• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
I would expect that they have two chips at least - the GTX1080 and GTX1070 will be 300MM2 to 400MM2 chips and remember even with Kepler,Nvidia had both the GK110 and GK104 going at the same time,except I expect yields on the GK110 meant it had to be prioritised for commercial customers first.

bru

bru

Soldato
He doesn't have to have seen the 1070 performance to think that it looks like a nice upgrade from whatever he has now.
Just like myself had a 260 the 470 was a nice upgrade, next was a 670, now a 970, something very very wrong will have to happen for the 1070 not to be a nice upgrade. :)

Caporegime
But if you read my question more carefully you realise that it is not. It is not about the yields. And it is not simple to cut out DP units.
if nvidia had 2 designs for this new process, they would have 2 separate engineer teams, it is not like you just take big pascal, erase DP units in their software and cook the chip ;)
As I said as well, TSMC is very busy and has very limited capacity for nvidia, so if nvidia wanted to buy out extra slot at busy fab, it would cost.
And that is without me mentioning yields which I guess are very low with 600mm2 tesla dies.

They wont be making many GP100 chips, it simply isn't a big market, So Nvidia will have plenty of capacity form TSMC to run a GP104 gaming orientated chip.

Soldato
He doesn't have to have seen the 1070 performance to think that it looks like a nice upgrade from whatever he has now.
Just like myself had a 260 the 470 was a nice upgrade, next was a 670, now a 970, something very very wrong will have to happen for the 1070 not to be a nice upgrade. :)

I've been buying flagships for years, but I've often wondered if I might be better moving to the smaller chips? I skipped 980ti due to starting a family, so I have an opportunity now time my upgrades similar to you.

Soldato
Someone on AT forums managed to notice the following!

GP104 Die Pictured

gp104_zps4mxxp6xd.jpg

According to junmiu @ Chiphell this is GP104 (GM204 successor), and it measures ~290-300mm². At the right there's Samsung K4G80325FB - 1.5V 8Gb GDDR5 chips that can reach 8000MHz.

www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/insight/2015/08/PSG2014_2H_FINAL-1.pdf

Caporegime
GDDR5 makes sense for x80/x70, bit too early for GDDR5X. Maybe Ti will have the X and monster Titan to have HBM2? Esp if it's quite constrained, they're gonna sell all they can make!!!

Soldato
Not seeing any leaks on the AMD side Cat, esp if the launch is soon ;) :D

Yes,considering all the last few AMD launches have had so many die leaks!! :p:D

Fiji,Hawaii,Tahiti,Cayman and Cypress had no die leaks before launch and people were not even sure what the specs were. This is why the HD5870 came out of nowhere. Plus we already had some leaks about a 1024 shader Polaris 11 part and a possible 2304 shader Polaris 10 part.

Plus,AMD does not need leaks since they showed the cards off anyway. Like this actual Polaris 10 card in an Elite 110:

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AMD_Polaris_10_Back-635x620.jpg
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AMD_Polaris_10_CoolerMaster-635x672.jpg

Only seeing dies from Nvidia so far.

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
True, it's not like they need the exposure/buzz at the moment :)

Then again, I forget that they made pretty much the entire marketing department redundant :D

Don't need to if the cards are shown off in action already! All we seen from Nvidia is a GP100,which won't be used for gaming and no noise about the gaming cards apart from rumours. The GP106 picture is from a Drive PX2 but Nvidia tried to hide the GPUs and not show them off.

Nvidia are more tight lipped about their gaming cards than AMD this time.

AMD are literally shouting from the roofs by demoing Polaris 10 and 11 and having the Polaris 10 card in an Elite 110. It is very unusual by them.

IIRC,when they had the six month advantage over the GTX480,they said nothing at all about the HD5870 and they were shipping in volume from launch. The same goes with the HD4870.

Plus AMD has a marketing department - that is a new one for me! :p:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom