• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
We got a shrink here so they can get a lot more out per mm, yes i know that we will not see many large chips at the launch the only way I can see nvidia hiking the price right up if Amd screw up and by all counts, the low and medium sectors they should do well Nvidia will not let Amd grab the low and medium sectors.

bru

bru

Soldato
On the benchlife rumour....

so NVIDIA could have taken a safe route that would protect them from any possible issues with HBM production. So rather than wait for new memory chips, NVIDIA is going to use known technology and focus exclusively on new power efficient 16nm FF node.

Oh yes because GDDR5X isn't a new technology. I know I know, I'm just being pedantic.
Realistically I don't think GDDR5X would be ready and available in enough volume, for late may launch, it will be GDDR5.

While everyone would love to see 980ti performance at a vastly cheaper price to do so nvidia would be cutting their own throat. At the very least any new card that matches performance of the flagship card will be delayed until the top end cards are released at vastly increased prices. Titans and 980ti have shown that people are quite happy to pay £500+ for a card something that wouldn't have been possible or even excusable 5 years ago. Anything that's better than what we have now will be more expensive simply because they can. Unless AMD come out with something that's faster, quieter, cheaper and cooler than whatever nvidia release the status quo will continue. Which, in video cards means green dominating and pricing as they like and some of us will happily lap it up.

So with that thinking every generation of GPU's will just get more expensive, and of course you would never be able to buy a £100 750ti that is just as fast as a £450 GTX480.
Funnily enough that was launched nearly 6 years ago, allow a little for inflation and bang there you go £500+.

480-launch-prices.jpg

Caporegime
There's a difference tho in saying that they will release a 980ti perf card that's cheaper than a 980ti. Which will all expect they will.

But saying that this card is going to come in at £300 or less... that's what some of us are taking issue with :p It doesn't seem plausible.

One thing's for sure... their top end card this gen is not going to be £400 or less. And there's good reason to think that mid-sized Pascal is going to be the top-end card for some time.

Most speculation is that "big" Pascal won't hit till 2017, is it not?

Will nV have a lineup with a £300 card and a £400 card only until 2017? I guess it all depends on if you believe the big Pascal is coming this summer.

Soldato
Kind of expected though, as the nodes get smaller they become harder/more expensive to market so they have to drag them out longer to milk the money out of it. I don't blame them in the slightest, anything else would be pure stupidity on their part.

How long will 28nm have been around once Pascal launches? So expect at least the same, maybe longer for 16nm.

Ohh I agree mate, just sad to see this happening as a enthusiast of computer technology and how it's slowing down a lot.

Associate
There are people that got 970s for 300 pounds that would buy a GTX 1070 for 300 pounds if it was 5% faster than reference stock 980Ti and had a sparkly new feature advertised that was in reality not essential or hard to even notice, rather than just buying a 980Ti in the first place for around the same total price or slightly less, but they would be unlikely to go from 970 to 980Ti, I think thats the point being made

personally disappointed that no HBM2 on mainstream pascal cards, just like the disappointment when 20nm was skipped.
I wonder what this means for the form factor of the 1080 card if they are still using GDDR5

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia will not release something that has the same performance as a 980Ti over a year later for the same price (£500), especially with AMD readying their Polaris series for this year as well.

It would make zero business sense and hardly anyone would buy it. What would be the point?

Did they release the 980 that beat the 780Ti decently for the 780Ti release price? No, because it would have been stupid.

Nvidia will be cutting their throats if they do as YOU think.

Start it at 4m50s for the benchmarks..

This clearly also shows how Nvidia gimped the drivers for the 780ti/Kepler or they really optimized the drivers for Maxwell and ignored optimizing the Kepler cards altogether. I'm expecting Maxwell to get gimped too in the future. As you see the 980 and the 780ti were head to head and in some cases better than the 980, there is still some benchmarks that show the 780ti better than the 980 even on today's drivers. I'm expecting the same thing is going to happen with the 1080, it will be more efficient and probably matching the 980ti or maybe slower by a touch and just priced in a different bracket so they don't sabotage their 980ti prices and stocks. Who knows really, we just have to wait and see. But I expect to see them either head to head or a touch slower and with driver optimizations they will get faster in some games and benchmarks..

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
There's a difference tho in saying that they will release a 980ti perf card that's cheaper than a 980ti. Which will all expect they will.

But saying that this card is going to come in at £300 or less... that's what some of us are taking issue with :p It doesn't seem plausible.

One thing's for sure... their top end card this gen is not going to be £400 or less. And there's good reason to think that mid-sized Pascal is going to be the top-end card for some time.

Will nV have a lineup with a £300 card and a £400 card only until 2017? I guess it all depends on if you believe the big Pascal is coming this summer.

So very similar to what they did with the 900 series then, 980 and 970 then a 6 month wait till the titanX and the 980ti 3 months after that.

I expect the x80 Pascal card to be shown at GTC, they will tell us that they will be available within 8 weeks which will bring us up to just before computex. Then over the next few months there will be a few of the smaller Pascal based cards, along with mobile parts. Come October-December time the big Pascal part will make an appearance in the Titan form, it will be mind bendingly fast and cost two arms and two legs, probably with 32GB of HBM2, then in March/April the consumer big Pascal will make an appearance with 16GB HBM2

I am not expecting AMD's release schedule to look that much different.

Caporegime

How on earth is not plausible? It literally happened last time in September 2014 and on the same process!

No, their top end card with mid-pascal will not be below £400 but then that card (presumably will be called the 1080) will be a decent bit faster than the 980Ti. This means the X70 card will likely be around 980Ti performance for ~£300.

670 matched/surpassed the 580 and was £319
770 matched/surpassed the 680 was £329
970 matched the 780Ti and was £280

I don't know what reality you live in that makes you think it so implausible :p

It is actually more implausible that this won't happen!

Last edited:
Caporegime
So very similar to what they did with the 900 series then, 980 and 970 then a 6 month wait till the titanX and the 980ti 3 months after that.

I expect the x80 Pascal card to be shown at GTC, they will tell us that they will be available within 8 weeks which will bring us up to just before computex. Then over the next few months there will be a few of the smaller Pascal based cards, along with mobile parts. Come October-December time the big Pascal part will make an appearance in the Titan form, it will be mind bendingly fast and cost two arms and two legs, probably with 32GB of HBM2, then in March/April the consumer big Pascal will make an appearance with 16GB HBM2

I am not expecting AMD's release schedule to look that much different.

This sounds very likely.

Associate
How on earth is not plausible? It literally happened last time in September 2014 and on the same process!

No, their top end card with mid-pascal will not be below £400 but then that card (presumably will be called the 1080) will be a decent bit faster than the 980Ti. This means the X70 card will likely be around 980Ti performance for ~£300.

670 matched/surpassed the 580 and was £319
770 matched/surpassed the 680 was £329
970 matched the 780Ti and was £280

I don't know what reality you live in that makes you think it so implausible :p

It is actually more implausible that this won't happen!
Lat time when Die shrink happend New mid-range SKU GTX670/680 just destroyed GTX580 at same(680) or(670 case) much less cost.
If that happen again with new shrink we should see:
1080 30% faster than TITANX at cost 500-550USD price(35-39% faster vs cutdown 980TI witch is basicaly GTX570 of 40nm era only slighly less cutdown vs how was 570)
680 costs same as GTX580 both were 500USD MSRP cards.

1070 should be faster than TITANX by 15-20%(20-25% vs 980TI)
At cost 350-400USD
670 was 21% faster than GTX580 flagship and cost 400USD at launch.
1bhs83.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lat time when Die shrink happend New mid-range SKU GTX670/680 just destroyed GTX580 at same(680) or(670 case) much less cost.
1080 30% faster than TITANX at cost 500-550USD price(35-39% faster vs cutdown 980TI witch is basicaly GTX570 of 40nm era only slighly less cutdown vs how was 570)

At cost 350-400USD
1bhs83.jpg

Exactly.

Caporegime
Oh wow, it gets better :p

You think a 1070 is going to be £300 and 20% faster than a TitanX?

Impressive levels of optimism being displayed here. Or delusion :p One or the other.

Caporegime
Oh wow, it gets better :p

You think a 1070 is going to be £300 and 20% faster than a TitanX?

Impressive levels of optimism being displayed here. Or delusion :p One or the other.

I personally don't, but what he has posted is sort of correct and more plausible than what you think at least. I am going to err on the side of caution and say the X70 card will be around 980Ti levels of performance.

Are you going to answer why you think what will happen this time will be completely different from the previous recent generations or are you just going to keep saying 'lol implausible' and that everyone is delusional with nothing to back it up? :p

You must be extremely pessimistic if you think Nvida are going to release a card barely faster than the 980Ti, for the same price as the 980Ti's release price. We want and expect progress, especially with going to a whole new process.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Much more testing question is who will announce first AMD or NVidia and who will have their cards in the shops first

I expect that NVidia will announce first but AMD might just sneak in and get the cards available first.

Associate

At cost 350-400USD
1bhs83.jpg

Also the HD 7870 was AMD's 3rd tier card but still faster than their 1st tier on 40nm. And compared to the GTX 580 it gave almost identical performance but for around 40% cheaper.

So I can totally see 980 Ti performance in the £300-350 range.

Last edited:
Caporegime
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga/5

Aside from the fact that there are loads of cases where the 670 wasn't nearly as far ahead as you believe, you're all comparing very different situations.

The 580gtx had nearly no architectural improvement on the 480gtx. Nvidia spent a year trying to fix the 480gtx, it always was a mostly basic respin. The 670 brought a very large, and long coming architecture update from Fermi. This time around Maxwell is that architecture boost, it also had the hardware scheduler and compute stripped out... the new parts on 16nm will have both of those added back in and won't be nearly as big as an architectural shift. So the chances of gaining the same amount as effectively a 'full' 480gtx to a 670gtx, and a 980ti to a xx70 is nearly non existent.

That is before we get to the fact that people are basing their assumptions on the 970 price and going with £300.

680gtx, $500/£420 actual price(though on average at launch more like £450), 670gtx $400/£330. 980 $550/cba'd to check £, 970 $329/£275 ish for some apparently.

So lets ignore that a 670gtx wasn't actually £300, let alone £270, it was a good chunk more on a MUCH cheaper process. The 970 was cheaper because it was a much more heavily cut down part that performed way worse in comparison to the fullfat part than the 670 did.

670 was about 10% tmu/shader reduction, same rops, same memory bus as the 680. The 970 had an almost 20% drop in tmu/shaders wile rops were almost 15% lower and don't get me started on the memory bus.

The actual price for the full fat part went UP, the 970 was cheaper because it was much more significantly cut down.

So add this all up, Pascal isn't nearly as big a architecture change as Kepler was to Fermi, not by a mile. It will have to add things back in stripped out vs Maxwell cards, this will negatively impact overall gaming performance increase as it will take up die space. The 670 was £330, not £300 and the 16nm finfet process is significantly more expensive than 28nm planar.

Expect $550-650 for the new xx80 part and $425-500 for the xx70 part, imho.

Back
Top Bottom