• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup it is HDDVD vs Bluray all over again. The sooner the two variable refresh rate techs get together the better it will be for all of us. It might take a couple of years, or we can hope for if or when Intel do take up freesync it might force NVidia's hand.

Associate
Yer lol

I still feel we won't see Big Pascal for some time and the same for Polaris but what interests me more about Pascal is Async and will NVidia be handling it at hardware level this time? I can see this being of great importance on my purchasing decision.

Lets hope they will have hardware async support, otherwise they will hold back DX12 much longer

Soldato
Lets hope they will have hardware async support, otherwise they will hold back DX12 much longer

Considering how long ago the designs would have been locked down, it could be a possibility that they will not support Concurrent computation in the way GCN does. Unless they had a last minute redesign to the logic controller which would have pushed back launch.

Associate
Yer lol

I still feel we won't see Big Pascal for some time and the same for Polaris but what interests me more about Pascal is Async and will NVidia be handling it at hardware level this time? I can see this being of great importance on my purchasing decision.

Absolutely agree with this, however I was under the impression that Nvidia had already taped out Pascal before all the Async stuff had surfaced. I also completely agree with what a few others are saying about their VRR technologies.
Once you go down that route you don't want to give it up. Obviously I went the Freesync route but I certainly don't want to have to buy another monitor for VRR so will likely stick with AMD/RTG at least for the next card or two depending on what happens.
:)

Associate

Does anyone here think that DX12 has been held back a bit by Nvidia because of this Async issue?

I was under the impression that ROTTR was to be DX12 or at least use Async compute at some point. I believe this was the title that used Async on the consoles but miraculously didn't on PC.

Man of Honour
Does anyone here think that DX12 has been held back a bit by Nvidia because of this Async issue?

I was under the impression that ROTTR was to be DX12 or at least use Async compute at some point. I believe this was the title that used Async on the consoles but miraculously didn't on PC.

Probably more by the Windows 10 requirement and the extra logistics of developing and maintaining a DX12 and DX11 version where the DX12 version was actually worth spending the time on rather than just the DX11 version slapped through the DX12 pipeline with maybe 1-2 token features.

Associate
Yep, nVidia are paying devs again to hold us back.

Dons tin foil hat.

If i were nvidia, i'd hold the DX12 version as long as i could in the supported ganes, until my new cards arrive which support async compute and can fight amd on level field.
No need fir conspiracy here, thats how the market works. If i support a game i want it to show the strong side if my hardware.

We will see if the GW games developers suddenly find the key to DX12 implementaion or not after Pascal arrives.
I think they will...and NV will advertise async suddenly as their next great thing.

Associate
Well 2 of the few DX12 games we currently know of will be using Async and that is AoTS and Hitman, so I don't see how NVidia are holding back DX12.

Now lets hear a TWIMTBP title with DX12 support.

ROTTR DX12 dropped, Ark DX12 dropped, Project Cars DX12 dropped
All of them claimed to support DX12, and even claimed they see huge improvements on DX12...then suddenly DX12 disappeared from ROTTR, delayed indefinitely on Ark and Project Cars.

OFC there's no hard evidence. I just think they do it, and i can totally see why they should do it.
To be clear, i'm not bashing them if they do, i'd do the same. If its in my power to make my wares look better i'd do it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now lets hear a TWIMTBP title with DX12 support.

ROTTR DX12 dropped, Ark DX12 dropped, Project Cars DX12 dropped
All of them claimed to support DX12, and even claimed they see huge improvements on DX12...then suddenly DX12 disappeared from ROTTR, delayed indefinitely on Ark and Project Cars.

OFC there's no hard evidence. I just think they do it, and i can totally see why they should do it.
To be clear, i'm not bashing them if they do, i'd do the same. If its in my power to make my wares look better i'd do it.

Well NVidia are bigging up DX12 more than AMD, so I doubt they are pushing DX12 back and they have hardware capabilities that AMD don't have, so knowing what is what, they could well push ROVs and Conservative rasterization to get at AMD if they wanted to play dirty. I think sometimes people just see what they want and don't look at the big picture.

bru

bru

Soldato
If i were nvidia, i'd hold the DX12 version as long as i could in the supported ganes, until my new cards arrive which support async compute and can fight amd on level field.
No need fir conspiracy here, thats how the market works. If i support a game i want it to show the strong side if my hardware.

We will see if the GW games developers suddenly find the key to DX12 implementaion or not after Pascal arrives.
I think they will...and NV will advertise async suddenly as their next great thing.

You say 'no need for conspiracy here' and yet your entire post is proposing one big conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Well NVidia are bigging up DX12 more than AMD, so I doubt they are pushing DX12 back and they have hardware capabilities that AMD don't have, so knowing what is what, they could well push ROVs and Conservative rasterization to get at AMD if they wanted to play dirty. I think sometimes people just see what they want and don't look at the big picture.

Polaris will be getting ROV's and Conservative rasterisation in hardware anyway. And a lot of people on older hardware will no doubt upgrade to mid polaris when it drops. So that token ends up out the window as well considering that ROV's can be done using Async to speed them up as well as conservative rasterisation.

There has been code to do both on GPU's for years, the only difference now is gaining dedicated hardware for it. There is even code on Nvidia's website from 1995 - 2001 about conservative rasterisation.

Caporegime
Polaris will be getting ROV's and Conservative rasterisation in hardware anyway. And a lot of people on older hardware will no doubt upgrade to mid polaris when it drops. So that token ends up out the window as well considering that ROV's can be done using Async to speed them up as well as conservative rasterisation.

There has been code to do both on GPU's for years, the only difference now is gaining dedicated hardware for it. There is even code on Nvidia's website from 1995 - 2001 about conservative rasterisation.

No idea what Polaris or Pascal will be having but interested to read what info you have about Polaris and ROVS and CR. I always like to keep updated.

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup AMD might have pulled a blinder here, the mid range guys will upgrade for the DX12 features and the top end guys will upgrade for more than 4GB of ram. It might work, unless these people upgrade to NVidia of course. ;)

Back
Top Bottom