• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
That isn't what we are talking about though. Yes the 1080Ti ( or whatever it will be called) will be a £500-£600 gpu, but we are talking about 980Ti PERFORMANCE, which will no doubt be matched (maybe even beaten) by Nvdias 970 pascal equivalent for ~£300.

Don't get your hopes up, ~£300 is current GTX970 level and it is Nvidia's 3rd tier GPU if we exclude Titan X. It is far more likely we will get 980Ti level performance for ~£400 from Nvidia's Pascal 2nd tier.

~30% faster than 980Ti for ~£500 - £550
980Ti level for ~£400 - £450
980 level performance for ~£300 - £350

Soldato
You must have been late pressing the buy button.:D

I got my original ones for £839.99

I could have got them for £829.99 if I had shopped around a bit and had been prepared to settle for non Asus branded ones.

I remember the prices increasing very quickly on launch day as retailers made a killing.

Bought one day one the EVGA special version with T-Shirt and mouse pad and other bits

Caporegime
Don't get your hopes up, ~£300 is current GTX970 level and it is Nvidia's 3rd tier GPU if we exclude Titan X. It is far more likely we will get 980Ti level performance for ~£400 from Nvidia's Pascal 2nd tier.

~30% faster than 980Ti for ~£500 - £550
980Ti level for ~£400 - £450
980 level performance for ~£300 - £350

That would be a big step backwards considering a 970 meets a 780ti.
It is also already wrong because you can already buy a 980 for £390 form OCUK, £40 more than you were saying.

980TI performance will be in the £300 range or Nvidia have a massive failure on their hands. If they can make the required performance leap while keeping to the same node size they sure as heck can make that same jump with a node shrink.

bru

bru

Soldato
If anyone was to go into the Polaris thread and say that medium Polaris wont match a FuryX for performance and will be £400-450, they would get laughed at.

Caporegime
Same thing happens every year on here and it makes me laugh.

No one thinks faster cards will come and prices of the previous top tier cards will drop for some reason. It is bizarre.

Yet that is almost always what happens.

Nvidia won't release a card that is the equivalent performance of a 980Ti for £450-£500 because that is what we have had now and have had for nearly a year.

It especially won't happen this time around as this is a die shrink and all new architecture so it will be nothing like just a refresh.

I expect a similar thing to happen as it did for the last gen but perhaps with a slightly bigger performance jump than going from the 700 to the 900 series cards (ie The 980 beat the 780Ti and released for just over £400 and the 970 just about matched the 780Ti for around £300).

Last edited:
Soldato
If trade blows means its 5-10fps behind apart from maybe once then yes. I know its only one game but seeing these videos is a great way of proving faster/slower.

Back on topic though, I have a GTX980ti now so when 1080ti / whatever its called comes out i may sell and move on depending on performance increase (will need to be >20%) price of the new cards and going 2nd hand rates of the 980 ti

Caporegime
If trade blows means its 5-10fps behind apart from maybe once then yes. I know its only one game but seeing these videos is a great way of proving faster/slower.

Back on topic though, I have a GTX980ti now so when 1080ti / whatever its called comes out i may sell and move on depending on performance increase (will need to be >20%) price of the new cards and going 2nd hand rates of the 980 ti

You have been given links to averages by Anandtech and Tech Power Up showing how they are very closely matched when looking at a wider spread of games (granted the 780Ti is marginally faster by a few percent).

Mobster
Soldato
That would be a big step backwards considering a 970 meets a 780ti.
It is also already wrong because you can already buy a 980 for £390 form OCUK, £40 more than you were saying.

980TI performance will be in the £300 range or Nvidia have a massive failure on their hands. If they can make the required performance leap while keeping to the same node size they sure as heck can make that same jump with a node shrink.

You gotta remember though DP, that Nvidia may indeed be able to do that, but would they ? They would bring out a 980ti equivalent performer for roughly £300 and in turn killing off every current/future 980ti sale in one clean swoop ? I dont think so myself.

Caporegime
You gotta remember though DP, that Nvidia may indeed be able to do that, but would they ? They would bring out a 980ti equivalent performer for roughly £300 and in turn killing off every current/future 980ti sale in one clean swoop ? I dont think so myself.

Why would they care?

The 980Ti will be end of line/out of production, and sold off at fire sale prices just like every other top end graphics card has been once the new cards come out.

Nvidia don't give a monkeys as they have already sold them all to the board partners :p

Releasing a Pascal card that has exactly the same performance and price as a 980Ti, a year after the 980Ti launched would be utterly stupid from a commercial point of view.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato

Well just think of the 970. This card was just about a match for the fastest thing that NVidia had at the time and it was the second tier of the new 900 series cards at the time. It was around £300 (I paid £281.99 for MSI 970 on the 21st of September, 3 days after launch from here) it has been NVidia best selling card ever, you really think they wouldn't like to repeat that with the new 1070 model.

On another note as I have said before, I am really hoping for a lot more performance out of the new generation of cards, if the middle Pascal and indeed Polaris come in at only 20% faster than the 980ti/FuryX I will be disappointed. I would love to see double the performance at the same tier, but that probably wont happen.
The moment we see the first set of performance figures, from either camp we will know what sort of performance jump will see across the board. Lets just hope it bigger than any of us could expect or hope for.

Soldato

Because it would be way cheaper to produce and way easier to sell!!

Soldato
If anyone was to go into the Polaris thread and say that medium Polaris wont match a FuryX for performance and will be £400-450, they would get laughed at.

That isn't what I am claiming though. The initial released "medium" Pascal will be faster than 980Ti for the same price point. 2nd tier price point (~£400) will buy you around current 980Ti/Fury X performance. So basically a new high end with new 2nd tier being present high end performance.

The usual routine for GPU launches, we get previous high end performance for new 2nd tier prices and so on down each tier.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That isn't what I am claiming though. The initial released "medium" Pascal will be faster than 980Ti for the same price point. 2nd tier price point (~£400) will buy you around current 980Ti/Fury X performance. So basically a new high end with new 2nd tier being present high end performance.

The usual routine for GPU launches, we get previous high end performance for new 2nd tier prices and so on down each tier.

That is not the usual routine at all. You are just making up a price point that there has never been for the X70 card.

The X70 card has always historically been around the £300 mark (470,570,670,770 and 970).

Soldato
That is not the usual routine at all. You are just making up a price point that there has never been for the X70 card.

The X70 card has always historically been around the £300 mark (470,570,670,770 and 970).

GTX670 when released was ~£330+: Roughly equal to AMD top end GPU HD7970
GTX770 when released was ~£350+: Roughly equal to AMD top end GPU HD7970-GE
GTX970 when released was ~£275+: Slower than AMD R9 290X and arguably the R9 290

Do you see a pattern emerging?

Current 2nd tier (arguably 3rd tier) GPUs are currently sitting at the £400 mark. If Pascal 2nd tier is equal to 980Ti speeds then I fully expect a price of ~£400+

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Why would they care?

The 980Ti will be end of line/out of production, and sold off at fire sale prices just like every other top end graphics card has been once the new cards come out.

Nvidia don't give a monkeys as they have already sold them all to the board partners :p

Releasing a Pascal card that has exactly the same performance and price as a 980Ti, a year after the 980Ti launched would be utterly stupid from a commercial point of view.

Well just think of the 970. This card was just about a match for the fastest thing that NVidia had at the time and it was the second tier of the new 900 series cards at the time. It was around £300 (I paid £281.99 for MSI 970 on the 21st of September, 3 days after launch from here) it has been NVidia best selling card ever, you really think they wouldn't like to repeat that with the new 1070 model.

On another note as I have said before, I am really hoping for a lot more performance out of the new generation of cards, if the middle Pascal and indeed Polaris come in at only 20% faster than the 980ti/FuryX I will be disappointed. I would love to see double the performance at the same tier, but that probably wont happen.
The moment we see the first set of performance figures, from either camp we will know what sort of performance jump will see across the board. Lets just hope it bigger than any of us could expect or hope for.

Because it would be way cheaper to produce and way easier to sell!!

Ok, then think of it from this angle...

This may be the reason why Pascal is in no hurry, because the 900/Titan range is still selling really well, and why release a new range so quickly when the others are still selling.

So instead of releasing a 980ti equiv for £300-ish, they still do that but only when the current sales start to fade ?

Back
Top Bottom