your go to examples, Shadow of Mordor and Xcom 2 can be seen to offers zero visual benefit between the uncompressed and compressed textures. No other game I can think of in the past 20 years uses uncompressed textures because it's utterly pointless to do so.

If a game gave you the option of running lets say two lighting methods giving identical visual output but one reduced fps by 50fps and the other by 10fps, would you choose the purposefully less efficient method and have worse performance for absolutely no reason at all?

People shouldn't upgrade from TitanX/Fury to cards very close in performance, but the massive majority of gamers don't own Titan X's or Furys, or 980ti's, or even 980/290x. For the millions of other gamers who want to buy new cards, the midsized Polaris/Pascal will be significantly better buys than FuryX/TitanX cards.

Man of Honour
The new cards will have 8GB, there is no game that need more than 4GB at 4k except two games which purposefully use uncompressed textures offering absolutely no IQ improvement at all over the lower setting which in the case of both games runs great on 4GB cards.

You are literally saying 12GB is required because Nvidia persuaded(I wonder how) two devs to provide uncompressed textures to fool people into thinking they needed more memory.

Both of your go to examples, Shadow of Mordor and Xcom 2 can be seen to offers zero visual benefit between the uncompressed and compressed textures. No other game I can think of in the past 20 years uses uncompressed textures because it's utterly pointless to do so.

If a game gave you the option of running lets say two lighting methods giving identical visual output but one reduced fps by 50fps and the other by 10fps, would you choose the purposefully less efficient method and have worse performance for absolutely no reason at all?

It does not matter what the reasons are as to why these games exist (and there will be more to come) but the fact is they do exist and they are not going to go away.

People shouldn't upgrade from TitanX/Fury to cards very close in performance, but the massive majority of gamers don't own Titan X's or Furys, or 980ti's, or even 980/290x. For the millions of other gamers who want to buy new cards, the midsized Polaris/Pascal will be significantly better buys than FuryX/TitanX cards.

This I fully agree with.

Soldato
“The automotive stuff isn't 1st access/2nd access customers, it's samples before mass production which happens everywhere and is how people prepare for future products. Lots of people have samples of Polaris now, that doesn't mean it's released in any way shape or form.”
Automotive is very much 1st access/2nd Access customers as that’s how the market works.

“Again, it's not, just because you hear two things that mention April doesn't mean they are connected.

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39...ured-for-april
The rumours about April are about a consumer release of GP100 based off entirely different information. This is what ALL the April rumours are about.”
Well you are wrong again. Some of the rumours did come about from the April Q2 news. It’s not hard to see how it happened. NVidia talk about Pascal in Q2, some people assume that mean start of Q2 so talk about Pascal arriving in April. Other see that talk about Pascal April and think that’s a reference to desktop Pascal and so the rumour news site start posting about Pascal in April. Not that all rumours followed that but some would have.

Associate
I don't follow the tech news for a while but from the info it look like we will need a new type of Motherboard for Nvidia NV-Link ? as NV-Link will be up to 5 to 12 times faster than traditional PCIE 3.0

Back
Top Bottom