• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
But the Ti denominator has only been used on the 780 Ti and 980 ti so not much historical data to go on. However, I'll be surprised too if the 1070 exceeds the performance of a 980ti - probably match it at a lower price point.

Soldato
I knew I should have clarified what I meant when I posted - I meant the top-end where a comparison is more easily done ,and a comparison we care about in the current part of the discussion :D

GeForce ti cards:

2 ti
3 ti 200
3 ti 500
4 ti4200
4 ti4400
4 ti4600
5xx 550ti
5xx 560ti
6xx 650ti
6xx 650ti boost
6xx 660ti
7xx 750ti
7xx 760ti
7xx 780ti
9xx 980ti

Soldato
OP
The urge for the highest end has gone, says a guy with a Nano and a Skylake and you want to get a new 1070 and Kaby lake the second they are out..... really?

Nano and Skylake i5 are cheap in terms of what I have spent. I have run X99 and Titan X, that's what I would consider highest end in terms of cost.

A GTX 1070 and Kaby Lake i5 I would consider a cheap upgrade. Everyone's circumstances are relevant to their own finances, not something someone else can really decide for you lol.

I won't comment on your circumstances, or assume to tell you what is cheap, like you did for me for example because it would be rude imho. Rather that for 'me' yes this would be cheap upgrade year.

bru

bru

Soldato
The Nano is the third tier card from AMD currently as the 1070 might be if the rumours of three GP104 chips are true. As for the Skylake i5 6500 that is number 10 out of 14 Skylake CPU's, of course not forgetting there is 3 more enthusiast CPU's above that.

Of course Boom you are quite right, what seems expensive to one might be cheap to another, spending on our hobbies is all down to what the individual deems it to be worth.

Take our beloved ex leader Spie, he spent god knows how much on top end Ferraris, Now I for one would never consider spending hundreds of thousands on a car, (not having a car licence helps that decision lol) but I wouldn't blink at spending a couple of grand on a bike. notice there is quite a difference between Spie's vehicle spending and mine, that is down to available income and personal preference. Not some universal this is expensive and that is cheap rule.

Soldato
The Nano is the third tier card from AMD currently as the 1070 might be if the rumours of three GP104 chips are true. As for the Skylake i5 6500 that is number 10 out of 14 Skylake CPU's, of course not forgetting there is 3 more enthusiast CPU's above that.

Of course Boom you are quite right, what seems expensive to one might be cheap to another, spending on our hobbies is all down to what the individual deems it to be worth.

Take our beloved ex leader Spie, he spent god knows how much on top end Ferraris, Now I for one would never consider spending hundreds of thousands on a car, (not having a car licence helps that decision lol) but I wouldn't blink at spending a couple of grand on a bike. notice there is quite a difference between Spie's vehicle spending and mine, that is down to available income and personal preference. Not some universal this is expensive and that is cheap rule.

But the main problem is if the GPUs starting getting pushed up a tier at a time,you will be not paying £150 for a midrange gaming card but £250 and then £350 for a £250 one and so on.

Then you will find more and more people just buying a console instead or not really having enough GPU grunt since that £250 card is not really that fast,and we will end up with more and more console ports running at a cinematic 30FPS LOL.

Sports cars like Ferraris don't affect the pricing of the normal cars like the Fiat Punto or even an Alfa Romeo which are all part of the same company.

What we need is BOTH AMD and Nvidia to either come up with another 9500 PRO or 8800GT. That will get a lot of people to upgrade and means devs can aim for a higher minimal level of hardware on PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the main problem is if the GPUs starting getting pushed up a tier at a time,you will be not paying £150 for a midrange gaming card but £250 and then £350 for a £250 one and so on.

Then you will find more and more people just buying a console instead or not really having enough GPU grunt since that £250 card is not really that fast,and we will end up with more and more console ports running at a cinematic 30FPS LOL.

Sports cars like Ferraris don't affect the pricing of the normal cars like the Fiat Punto or even an Alfa Romeo which are all part of the same company.

What we need is BOTH AMD and Nvidia to either come up with another 9500 PRO or 8800GT. That will get a lot of people to upgrade and means devs can aim for a higher minimal level of hardware on PC.

apparently the mid range GTX 970 @ £250 is acceptable - next up it will be £350 for the 1070....

Man of Honour
You can't possibly think that 1070 will match 980ti. There is no way NVidia would do that. Maybe it will match 980. But thats all you can get.

Not sure why people keep thinking this - its more common for the next generation x70 type card to match or beat the previous generation high end card than it is for it to be slower.

Man of Honour
again the GTX 970 was slower than the GTX 780Ti at launch

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/11.html

TPU launch day review....

Hence why I said more common not the rule:

GTX770 was basically rebadged GTX680 (some slight differences and a clockspeed boost IIRC).

GTX670 was convincingly faster than the GTX580 and even the 660 and 660ti usually matched or beat the GTX580 in more cases than lost to it.

GTX570 matched the GTX480 and even the 560TI was close on it.

GTX470 walked all over the GTX285 and the GTX460 variants matched or beat it.

GTX275 was a bit of an anomaly.

GTX260 (which was effectively the X70 of that line up) was often close to twice the performance of the 9800GTX(+) models.

nVidia has no problem putting out a upper mid-range card that renders their previous generation high end card obsolete.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom