• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Man of Honour
a GTX 1080 with only ONE 8 pin? Doesn't seem right to me.. Most have at least 1x6/1x8 or 2x6. What could be going on here?

A GTX 980 only needs one 8 pin.

It actually comes with 2x6 pins but 1x8 pin would do the job.

2x6 pins make the GTX 980 look a bit more beefy than it is though.:D

I think the first mid range Pascal cards could come with 2x6 pins as well, providing NVidia are not trying to save space on the PCB in which case a single 1x8 pin will do.

Man of Honour
a GTX 1080 with only ONE 8 pin? Doesn't seem right to me.. Most have at least 1x6/1x8 or 2x6. What could be going on here?

16nm FF+ v 28nm at the same performance level can provide significant power reduction - a GPU pulling 170watt on 28nm could be pulling something like 92watt on 16nm.

Soldato
Well the new GTX 1080 or whatever they call it won't have GDDR5X either... from what I understand they have not even started production on GDDR5X yet too.. So HBM2 & GDDR5X are not going to be on these cards..

This 1080 will be like a 680 when it came out.. then the real Kepler cards came out later 780's and 780ti's / titan and titan black.. It's Nvidia starting the milking again.. 3 new "top end" cards coming soon.. so if we get GTX 1080 in May GDDR5, then 2017 we will get GTX 1180 GDDR5X and maybe HBM2 that still won't be a full fat Pascal and then 2018 full fat pascal HBM2 and the ti versions.

Here we go again...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the new GTX 1080 or whatever they call it won't have GDDR5X either... from what I understand they have not even started production on GDDR5X yet too.. So HBM2 & GDDR5X are not going to be on these cards..

This 1080 will be like a 680 when it came out.. then the real Kepler cards came out later 780's and 780ti's / titan and titan black.. It's Nvidea starting the milking again.. 3 new "top end" cards coming soon.. so if we get GTX 1080 in May GDDR5, then 2017 we will get GTX 1180 GDDR5X and maybe HBM2 that still won't be a full fat Pascal and then 2018 full fat pascal HBM2 and the ti versions.

Here we go again...

Kind of expected though, as the nodes get smaller they become harder/more expensive to market so they have to drag them out longer to milk the money out of it. I don't blame them in the slightest, anything else would be pure stupidity on their part.

How long will 28nm have been around once Pascal launches? So expect at least the same, maybe longer for 16nm.

Caporegime
The new process is supposed to bring a lot of power efficiency gains.

All that means is that you can have more transistors for the same power budget. GM104 and GP104 are not the "big" dies, so the drop in power means they aren't increasing the transistor count (and hence performance) as much as they possibly could have.

So you have two sides. One who likes the reduced power and accepts a lesser jump in performance, and one who would like the power budget to have remained the same, and got even more performance.

But probably both companies are going to really push "reduced power" as a big thing this gen. All it means is that you're getting less of a perf jump than if they'd kept the same power budgets.

Caporegime
A GTX 980 only needs one 8 pin.

It actually comes with 2x6 pins but 1x8 pin would do the job.

2x6 pins make the GTX 980 look a bit more beefy than it is though.:D

I think the first mid range Pascal cards could come with 2x6 pins as well, providing NVidia are not trying to save space on the PCB in which case a single 1x8 pin will do.

My Gigabyte WF OC 970 comes with an 8 Pin + 6 Pin :eek:

Caporegime
Before we begin I want to make clear it that I’m only posting this story because BenchLife stories are usually correct (in the past they released many Intel and AMD slides, which turned out to be true). However I’m still not convinced, especially about the name: GTX 1080 (I would rather expect GTX 1800, which corresponds to Quadro naming schema).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 has GP104 GPU but no HBM2?

BenchLife are very specific in their post about few things (which is not very common for rumors). First of all they claim Jen-Hsun will announce Pascal architecture in April. They further report that NVIDIA is planning to launch GeForce GTX 1080 in May, shortly before Computex.

Most importantly though the new flagship would not have HBM2 memory. Card is allegedly equipped with 8GB GDDR5X memory, which basically means HBM2 will have to wait for Pascal GP100. Now does it make sense? Technically yes, because mass production of HBM2 modules is not expected to begin sooner than third quarter. FinFET GPU production is probably doing much better than HBM production, so NVIDIA could have taken a safe route that would protect them from any possible issues with HBM production. So rather than wait for new memory chips, NVIDIA is going to use known technology and focus exclusively on new power efficient 16nm FF node.

Now, going back to GTX 1080, the leakers also claim to know display output configuration, which is DisplayPort x2, HDMI x1, DVI x1. Not only that, they also say that GTX 1080 has one 8pin power connector (so the maximum power consumption would not exceed 225W).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (GTX 1800) would launch on May 27th, which is just 4 days before Computex, allowing AIB partners to show their cards at the event. The problem about the date is that it’s not Tuesday or Thursday and I don’t remember NVIDIA releasing anything on Friday.

Well anyway, to sum up, this is what BenchLife rumor looks like in a nutshell:

NVIDIA Pascal rumors

Pascal launch in April;
GTX 1080/1800 launch in May 27th;
GTX 1080/1800 has GP104 Pascal GPU;
GTX 1080/1800 has 8GB GDDR5X memory;
GTX 1080/1800 has one 8pin power connector;
GTX 1080/1800 has 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x DisplayPort;
first Pascal board with HBM would be GP100 (Big Pascal)

http://videocardz.com/58462/rumor-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-has-gp104-and-8gb-gddr5x-memory

Man of Honour
Regardless of whether there is anything to that leak or not I dunno why they are putting such emphasis on specific connection details making it more likely to be real rather than made up. It isn't like the likely display output configuration is hard to guess at or that 16nm FF+ has potential for reduced power requirements :D

Associate

It would make sense for NV to release before Computex, as AMD will likely release theirs there.
Other than this whole article sounds like bullcr@p, especially the memory part.
Not coming with HBM because that will only come in q3...samsung started mass production in January
Its coming with GDDR5X instead...it will only goes to mass production at summer.

So either just a paper launch only to get the attention before AMD release, or just plain hype with same intention.

Last edited:
Caporegime
While everyone would love to see 980ti performance at a vastly cheaper price to do so nvidia would be cutting their own throat. At the very least any new card that matches performance of the flagship card will be delayed until the top end cards are released at vastly increased prices. Titans and 980ti have shown that people are quite happy to pay £500+ for a card something that wouldn't have been possible or even excusable 5 years ago. Anything that's better than what we have now will be more expensive simply because they can. Unless AMD come out with something that's faster, quieter, cheaper and cooler than whatever nvidia release the status quo will continue. Which, in video cards means green dominating and pricing as they like and some of us will happily lap it up.

Permabanned
While everyone would love to see 980ti performance at a vastly cheaper price to do so nvidia would be cutting their own throat.

I see this sort of thing said all the time but it fails to take into account the amount of people buying the £2-300 cards vastly outnumber the £500+ buyers.

Caporegime
While everyone would love to see 980ti performance at a vastly cheaper price to do so nvidia would be cutting their own throat. At the very least any new card that matches performance of the flagship card will be delayed until the top end cards are released at vastly increased prices. Titans and 980ti have shown that people are quite happy to pay £500+ for a card something that wouldn't have been possible or even excusable 5 years ago. Anything that's better than what we have now will be more expensive simply because they can. Unless AMD come out with something that's faster, quieter, cheaper and cooler than whatever nvidia release the status quo will continue. Which, in video cards means green dominating and pricing as they like and some of us will happily lap it up.

Nvidia will not release something that has the same performance as a 980Ti over a year later for the same price (£500), especially with AMD readying their Polaris series for this year as well.

It would make zero business sense and hardly anyone would buy it. What would be the point?

Did they release the 980 that beat the 780Ti decently for the 780Ti release price? No, because it would have been stupid.

Nvidia will be cutting their throats if they do as YOU think.

Associate
Wow fact checking by whoever wrote it on BenchLife is absent once again. Anyway, this will not put a dent in my getting a 980 Ti classy this/come March/April/May :D - if it's true to begin with ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom