• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
one question I had; since the 1080 has a TDP of 180w and only 1x 6 pin power, what sort-of PSU size would you think 1080 in SLI?

It has 1 X 8-pin connector. Of course it depends on other components but typically any decent 750w or more PSU will handle it in SLI comfortably.

Soldato
So what happens if you downclock the 1080 to a 980ti, say 1450mhz on each card.

But that's irrelevant really? The new card can clock higher than the 980Ti can and is designed for higher Mhz clock speed. That's like comparing a 14000rpm race car engine with it's road going 7000rpm equivelant, running both at 7000rpm - the race car may actually have less power and will definately have crap drivability. Crap analogy probably but....well the new card could do with a few more cores though I suppose :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going for the 1070, TX performance and more at £300 is not to be sniffed at.

980ti and tx owners might have left it to late to sell on and get decent returns as resale value just hit the deck.

Soldato
600 quid for 25%!!!!!

Going the way of Intel. Before long it'll be £900 for an uplift only measurable with a benchmark having a non-existent margin of error.
You realize not everybody in the world owns a 980Ti right?

200 for a 980 Ti ?

cough cough

You haven't got a clue:p
£300 would about the upper limit come 4 weeks from now. Some people will pay more because of the prestige, but they wont get decent value.

1070 will come out-the-gate with similar performance, more vRAM and with driver maturity will likely gain another 10-15% on the 980Ti.

Soldato
What caught my eye near the end was this.. DisplayPort 1.4 support already! It Just barely got released!

I thought AMD and NV would be going to 1.3 first, but NV jumped the gun.

JlNc1pN.jpg

Soldato
'Founder's edition' seems like a fancy name for 'same old reference'. In the past people paid LESS for reference designs, now they're expected to pay more. I assume the chips are binned but so will the overclocked versions of AIBs. And of course the $100 extra is the price of a waterblock for this cards!

Associate
It has 1 X 8-pin connector. Of course it depends on other components but typically any decent 750w or more PSU will handle it in SLI comfortably.
Wicked! I was hoping that would be the case. I have a Seasonic 760w platinum - which I was told wasnt big enough for 980ti in SLI. However if I could run two 1080 in SLI, that would save me getting a new PSU.

Soldato
What caught my eye near the end was this.. DisplayPort 1.4 support already! It Just barely got released!

I thought AMD and NV would be going to 1.3 first, but NV jumped the gun.

JlNc1pN.jpg
Good stuff. Pointless for the time being but good stuff.

'Founder's edition' seems like a fancy name for 'same old reference'. In the past people paid LESS for reference designs, now they're expected to pay more. I assume the chips are binned but so will the overclocked versions of AIBs. And of course the $100 extra is the price of a waterblock for this cards!
I think what you're largely paying for here is early access.

Man of Honour
But that's irrelevant really? The new card can clock higher than the 980Ti can and is designed for higher Mhz clock speed. That's like comparing a 14000rpm race car engine with it's road going 7000rpm equivelant, running both at 7000rpm - the race car may actually have less power and will definately have crap drivability. Crap analogy probably but....well the new card could do with a few more cores though I suppose :D

I think there is a certain amount of optimisation and adding back in compute features that won't really be seen with current games but provide more of a benefit with future DX12, etc. games where the lead over the 980ti will probably be larger than in older stuff.

Soldato
My summary:

980 ref cards are now paperweights
As expected we get a really big increase in perf and a drop in heat output
1080 not more expensive than 980
Those running 980ti customs with multi monitor probably best off waiting unless you running sff builds

Ball in amd court.

Soldato
DP 1.4 = great!

Will be interesting to see what happens with these new cards and adaptive/free sync monitors now.

I'll be keeping my eye on a 120+Hz HDR 1440p IPS/VA monitor. It should be fantastic, although I expect pricing will be that old first and 2nd gen IPS panels. A good one easily at £1000+

Back
Top Bottom