• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
OP
And?
My point still stands.
GPU prices at the moment are FAR FAR too high.
Because people are willing to pay it.

We all know these prices are far inflated for no reason.

Totally agree with this, GPU prices are crazy high right now. We're also paying high end money for mid range cards. I.e not full parts.

The milking is set to continue with Polaris and Maxwell, hoping there is a sweet spot card like the Nano, fully enabled but aimed for lower power consumption and less cost.

Caporegime
What a fugly cooler

Reminds me of something

2uh96b5.jpg

Good comparison. and yeah i don't like it at all, the current one is well designed, it looks good without needing to shout, its a difficult thing to pull off, it looks classy.

This one is far too busy, its trying too hard, like it was designed by a 14 year old, someone who thinks more is better so its ended up with far too many odd angles all over it, it looks really tacky.

Last edited:
Soldato
you can see the blue mat through the clear bit - so yeah its just the shroud

I'm undecided on whether to go aftermarket or use one of the core only blocks I have on a reference model

pricing will be the decider

single card cuts out the hassle factor for water and maxwell seemed to OC better on water on reference cards than any of the aftermarket cards anyway

and yeah, game support for SLI has been pretty shocking the last year or so with devs taking several months to add support (if at all)

I like the look of this new reference cooler a little. It's weird for sure, but might wait for customer cooled cards. I'm going EVGA and single card. SLI is a waste of money for the performance you get.

Soldato
I like the look of this new reference cooler a little. It's weird for sure, but might wait for customer cooled cards. I'm going EVGA and single card. SLI is a waste of money for the performance you get.

2 way yields on average a 95-99% boost from a single card. 3way and 4 way is where the wastage is. 3 way 20-30% from 2 way at most. 4way usually not much on top of that 5% if your lucky.

2 way for the majority of top end games is not a waste, when your pretty much getting double performance. The vast majority of games nowadays support SLI well.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 way yields on average a 95-99% boost from a single card. 3way and 4 way is where the wastage is. 3 way 20-30% from 2 way at most. 4way usually not much on top of that 5% if your lucky.

2 way for the majority of top end games is not a waste, when your pretty much getting double performance. The vast majority of games nowadays support SLI well.

I would say it is a waste. Out of about 10 of the latest games I have played it has been complete hit and miss and no where close to 70% let alone the 95% noted.

Not sure what your playing but SLI/X-fire seem to be pointless at moment with how drivers are from both. Am still wondering if I can hold of Pascal to get to Volta but that is another 2 years away.

Soldato

That was maybe true 2-3 years ago, but multi gpu support has been shockingly awful for anything released in the last 12 months

Man of Honour
That was maybe true 2-3 years ago, but multi gpu support has been shockingly awful for anything released in the last 12 months

Yeah :( my main system went 7950GX2->8000GT SLI->GTX260 SLI->GTX470 SLI but this time around its hard to make a case for buying a 2nd card.

Soldato
I would say it is a waste. Out of about 10 of the latest games I have played it has been complete hit and miss and no where close to 70% let alone the 95% noted.

Not sure what your playing but SLI/X-fire seem to be pointless at moment with how drivers are from both. Am still wondering if I can hold of Pascal to get to Volta but that is another 2 years away.

Well said guys.

Soldato
I couldnt run a single Ti happily put it that way. Not at the quality and hz i want.

There are some games in the past 12 months that are not fantastic true but for quite a few have been fine tbf.

Only issues ive had is fallout 4 which runs well now. But didnt back at release.

GTA V, rise of the tomb raider, divison, fallout 4, farcry primal, battlefront, witcher 3, mad max, dying light.

Thats a few in the past 12 months (apart from dying light few months out).

All run well at nearly double performance.

Associate
Couldn't care less what the cooler shroud looks like. If it's as loud as my Titan-X's were then I'll definitely not be buying a reference cooler.

In fact. Unless there's a huge jump in performance I'll probably skip this series all together.

Back
Top Bottom