• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Even funnier fact: Async compute is not part of DX12, only compute and graphics queues are, which all Nvidia cards back to the Fermi support.

Best performance form Nvidia's compute queues comes from large work batches. GCN can handle smaller batch sizes better, but at the cost of increased overhead.

Don't buy into the AMD Pr machine. async compute is a an AMD marketing spin to solve a problem that Nvidia doesn't suffer from to the same extent. GCN has a terrible time exploiting all the CUs, Nvidia's architecture is much better at reaching closer to theoretical performance.

supports on one giga thread, not multiple workloads at the same time, and need one to finish to start the other not simultaneous.
it's not just PR, you have the results of DX12 games, GCN cards are getting more efficient with their CUs, Async is going to be a major feature of VR games once PSVR launchs.
ok question do you think Nvidia will have ACE on pascal ? or stick to their giga thread ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
supports on one giga thread, not multiple workloads at the same time, and need one to finish to start the other not simultaneous.
it's not just PR, you have the results of DX12 games, GCN cards are getting more efficient with their CUs, Async is going to be a major feature of VR games once PSVR launchs.
ok question do you think Nvidia will have async on pascal ? or stick to their giga thread ?

Nvidia have Async on Maxwell, I don;t see why they would drop it in pascal. They will likely do some work in reducing context switch costs.

Associate
I hope it dosnt take to long for water blocks to come out and hope the 1080 isn't over 500 as it's normally 100 quid for a block so not a cheap upgrade from a 780

Soldato
Async is going to be a major feature of VR games once PSVR launchs.
I dont see what PSVR has to do with anything.

If you're talking about asynchronous timewarp(ATW), it's already implemented with the Oculus Rift SDK1.3. Despite the fearmongering about it potentially 'being disasterous' with Nvidia hardware, it works *just fine*.

OcUK Staff
Think I'll stick the TX on ebay for £890 as they're selling for that with the hybrid cooler.

1080 should do nicely when nVidia focus driver development on Pascal only :D

You will sell it easily, we are shifting them at £1100 now and demand is still superb for them. Worth more now than they were at launch. :)

Associate
I dont see what PSVR has to do with anything.

If you're talking about asynchronous timewarp(ATW), it's already implemented with the Oculus Rift SDK1.3. Despite the fearmongering about it potentially 'being disasterous' with Nvidia hardware, it works *just fine*.

it doesnt work just fine, it barely works with strict guide lines to dev when working on Nvidia hardware, mostly because of preemption, can't really complain, these compute and shceduling parts they striped from maxwell allowed them to reach the power efficiency they have today.
that doesnt mean maxwell is a model of what a gpu should be, and with AMD having the console market, Nvidia cannot really stray too far away, because that would make it harder for them on the driver side during ports.

Soldato
it doesnt work just fine, it barely works with strict guide lines to dev when working on Nvidia hardware, mostly because of preemption, can't really complain, these compute and shceduling parts they striped from maxwell allowed them to reach the power efficiency they have today.
It works more than 'just fine', actually. ATW works *brilliantly* on AMD or Nvidia. Ask anybody who has tried their Rift with the 1.3 SDK. It is apparently quite the game changer.

Associate
Sadly this is more and more commonplace. Several people in this thread want to see fail from NVidia, where I would hope that any sane person would want to see both AMD and NVidia having beast cards. I don't understand the mentality of people like Flopper and Muzigaz.

Sitting at my computer today, if the 1080 is 20% faster than a 980Ti and comes with 8GB of GDDR5 (hell, even if it is 256 bit) and costs £420, I will be seriously thinking of grabbing one. The same for Polaris and will be considering that also. I don't really want to jump early and would rather hold out for the big cards but hell, I cleared well over £400 in OT last month, so what the hell :D

oh, wow, when you or any other member are posting tongue in cheek comments about AMD it is ok, but when I post a single comment a month with clear tongue in cheek message I get compared to kind of flopper who is clearly delirious or just trolling.
You all need to calm down, get yourself ready for tomorrow and wait for your cards. Of all people, you lot shouldn't talk about ones desire to see certain companies to fail. I of all people want 50/50 market in GPU and CPU sector. Going by past comments from most of you here it seems majority of you here have clear desire that AMD go bankrupt.
We already can see what Intel is doing without AMDs competition. Look at Broadwell-E, what a complete joke that is becoming.
So stop your sulking that someone once a month writes something tongue in cheek about market financial leader.

Back
Top Bottom