• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
Seeing how this is all playing out with Pascal and Polaris, I would certainly have no problem buying a top card from AMD or NVidia today to play games. There is some peach games out at the mo and look great with the details turned up and being the impatient type I am, I would hate to wait and wait and then find I could have the same performance months ago, even if it cost me more.

Just my way of thinking of course and not everyone's.

Caporegime
Yeah, well, some of us have self-imposed ceilings on what we'll spend and what we won't.

Otherwise you end up buying SLI Titans :p And who in their right mind would do that? :D

Caporegime
Seeing how this is all playing out with Pascal and Polaris, I would certainly have no problem buying a top card from AMD or NVidia today to play games. There is some peach games out at the mo and look great with the details turned up and being the impatient type I am, I would hate to wait and wait and then find I could have the same performance months ago, even if it cost me more.

Just my way of thinking of course and not everyone's.

I agree. People interested in top tier cards are not financially astute..:p

Soldato
I have just bought a second 980TI as i cant wait, i have little patience in that department and like new toys to test and try out.
I know SLI has its downfalls at times but i have games that badly need the extra grunt and dont want to be waiting for an unknown amount of time for new tech just around the corner when i can just enjoy now :)

Caporegime
Yeah, well, some of us have self-imposed ceilings on what we'll spend and what we won't.

Otherwise you end up buying SLI Titans :p And who in their right mind would do that? :D

Anyone who wants to....:D

Fact is people with 970s now have had access to that level of performance for years...but not bought into it.

People jumping on 780 in 2013 paid a premium but Selling them 780s on for £150 years later...

That's value for money for three years gaming...

Caporegime
I have just bought a second 980TI as i cant wait, i have little patience in that department and like new toys to test and try out.
I know SLI has its downfalls at times but i have games that badly need the extra grunt and dont want to be waiting for an unknown amount of time for new tech just around the corner when i can just enjoy now :)

Why didn't you buy mine ? :p

Associate
22nm Intel v 14nm skylake..

Same clock speeds very little in terms of gains.

What a load of nonsense. Intel can afford to do that, little to no competition for starters. You should not be comparing cpu's with gpu's anyway.

It is obvious if the guy can wait he is likely to get a better deal in this instance.

But if money is no issue, go ahead get a 980ti now. Enjoy it until big pascal comes. But there is a good chance even when small pascal comes this summer the 980ti will feel like old tech and he may feel buyers remorse when everyone is talking about the new tech and his recently purchase card will feel old.

Caporegime
What a load of nonsense. Intel can afford to do that, little to no competition for starters. You should not be comparing cpu's with gpu's anyway.

It is obvious if the guy can wait he is likely to get a better deal in this instance.

But if money is no issue, go ahead get a 980ti now. Enjoy it until big pascal comes. But there is a good chance even when small pascal comes this summer the 980ti will feel like old tech and he may feel buyers remorse when everyone is talking about the new tech and his recently purchase card will feel old.

And nivida can't ? :p

As for feel old? It's all about speed not what your gpu says in gpu-z

Example,

Joe blogs has a 780 in his PC clocked up...getting the same speeds as someone with a brand new 970

The dude with 780 has had this performance since 2013... Does the 780 suddenly become "old " nope...

bru

bru

Soldato

Example,

Joe blogs has a 780 in his PC clocked up...getting the same speeds as someone with a brand new 970

The dude with 780 has had this performance since 2013... Does the 780 suddenly become "old " nope...

ER not sure that is how age works. ;)

I do agree with you though that as soon as a new model comes out it doesn't automatically make the previous one 'feel' old.

Caporegime
ER not sure that is how age works. ;)

I do agree with you though that as soon as a new model comes out it doesn't automatically make the previous one 'feel' old.

It's all about the speed bro.

If mid range pascal beats 980 ti then that's dandy...if it doesn't then you still have a 980ti...

:p

Associate

Example,

Don't think nvidia can take a chance no.

I think you know exactly what I mean when I say old. You buy a card, suddenly no one talking about it and everyone enjoying talking about their new tech/toy and you feel left out etc.

Caporegime
Don't think nvidia can take a chance no.

I think you know exactly what I mean when I say old. You buy a card, suddenly no one talking about it and everyone enjoying talking about their new tech/toy and you feel left out etc.

People are stuck in one camp cause of GYSYNC lol

That comes with maturity.:p

But they all could have lower fps ? :p

I know what's important to me in games ...

Soldato
Here's my guesstimation on performance. The last time we had the same situation was when 580 became 680 and then 780. So top end of the previous range, across a die shrink. Mid range launched first then full fat.

It is rumoured that full fat pascal has just over twice the transistor count of the 980Ti, exactly like the 580 to 780.

So I expect to see this level of performance difference between 980Ti and 1080 (mid range part)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1444?vs=1494
Probably slightly less as Nvidia clocked the 680 to match the 7970.

And then this may be 980Ti to 1080Ti performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1444?vs=1493

Associate

None the less, it is worth waiting to see what is coming out soon before making a decision. But if he cannot wait then can't go wrong with a 980ti. At least he is making the choice with his eyes open knowing new stuff is around the corner.

28nm to 14nm is a big thing worth waiting a few month is my position ;)

Associate
People are stuck in one camp cause of GYSYNC lol

Yeah im in the same boat with Gsync but i can deal with a 10-15fps loss to the hassle and loss of money of selling a £1000 monitor :p

Tbh i might have a 980ti for sub 400 soon by the looks of it so :)

Back
Top Bottom