• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
If it lets you get out to market that bit faster by subsidising earlier production, it is a good move by NV.

But also should get a higher clocking card, if that's your thing. I don't find the $80 for that extortionate or much of an earlier adopter tax either, think it's a fair price. It doesnt mean non FE cards won't clock higher either as some are saying. Maybe like the 980ti, they'll all have a decent clocking overhead, just that the FE cards will more likely clock better.

Think it's a great move myself.

Asking myself another question, will they do a 1090 this time around just as the did on the last node change ?

Last edited:
Soldato
But again, those benchmarks from two days ago seem to be real and like I said before, its real performance is about 40% better than a single GTX 980Ti, probably about 25% faster than TitanX. It was strange when he hasn't even mentioned the 980Ti though.
However, based on the information on their website, it's easy to see that in real terms it's not the double performance of GTX 980, I'd say about 70-80%. That's still impressive and well worth the price tag.
Untitled.png

25% faster than a Titan X would be around GTX980TI Matrix level performance:

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

According to TPU that makes it around 50% to 55% faster on average than a GTX980.

Those are prices for the founders edition. $599 and $379 will translate to around £500 and £320 in uk prices after VAT for the normal cards.

Also, the 1070 still has more Tflops than the 980Ti and it Is supposed to be faster than a titan x so you are going to be getting ~980Ti performance (maybe a bit more) for around £320

But for how long are the Founders Edition going to be the only available edition??

The GTX1070 is £375 for the time-being. Can you get the cheaper GTX1070 next month??

Plus if a GTX1080 is 25% faster than a GTX1070 with GDDR5X and has 40% more flops than a GTX1070 with a GDDR5,how does make it near a GTX980TI??

It would make the GTX1070 between a GTX980 and a GTX980TI or around Fury level or a tad faster.

Edit!!

If it were GTX980TI level,then still it is £375 which is more expensive than what we thought,but still better value than a GTX980TI by far.

Last edited:
Soldato
i should think they might all use different blocks
gddr5
gddr5x
hbm2

not saying you cant >.<;

Most likely. I'm hoping the 980Ti blocks may fit the new 1080, but doubt it to be honest. HBM2 will very likely require new blocks though.

1080 at less than £450 is a good price though. I can see them at £430 within a week of release.

The true performance jump over my 980Ti's will be the decider. Anything under 20% no thanks. A decent 30-40% then yes. They will keep me happy another year until the Ti version.

Associate
lol at all the people saying:

"You wont get 980ti performance for ~£300"

"The 1080 won't be faster than the 980Ti"

"Don't be stupid, no cards will have gddr5x until at least August/September"

:p

Hahahaha. Exactly! So many people act like they know what's what on this forum. Too funny :D

Soldato
Wasn't the "2x Titan X performance" just in certain VR scenarios?

I will wait until we have reviews and benchmarks of proper current games and a definite price before I get my knickers in a twist thanks.

Caporegime
25% faster than a Titan X would be around GTX980TI Matrix level performance:

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

According to TPU that makes it around 50% to 55% faster on average than a GTX980.

But for how long are the Founders Edition going to be the only available edition??

The GTX1070 is £375 for the time-being. Can you get the cheaper GTX1070 next month??

Plus if a GTX1080 is 25% faster than a GTX1070 with GDDR5X and has 40% more flops than a GTX1070 with a GDDR5,how does make it near a GTX980TI??

It would make the GTX1070 between a GTX980 and a GTX980TI or around Fury level or a tad faster.

Edit!!

If it were GTX980TI level,then still it is £375 which is more expensive than what we thought,but still better value than a GTX980TI by far.

It isn't though. I don't even know what the "founders edition" is, but I presume just some stupid special edition for odd die hard Nvidia fans. Have they specifically said the non founders edition cards are coming loads later?

The actual price for the 1070 is $379 which will be just over £300 here in the UK and it is specifically mentioned as faster than the Titan X and the 1070 is supposed to push 6.5 TFLOPS which is more than the 980 Ti and Titan X.

Soldato
Hahahaha. Exactly! So many people act like they know what's what on this forum. Too funny :D

But it isn't £300 - its £375 at launch. Unless the GTX1080 with GDDR5X is proven to be 40% faster than a reference GTX980TI,then I really don't know how the GTX1070 with slower GDDR5 is going to match a GTX980TI.

It might for all I would know and it would be great - people just need to modify their expectations. Better to be suprised than underwhelmed!!

It isn't though. I don't even know what the "founders edition" but I presume just some stupid special edition for odd die hard Nvidia fans.

The actual price for the 1070 is $379 which will be just over £300 here in the UK and it is specifically mentioned as faster than the Titan X and the 1070 is supposed to push 6.5 TFLOPS which is more than the 980 Ti and Titan X.

It is though - can you buy a GTX1070 on launch next month for £300?? Yes or No??

Tell me how long before you can buy the £315 GTX1070 cards are available??

Two weeks afterwards?? A month?? Two months??

Plus if AT and other websites say the GTX1080 is 20% to 30% faster than a GTX980TI,then please tell me how a GTX1070(which the GTX1080 surpasses in pure TFLOPs level by 40%) is suddenly GTX980TI level??

Have you not noticed EVERY site has stated 20% to 30% faster - not 50% to 60% faster than a GTX980TI/Titan X,which the TFLOP ratings should indicate is the case??

Last edited:
Soldato
That is sounding a hair's breadth away from a paper launch. People better make sure their F5 key is up to the task!

Indeed. But maybe the people saying GDDR5X wasn't ready for volume until at least August were right? A reference only launch where the reference model costs $100 extra might just do the trick to ensure that whatever GDDR5X supply they have won't cause a shortage.

Soldato
Actually, while the frequencies are very impressive, what do you get when you calculate the per shader speeds:

First for TFLOPs:
9 TFLOPs / GTX1080 / 1607MHz (core) / 2560 shaders * 1125MHz (GTX980 core speed) * 2048 (GTX980 shaders)
= 5.04TFLOPs (i.e. the actual GTX 980 speed).

Now % of shaders and frequency:
2560 shaders / 2048 shaders = 125%
1607MHz / 1125MHz = 143%
125% * 143% = 178%.

Which is about where the claimed performance is. Impressive for sure, but only because of the frequency. Per shader performance doesn't seem to have changed; looks like all the gains are due to the node process.

Anyway, actual reviews will be far more interesting than canned PR statements. Not long now I guess.

Caporegime
But it isn't £300 - its £375 at launch. Unless the GTX1080 with GDDR5X is proven to be 40% faster than a reference GTX980TI,then I really don't know how the GTX1070 with slower GDDR5 is going to match a GTX980TI.

It might for all I would know and it would be great - people just need to modify their expectations. Better to be suprised than underwhelmed!!

Have they specifically said that only the founders editions will be available on the launch dates?

"we’re launching the NVIDIA GTX 1070 as well, with the “Founders Edition,” available June 10 for $449, and custom boards from partners expected to start at $379."

That could be interpreted in two ways.

Caporegime

Well in fairness who exactly said the 1080 wouldn't be faster than the 980ti? I too can pull things out of my bottom. "All those people who said the 1080 wouldn't be as fast as a Voodoo 2, where are they now? Hahahaha! Fools!"

Also the 1070 perf isn't known, so it's premature to start crowing about it matching a 980ti just yet. And current 1070 price is waaaay over £300.

As yet, nobody is proven wrong and nobody is vindicated.

Caporegime
Well in fairness who exactly said the 1080 wouldn't be faster than the 980ti? I too can pull things out of my bottom. "All those people who said the 1080 wouldn't be as fast as a Voodoo 2, where are they now? Hahahaha! Fools!"

Also the 1070 perf isn't known, so it's premature to start crowing about it matching a 980ti just yet. And current 1070 price is waaaay over £300.

As yet, nobody is proven wrong and nobody is vindicated.

Caporegime
Seriously tho, who said a 1080 would be slower than a 980ti? Who? I remember there was one rumour that said it (wccf?) and we discussed it for a bit, but most of us before that were saying 980ti +20% or that kind of ballpark.

I personally said the 1070 would be between a 980 and 980ti, and I'm not convinced it'll be faster, but the 1080 was always going to be faster.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have they specifically said that only the founders editions will be available on the launch dates?

"we’re launching the NVIDIA GTX 1070 as well, with the “Founders Edition,” available June 10 for $449, and custom boards from partners expected to start at $379."

Good point but this is what AT said themselves:

For pricing and availability, NVIDIA has announced that the card will be available on May 27th. There will be two versions of the card, the base/MSRP card at $599, and then a more expensive Founders Edition card at $699. At the base level this is a slight price increase over the GTX 980, which launched at $549. Information on the differences between these versions is limited, but based on NVIDIA’s press release it would appear that only the Founders Edition card will ship with NVIDIA’s full reference design, cooler and all. Meanwhile the base cards will feature custom designs from NVIDIA’s partners. NVIDIA’s press release was also very careful to only attach the May 27th launch date to the Founders Edition cards.

Now,if the cheaper ones are also coming at the same time,I would be happy to be proved wrong!!

:)

Mei

Mei

Soldato

who would pay $100 extra for that stock cooler if it wasnt the only option?
founders normally means first too, a word just to put a bit of glamour to it
my guess is a few weeks to a month then everyone else can sell them? *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom