• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
Put you could run it of the power from a pcie slot :p

Ha,yay!

X70 beating 980ti ...not so sure...

Whilst I hope the X70 beats a 980Ti, I am not so sure and don't want to get too excited. I reckon it will be at least on a par though.

I am on a 980 and want a new card. 980Ti performance (so ~30-35% jump from a 980) isn't enough so I'm hoping for more from medium Pascal. Fingers crossed the X80- will be at least 20% faster than a 980Ti , then I might bite.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah im in the same boat with Gsync but i can deal with a 10-15fps loss to the hassle and loss of money of selling a £1000 monitor :p

Tbh i might have a 980ti for sub 400 soon by the looks of it so :)

Under 400 is good idea. Won't lose too much value in a few months at least and you get it now. Should keep you happy until big pascal arrives.

Caporegime
None the less, it is worth waiting to see what is coming out soon before making a decision. But if he cannot wait then can't go wrong with a 980ti. At least he is making the choice with his eyes open knowing new stuff is around the corner.

28nm to 14nm is a big thing worth waiting a few month is my position ;)

Just take the two 780ti just sold in MM for 180 each...

For cards launched may 2013 that's not a great loss of value over three years!

100 quid a year!

Last edited:
Associate
Here's my guesstimation on performance. The last time we had the same situation was when 580 became 680 and then 780. So top end of the previous range, across a die shrink. Mid range launched first then full fat.

It is rumoured that full fat pascal has just over twice the transistor count of the 980Ti, exactly like the 580 to 780.

So I expect to see this level of performance difference between 980Ti and 1080 (mid range part)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1444?vs=1494
Probably slightly less as Nvidia clocked the 680 to match the 7970.

And then this may be 980Ti to 1080Ti performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1444?vs=1493

This is exactly what I've been saying, this is the type of performance we should be getting or a little more as the Ti is a cut down chip, however with my OC my Ti is on average 25% faster than reference, so I'm really hoping medium Pascal is roughly at least 10% faster than my current overclocked card then I'll pull the trigger, overclock the beast and enjoy pascal

Associate
Sorry to just jump in I currently have an evga 780 and am looking at upgrading my monitor to 1440p maybe a rog swift, will the new cards coming out have enough grunt to run games smoothly with high settings? Or are they not high end enough sorry I am abit out of the loop

Soldato
If it doesn't it will be the most disappointing and pointless new generation ever!

The chances of this are slim to none.

This^

With everyone worldwide excited about Pascal. It better not disappoint? This could be a make or break for Nvida.

Sorry to just jump in I currently have an evga 780 and am looking at upgrading my monitor to 1440p maybe a rog swift, will the new cards coming out have enough grunt to run games smoothly with high settings? Or are they not high end enough sorry I am abit out of the loop

The current gen runs 1440p with G-Sync very well. G-Sync smooths everything out even in lower frames which it does amazing at.

Caporegime

No one knows pascal performance yet.

1440p needs more than 3gb ram though.

Associate
Cheers for the response guys, the main concern was if 3gb would be enough especially as I play all sorts of games some more challenging for gpu's than others. I think I will hold off for a while and see what's in the offering.

Man of Honour

I'm running 1440p with 780 with the ROG Swift does well enough quite close to the VRAM limits but generally ok for now - the only real compromise is that sometimes I have to use FXAA over 4x MSAA. Without G-Sync would have definitely upgraded though.

EDIT: I'm running a fairly decent overclock however - if you are limited to below 1100MHz or so it might be another story.

Last edited:
Associate
unless people were running potatoes then I see no point in upgrading at all now, anyone with a GTX 680 or above I'd hold off as you have waited this long :) as previously stated, Nvidia knows Pascal has to be a success with the hype around it, so I strongly believe we're going to get fantastic performance whilst using a lot less power with gp104 and gp100 well that's just going to be an absolute tank and will run through anything (y)

Associate
unless people were running potatoes then I see no point in upgrading at all now, anyone with a GTX 680 or above I'd hold off as you have waited this long :) as previously stated, Nvidia knows Pascal has to be a success with the hype around it, so I strongly believe we're going to get fantastic performance whilst using a lot less power with gp104 and gp100 well that's just going to be an absolute tank and will run through anything (y)

One might as well wait for Volta then :p silliness aside, I don't think Nvidia gives a darn about the hype and they will certainly not provide products to facilitate / satisfy said hype. Hypes are always over the top anyways. Add to that that their gaming segment is pretty small as compared to their professional segments where the real money is to me made, it seems. I'm talking Quadro, Tesla, automotive.

I would make a good case for upgrading, especially if you're in the six series and above; they won't cut it in today's games.

As many have said previously, including myself; low and medium cards are expected to arrive first, leaving the current Ti and Titan as the high end segments until their respective replacements arrive in 2017, making the current high end segments still a good choice. Expectations for first Pascal are too high if you ask me. However in the end no one knows. What I do know is that I'm waiting to play several games and I don't like it.

Associate
One might as well wait for Volta then :p silliness aside, I don't think Nvidia gives a darn about the hype and they will certainly not provide products to facilitate / satisfy said hype. Hypes are always over the top anyways. Add to that that their gaming segment is pretty small as compared to their professional segments where the real money is to me made, it seems. I'm talking Quadro, Tesla, automotive.

I would make a good case for upgrading, especially if you're in the six series and above; they won't cut it in today's games.

As many have said previously, including myself; low and medium cards are expected to arrive first, leaving the current Ti and Titan as the high end segments until their respective replacements arrive in 2017, making the current high end segments still a good choice. Expectations for first Pascal are too high if you ask me. However in the end no one knows. What I do know is that I'm waiting to play several games and I don't like it.

If going from the 980 Ti to the 1080? is the same as going from the 580 to the 680, then I'll be happy, anymore is just a bonus and I'll be really happy :D

Soldato
Anyone who wants to....:D

Fact is people with 970s now have had access to that level of performance for years...but not bought into it.

People jumping on 780 in 2013 paid a premium but Selling them 780s on for £150 years later...

That's value for money for three years gaming...

I'm still hanging onto a 780, but it hasn't been a bed of roses. Keplar driver support has taken a back seat to Maxwell. For example, techspot did a piece on The Division last week. Their figures show the 780 being beaten by a 7970 GHz. That's not good.

Now Maxwell is even more dependent on driver optimisation than Keplar, owing to the fact that Nvidia cut out some of the compute scheduling hardware. The work has to be done at driver level with per game optimisation to ensure each new release is using the hardware as efficiently as possible. Thats a lot of work for the driver team. So my fear is Nvidia will drop Maxwell driver support like a hot rock when Pascal arrives.

It seems RTG has been better at legacy support over the last couple of years. Here's hoping that changes, because Maxwell relies on it.

Soldato
I'm still hanging onto a 780, but it hasn't been a bed of roses. Keplar driver support has taken a back seat to Maxwell. For example, techspot did a piece on The Division last week. Their figures show the 780 being beaten by a 7970 GHz. That's not good.

Now Maxwell is even more dependent on driver optimisation than Keplar, owing to the fact that Nvidia cut out some of the compute scheduling hardware. The work has to be done at driver level with per game optimisation to ensure each new release is using the hardware as efficiently as possible. Thats a lot of work for the driver team. So my fear is Nvidia will drop Maxwell driver support like a hot rock when Pascal arrives.

It seems RTG has been better at legacy support over the last couple of years. Here's hoping that changes, because Maxwell relies on it.

+1.

I'm currently rocking a 390X, happy with it's performance but keen to upgrade to Pascal when it releases.

It's the fact that knowing driver optimizations will be dropped once the next generation launches that's slightly putting me off - though if you buy into Pascal on release, it will probably be 'current' for 18-24 months before the next architecture comes along.

I can personally commit to upgrading GPU's on a 18-24 month cycle, though I know many people like to keep their GPU's for far longer etc.

Soldato
Would it even make sense money wise for 980Ti owners to sell up, go to the first midrange Pascal card and then move up to the 1080Ti/x80Ti when released? Assuming they bring out the Ti card shortly after the Titan of course.. No guarantee there either.

Soldato
Would it even make sense money wise for 980Ti owners to sell up, go to the first midrange Pascal card and then move up to the 1080Ti/x80Ti when released? Assuming they bring out the Ti card shortly after the Titan of course.. No guarantee there either.

It depends on how much faster it is. A 1080 won't drop in price when the Ti comes out though, so you shouldn't lose much selling a 1080, where as a 980ti will probably drop more between now and when the new ti comes out.

Luckily there does seem to be a lag on some auction sites between when new cards are announced and when prices drop, so with some good timing you might be able to upgrade from a 980tI for next to nothing

Back
Top Bottom