• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
GF3 had Ti models.

There isn't really a rule for what silicon they use vs the regular version, Ti just means faster.

And if you were expecting GP100 this year you were deluded anyway.

Soldato
I think the 1080 Ti or whatever they call it will use the same chip as the Pascal Titan.
I think people get too caught up with how things were done the previous generation and assume things will remain the same.

Nvidia switches things up regularly, so no reason they couldn't do so again.

Consistency is nice, but it doesn't always fit their product plans.

What was said is there will be a replacement for the 980 Ti, this can be done with one of the mid range Pascal cards like the GTX 1080 which should be about the same performance or slightly faster.
I agree.

And it damn well better be faster. I'm expecting the 1070 to be as fast as a 980Ti, if not a bit faster, too. The 1080 better well be a good 20-30% faster or else Nvidia are going to have to worry about AMD big-time given that they seem to be making a larger architectural jump along with the node shrink.

Associate
Assuming this is genuine, which I don't see any reason why it isn't, I'm surprised they went with 1080... I thought the rumours of X80 made far more sense from a nomenclature point of view given the 1080p connotations. I think they may be saving 'X' for the HBM2 cards though, to give them more distinction and stand out from all the cards that have come before.

The problem with X is the following generation, what would you call that? Y80? X180?

Caporegime
The 680 was never a great card but did perform very well and allowed NVidia a bit of a mark up on 28nm and 256bit memory but at the time I felt it was their "top end GPU" but looking back now, it was purely a mid range card. I hope they don't do the same again though and will release a decent top end card quite early. The Titan was some 12 months after iirc and that was what the proper top end 28nm NVidia GPU.

Soldato
The 680 was never a great card but did perform very well and allowed NVidia a bit of a mark up on 28nm and 256bit memory but at the time I felt it was their "top end GPU" but looking back now, it was purely a mid range card. I hope they don't do the same again though and will release a decent top end card quite early. The Titan was some 12 months after iirc and that was what the proper top end 28nm NVidia GPU.

I'm using the 4GB Classified 680 now for Project Cars and a few other games, and it holds up pretty well :p (for an old POS)

Caporegime

I'm gonna try and hold on til the beginning of next year if I can, then the tiers will level out somewhat when the monster cards are released :)

Not like my Ti struggles with the X34 atm, just have to turn a few non-essentials down and it's still verrrrrry smooth with Gsync :cool:

Soldato
OP
GF3 had Ti models.

There isn't really a rule for what silicon they use vs the regular version, Ti just means faster.

And if you were expecting GP100 this year you were deluded anyway.

Ti on the high end has been used for a variant of the full chip, you should know this.

Also why is anyone deluded, what an odd thing to write. Nobody knows what is coming when, people just speculate and guess, an educated guess or otherwise.

This forum is toxic lol.

Back
Top Bottom