• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
For their last quarter of 1.4billion income 810mil was graphics, the other segments all together weren't close to as big and the biggest non gaming segment was worth 203million income. Gaming is by a huge margin their biggest earner.

At the moment, but they want to be making billions form HPC, embedded system, drive PX etc.

Caporegime
At the moment, but they want to be making billions form HPC, embedded system, drive PX etc.

Want and do are very different things. They wanted to be making billions from Tegra and they've spent billions in development on it over the past 5 years and they got nowhere at all. They've spent heavily to get into automotive, made a whole 35mil a quarter iirc after years of pushing and from what I saw of CES this and last year, they are losing more contracts than they are gaining now. One of their most profitable contracts was Apple, which they lost.

Soldato
So, the general consent it that the big pascal be here 2017 sometime ?? Or is it still a big guess as to when it due ??

It is a mystery. IBM & a few others will supposedly get their Tesla cards in Q1. We don't even know if it will be released as a GeForce though.

I mean if a wafer costs 8 grand and you get 1 good die per...

Caporegime
From Gp100 Q1 2017 dates being given I would suggest a consumer/gaming Pascal of at least similar size and hbm2/interposer won't come before then and then some. If they are charging basically 10k+ per card till Q1, that suggests how dire yields and supply will be meaning zero chance of similar sized/type card almost certainly couldn't come out at even Titan pricing before I would say several months after this Tesla card.

If Titan is based on GP100(not convinced it will be) I'd not be expecting it before a year from now. If Titan will be something smaller and gddr5 only, then it could come a lot sooner but I still wouldn't bank on this year for serious performance cards, as in 30+% faster than Titan X.

Man of Honour
From Gp100 Q1 2017 dates being given I would suggest a consumer/gaming Pascal of at least similar size and hbm2/interposer won't come before then and then some. If they are charging basically 10k+ per card till Q1, that suggests how dire yields and supply will be meaning zero chance of similar sized/type card almost certainly couldn't come out at even Titan pricing before I would say several months after this Tesla card.

If Titan is based on GP100(not convinced it will be) I'd not be expecting it before a year from now. If Titan will be something smaller and gddr5 only, then it could come a lot sooner but I still wouldn't bank on this year for serious performance cards, as in 30+% faster than Titan X.

Big clue to the yields is the disabled cores, this is something NVidia would not want to do on a professional unless they are have yield problems.

Not much chance of NVidia launching anything less than a fully enabled card for the next Titan as this time round there is every chance big Polaris is going to be faster making anything less than a full fat Pascal card look stupid.

Soldato
They did the same with the original Kepler professional cards, and we had the Titan and then later the Titan Black was the fully unlocked core

Tesla K20 and K20X were both GK110 with parts fused

Last edited:
Associate
In a month's time, "Let's play wait until September for the actual cards."

The launch of this gen has been, and continues to be, painful to live through (for those of us who need a new card pronto! Need, yes. Mine is dying :( ).

In which case I'm glad that the good 1440p/144Hz monitors aren't yet affordable (or that I don't yet have the money to buy one). If I got a swanky new GPU, I'd need a monitor to be able to make use of the increased power. I don't think 1080p60 is appropriate considering that's what I already do with my 970.

I bet Nvidia didn't show jack because they have nought to show. Expect Pascal for consumers in 2017 folks. Until then, I guess Polaris will be the one to tide us over. And depending on how fast Vega releases afterwarfds and how good it is, Nvidia may be down a point at the start of this new generation with their late cards.

I remember this time last year folks were badgering AMD for being late (myself included), now it's the other way around lol.

I'm wondering about the Polaris 10 demo and the things we could have known if Nvidia had done similarly, like what ports. VGA is unlikely and similarly DVI. For those who don't have DP/HDMI monitors, there's products like this to help. AMD are touting 1440p, perhaps Pascal wasn't as good as the Polaris 10 demo and Nvidia has gone back to the drawing board after scraping plans to show consumer Pascal? Just a random guess, but I'd laugh if I was right.

Man of Honour
Dunno why people keep saying that :p nVidia have more than once before not had anything to show at all or ridiculous mockups and launched soon after.

I don't believe it was ever planned to show much about consumer Pascal at GTC.

Associate
Dunno why people keep saying that :p nVidia have more than once before not had anything to show at all or ridiculous mockups and launched soon after.

I don't believe it was ever planned to show much about consumer Pascal at GTC.

Well last ridiculous mock up was fermi. we all remember how that went ;)
Do we have any more of such examples with ridiculous mock ups?

Either way, it is entertaining when we go from High End Pascal launch in April to first test boards pictures in April and from consumer reveal at GTC to 'they never planned to show off consumer Pascal at GTC', and from Computex launch to probable Computex reveal of consumer cards. So no let's start the clock for Computex ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom