• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
Given a 980Ti still retails for 550 I think it would be highly unlikely to expect something 15% faster for so much cheaper.

But this is illogical thinking. By this logic (which bizarrely so many on here seem to have), graphics cards would cost 5 figure sums by now by now.

New cards come out, which give more performance, for the same money as the old ones. The old one's go EOL and their prices plummet/ they get sold off in old stock fire sales. The same can be said for most tech products.

Nvidia arent going to release a card that costs the same, and offers the same performance as a card that they released over a year prevously. Espeically when they will likely have decent competition from Polaris.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get an inkling (in keeping with this thread really, with it's never ending speculation) that the X70 Pascal card will be much more "mid range" aimed than previous generations.

I'm not sure how well the 960 did but I get the impression it wasn't a big seller, if they can incorporate some of the X60 market performance and price level into a X70 card and make it even more £/performance than previous 70 cards by slowing it up a little then they could clean up the mid range entirely.

TL;DR, I don't think X70 and X80 cards will be aimed at the same level as previous gens.

Caporegime
I get an inkling (in keeping with this thread really, with it's never ending speculation) that the X70 Pascal card will be much more "mid range" aimed than previous generations.

I'm not sure how well the 960 did but I get the impression it wasn't a big seller, if they can incorporate some of the X60 market performance and price level into a X70 card and make it even more £/performance than previous 70 cards by slowing it up a little then they could clean up the mid range entirely.

TL;DR, I don't think X70 and X80 cards will be aimed at the same level as previous gens.

But Nvidia then run the huge risk of AMD releasing cards that are faster and them not having the fastest single GPU crown at any one point (It is what their brand is built on.), thus losing market share. I don't think Nvidia will risk it.

Caporegime

That sounds like decent move.

The 960 was panned here, and hardly anyone ever recommended it, for anything. Obsolete the moment it hit the market.

That said, the fact that the 970 was £300 made it a tough sell for many of the more budget conscious here, myself included. Especially after "3.5-gate".

A 1070 that's priced at £220 (max), and having a performance ~980 non-ti (+a bit), would no doubt sell really well. Really well. Just not to current 970 owners, who would need to step up to the 1080.

Soldato
But Nvidia then run the huge risk of AMD releasing cards that are faster and them not having the fastest single GPU crown at any one point (It is what their brand is built on.), thus losing market share. I don't think Nvidia will risk it.

There's always that risk no matter what they put out and at whatever level, what is to stop AMD releasing a Fury X "ti" to beat the 980ti and take the crown?

We know Polaris isn't a performance chip, so it's not going to offer much more than Fury X performance at a lower price point.

bru

bru

Soldato
Tomorrow will be more deep learning, more autonomous driving stuff, with a last little bit at the end about Pascal based discrete cards. A quick showing of the new cards (possibly mock ups) with availability in 6-9 weeks (end may beginning of June) with all the AIB's showing off their boards at Computex (May 31st-4th June).

That's my guess anyway.

Soldato
OP
I'm not really excited by GP104, I want GP100 full fat beasty, Well the "Ti" version :)

Yeah but I bet they make us wait a long long time for the Ti Version.

GP104 (Milking) edition and GP100 (Ultra milking) editions first. I hope Nvidia do release an Nano type card this year though, lower power / use than the big GP100. Not interested in the either the lesser cards or Titan style ones.

Soldato
But this is illogical thinking. By this logic (which bizarrely so many on here seem to have), graphics cards would cost 5 figure sums by now by now.

New cards come out, which give more performance, for the same money as the old ones. The old one's go EOL and their prices plummet/ they get sold off in old stock fire sales. The same can be said for most tech products.

Nvidia arent going to release a card that costs the same, and offers the same performance as a card that they released over a year prevously. Espeically when they will likely have decent competition from Polaris.
Agreed. I think there's a large element of wishful thinking from people who splashed out on a 980 Ti that it's going to hold up and still be the king, but I see no reason to believe that'll be the case. The 970 came along and gave the 780 Ti a good kicking, despite being priced so much lower launch vs launch, and that was just another 28nm card. And one that was launched less than a year after the 780 Ti at that. The gap this time will almost certainly be longer. For me it'd have to go down as one of the biggest tech disappointments in recent memory if we don't see that sort of leap again with a die shrink thrown into the mix too.

Associate
That sounds like decent move.

The 960 was panned here, and hardly anyone ever recommended it, for anything. Obsolete the moment it hit the market.

That said, the fact that the 970 was £300 made it a tough sell for many of the more budget conscious here, myself included. Especially after "3.5-gate".

A 1070 that's priced at £220 (max), and having a performance ~980 non-ti (+a bit), would no doubt sell really well. Really well. Just not to current 970 owners, who would need to step up to the 1080.

That's could very well be the case, but then I'd be saddened knowing that I could have just got a 390 at similar prices for similar performance without the wait.

Soldato
Agreed. I think there's a large element of wishful thinking from people who splashed out on a 980 Ti that it's going to hold up and still be the king, but I see no reason to believe that'll be the case. The 970 came along and gave the 780 Ti a good kicking, despite being priced so much lower launch vs launch, and that was just another 28nm card. And one that was launched less than a year after the 780 Ti at that. The gap this time will almost certainly be longer. For me it'd have to go down as one of the biggest tech disappointments in recent memory if we don't see that sort of leap again with a die shrink thrown into the mix too.

I get the feeling most of those folks haven't been in the game all that long. Anyone who's owned a few flagships knows they'll live like a king for a year, and then generally fall around half way down the performance ladder in roughly two years. It's a bit painful, but that's how it is. Based on everything I've seen in the last couple of decades, i'd expect the GP104 cards to be good performers despite the fact that it's little Pascal. Die shrinks are always significant, but this time it's a particularly big shrink. Of course it all depends on Nvidia's strategy, but launching roughly simultaneously with Polaris, I'd expect Nvidia to bring some competitive performance to the party.

Fingers crossed, I'm still nursing along a 780, and I'd hate to have to wait for the next Ti!

Back
Top Bottom