• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
After the initial hype it looks like the 1080 will be about 30-40% faster than a stock 980Ti which is to be expected due to the clock speed boost. Effectively it will be similar to an overclocked 980ti if the leaked benchmark is to be believed.

We all know the Polaris 10 was demoed running Hitman at 60 fps @ 1440P which even the TitanX barely achieves so we may well get amazing performance at a sub-£300 price point for Polaris since we know AMD is aiming for the mass market segments. If 1070 is supposed to have TitanX level performance then surely the Polaris 10 could have too if the Hitman demo was legit.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

Last edited:
Caporegime
nothing wrong with peasant soup!
i was brought up on peasant soup!!! :)

Sometimes buying the cheapest is false economy ;)

If nV's £300 card is >2x AMD's £150 card, that peasant soup is going to taste of disappointment and salty tears :p

I say more in hope than expectation: come on AMD, prove us all wrong. Please.

Associate
Yar it's just that the prices have increased so much, that the 1080 (mid-range) is now the same price as the Ti of last gen. Even the 1070 has had a price rise, and the first cards will be sold at 980 prices.

So whilst we all know they're mid-range, the pricing is definitely in enthusiast territory for now, and probably for a while until they start shipping in volume.

Milking is a fair comment.

:D damn mid range cards.. We can't be having 1070's out doing our £600 980 ti's

Associate
I'll be picking up a 1080 I reckon to replace my 980. I've had to knock quite a few things down on Rise of the Tomb Raider @ 1440p :)

Going from the previous generation how long was the 980 Ti released from the 980?

Caporegime
Those ratings are often measured at the base clock speed. The titan x often clocks up by 40 - 50% depending on how decent the die is. So that takes the theoretical max up to ~8-9 Tflops.

Well I know this site is called overclockers but we have to be comparing apples to apples ( stock to stock) until we know what the headroom is on the 1080.

Although even that looks like it might be decent what with them showing an "on-stage demo of the GTX 1080 running at 2.1 GHz air cooled, with a temperature of less than 70°C". Considering the stock boost clock is 1733mhz.

Soldato
600 quid for 25%!!!!!

Going the way of Intel. Before long it'll be £900 for an uplift only measurable with a benchmark having a non-existent margin of error.

Soldato
I always assumed that you take US RRP, convert to GBP and add 20% for VAT.

Based on that, 1080 will be almost bang on £500, and 1070 around £315.

I'm also wondering about GDDR5X supply, which will push up 1080 launch prices if there's a shortage initially (looks like 1070 is standard GDDR5).

Based on the above there's no way i'll be getting a 1080 short of an unexpected windfall.

Caporegime
Could you show me where it's confirmed to be £600?

The "founders edition" is. It is still unclear whether this will be only edition available on release and also what it actually is (like whether you get a little figurine of the NVidia bloke and an NVidia bumper sticker etc). The actual price for normal cards is $599 dollars so probably nearly £500.

Associate
25% faster than a Titan X would be around GTX980TI Matrix level performance

Obviously, they are not comparing GTX 1080 to some super overclocked EVGAs or MSIs 980 versions, it's all about the original editions. What Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS or EVGA will do with the card is their problem. They might just release a new superclocked 1080 version with two/three fans and 2000Mhz clock speed out of box. You should compare the original 980 to this 1080 to see the real difference between them both. For that reason, 980 Ti and TitanX is a lot slower than the 1080, but if you compare their other editions from those third part countries, then of course the gap in performance becomes less noticeable. The thing is that the CEO haven't mentioned anything about a 4K performance, which means that it's still as great as we would like to see. The whole presentation was about how pascal is able to maintain the frame rate, would it be a fight seen, explosions or just some simple walking scenes, which is probably the main reason to get the pascal over maxwell.

Associate
I'm super confused. Certain people have been tediously banging on for months now about NV being up to six months behind AMD and that it would be impossible for them to launch not only before AMD, but anywhere around this time.

I'm shocked that once again they were full of hot air and bluster.

Caporegime
I'm super confused. Certain people have been tediously banging on for months now about NV being up to six months behind AMD and that it would be impossible for them to launch not only before AMD, but anywhere around this time.

I'm shocked that once again they were full of hot air and bluster.

You're only going to get a long post from DM explaining that isn't what he said etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom