• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Man of Honour
Sadly history has proven that unless AMD have something up their sleeve Nvidia will do their trick of launching the mid range (2/3 die size) part first as the flagship. (680/980)

Even if AMD do have something up their sleeve (Big Polaris available very soon) we won't see it as it would be marketing suicide.

Launching big Polaris in the very near future would cost AMD a lot of profit as it would be on the back of poor yields on a new process and there would also be supply problems. Worse still NVidia would just counter by putting Big Pascal on the market ASAP which would in turn cost NV a lot of money for the same reason above.

Far better to launch the mid range stuff first and milk their customers in the same way as NVidia will do. This will give both companies the chance to make maximum profits.

Soldato
It's all crystal ball gazing, but you don't think a mid tier card being 10% quicker than one of the fastest cards available for half the price of said card, would be much of an upgrade?

I dont think spending £500 two years after spending £300 on a 970 for another 20-30% performance is much of an upgrade, no. I misread bru's posts, didnt realise he said 980ti. I cant see than happening for £300 but it would be nice.

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i really dont see that happening soon, maybe towards the end of the year?
i see it more sold like
VR READY
HDR READY
AWESOME POWER SAVING
but similar price to performance

Mobster
Soldato
When Pascal arrives you will have several choices over time.

Medium Pascal is likely to turn up first and if you want one you won't get much change out of £500 for about 20% better performance than a 980 Ti.

Big Pascal is likely going to turn up later and will cost you a little over £500 for 80% or 90% increase over a 980 Ti.

If I had around £500 to spend on a Pascal GPU in the next year I know which option I would go for.

Anyone buying a mid range Pascal or Polaris is going to feel very sore when the big variants turn up. It will be like comparing a GTX 970 to a TitanX.

Thats been happening for a long time

980>titan>980ti
780>black>780ti

No-ones going to feel sore, apart from your wallet of course when you feel the need to buy 4 cards.

Associate
Thats been happening for a long time

980>titan>980ti
780>black>780ti

No-ones going to feel sore, apart from your wallet of course when you feel the need to buy 4 cards.

I thought the black came out after the 780ti. Did you mean the original titan? Or did you mean that the 780ti is more powerful than a black? If you think the 780ti is more powerful than the black, you're wrong.

Soldato
Neither company has the yields to go big anytime soon.

Global Floundries (sic) don't even have a suitable process for a big die. My guess is you will see that on some tweaked process variant in 2017, allowing NV plenty of time to milk small Pascal and wait on profitable yields for GP100.

Soldato
The big money will be in medium pascal. High end enthusiast cards don't sell as well any more. It's a very small niche market. While I would like a pascal titan card I think I'll go for middle pascal this time. I'm not going 4k any time soon. My 1440p G-Sync will see my through for a few years yet.

Soldato
The big money will be in medium pascal. High end enthusiast cards don't sell as well any more. It's a very small niche market. While I would like a pascal titan card I think I'll go for middle pascal this time. I'm not going 4k any time soon. My 1440p G-Sync will see my through for a few years yet.

I want to share the same sentiment, but even gaming at 1440p is becoming more demanding if you want to have the eye candy all on.

Very few currently released high profile games can be played at 1440p 60fps when fully maxed, even without adding silly amounts of AA.

Especially now with high refreshrate monitors, I don't how I can go to a mid range card(s) anymore. Even my SLI 980Ti's at 1440p can dip below 60fps in games like Tomb Raider and it's a jarring experience when there are sudden heavy drops in FPS.

Caporegime
I dont think spending £500 two years after spending £300 on a 970 for another 20-30% performance is much of an upgrade, no. I misread bru's posts, didnt realise he said 980ti. I cant see than happening for £300 but it would be nice.

nVidia aren't going to give you 980ti performance for £300. Not until hell freezes over :p

I think it'll be a shade under £400, probably for the 1070 card. The 1080 (non ti) will probably be the "flagship" card for a while, and cost £500 at least.

Unless AMD really bring their A game it will just be another exercise in milking us for all we're worth.

Soldato

While I agree the bulk of the money is in the middle market. From everything I seen, high end enthusiast card market sell perfectly fine and if anything is growing in size and demand has exceeded expectations. However if you have any link to showing high end cards not selling as well any more, will be interesting to read and allow me to understand the market better.

Man of Honour
While I agree the bulk of the money is in the middle market. From everything I seen, high end enthusiast card market sell perfectly fine and if anything is growing in size and demand has exceeded expectations. However if you have any link to showing high end cards not selling as well any more, will be interesting to read and allow me to understand the market better.

When the TitanX arrived it was flying off the shelves until the GTX 980 Ti turned up.

There is a good market for very high end cards.

Caporegime
nVidia aren't going to give you 980ti performance for £300. Not until hell freezes over :p

Why do people always say things like this, every new generation? Cards get faster, meaning you get the same performance as the top tier of last gen but for much less cash.

Nvidia will absolutely be giving us 980Ti performance at around ~£300 soon.

Back
Top Bottom