• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
When the TitanX arrived it was flying off the shelves until the GTX 980 Ti turned up.

There is a good market for very high end cards.

Yep that was what I believed to be the case. Looking at some articles suggesting demand for the Titan x when released was much greater then anticipated, more so compared with the original Titan which lead me to believe the market while small is growing rather then retracting for the high end market. No doubt the 980Ti only added to this trend but cannot find anything concrete so was curious as to the information by Simon suggesting high end cards do not sell as well any more.

Soldato
No it isn't. It is just what happens. :confused:

I suspect he means the soon part is optimistic but then again it's FoxEye so he is most likely referring to price/perf ratio.

Most reasonably believable info points to Pascal potentially being later than Polaris. Which would mean your soon comment means 6+ months away which is hardly soon. IMHO there is no way Nvidia or AMD would release a GPU at that price/perf ratio unless there was something faster at the £500 price point the current 980Ti/Fury X occupy. They would both completely kill their top end market so I believe Mid Polaris/Pascal will be ~30% faster than FuryX/980Ti and will be ~£500-£550.

If Nvidia are releasing any parts sooner than that I would imagine the new Titan X equivalent with ~£900 price point which would leave all other Nvidia GPUs at existing price points until Q3-Q4.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do people always say things like this, every new generation? Cards get faster, meaning you get the same performance as the top tier of last gen but for much less cash.

Nvidia will absolutely be giving us 980Ti performance at around ~£300 soon.

I agree with this^

Nvidia have said many times that pascal would be a huge leap from maxwell.

Caporegime
I agree with this^

Exactly. The 780Ti was released at around £500-£550. Then less than a year later the 970 was released which pretty much matched it for less than £300...

and that wasn't even with a die shrink!

Man of Honour
Yep that was what I believed to be the case. Looking at some articles suggesting demand for the Titan x when released was much greater then anticipated, more so compared with the original Titan which lead me to believe the market while small is growing rather then retracting for the high end market. No doubt the 980Ti only added to this trend but cannot find anything concrete so was curious as to the information by Simon suggesting high end cards do not sell as well any more.

There are more TitanXs on TROH than there are 290Xs even though the latter was half the price.

Soldato
OP
When the TitanX arrived it was flying off the shelves until the GTX 980 Ti turned up.

There is a good market for very high end cards.

Agreed, it's only because the market for high end GPU's is so strong now that we see things Titan X selling in the first place. The market is there for it.

GPU / CPU market has never been stronger. The old pre built crappy desktop PC is dying, but the component market is booming.

Soldato
I agree with this^

But nvidia :p, They wont release 1 GPU faster than the 980Ti for £300. When they are still selling Ti's well for 5-600. If it is faster than the Ti its likely to be more expensive.

Its more likely they will bring out a whole new range to replace the old ones. 960/970/980/980Ti. But with the same price point for when those cards came out new. One thing they wont be is cheaper :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Exactly. The 780Ti was released at around £500-£550. Then less than a year later the 970 was released which pretty much matched it for less than £300...

and that wasn't even with a die shrink!

That is because there were cards above the 970 in those price points. When the lets presume GTX 1080 comes out it will be the highest card in the range.

Did the GTX 680 launch at £300 despite being around 20% faster than the 580?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/7

no it didn't, same price, 20% faster. The 970 isn't remotely comparable because at no time was it close to the fastest card available, not even the fastest card from Nvidia.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/14.html

at 1080p it was slower than 4 available Nvidia cards(one a duallie) and 2 AMD cards.

When the 680 launched it was the fastest core Nvidia produced, it wasn't a salvaged part, it wasn't much faster than the previous gen, cards available at launch were between £420-480, they weren't close to £300.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Well the people suggesting that NVidia wont release the second tier midrange card (1070) at or around the £300 price point, well you might be right, but history says other wise.

470 $349 £246
480 $499 £351

570 $349 £246
580 $499 £351

670 $400 £282
680 $500 £352

770 $399 £281

970 $349 £246
980 $549 £387

(Edit: these prices are just straight conversions without VAT)

For the last few generations that has been the price point for that tier of card.
The only thing we really cannot be sure about is the performance, but again each *70 series card has been very similar performance to the preceding top tier card. The last time we had a node drop, the 580 to 670, saw the 670 quite a good bit faster than the 580.

Also what kind of business sense does it show, to say here is our new all singing all dancing card, the one we've been banging on about, with slides showing a 10X improvement (in certain areas), yours for only a bizillion dollars oh and it isn't faster than the previous cards.:)

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom