• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
With only a paltry few % over a Ti you won't be able to drive 4K120 yet anyway.

And good luck with SLI, LOL.

Also, nobody seems to be factoring in shortages and gouging to the pricing. They may only have 1000 units for launch and you might have to wait 3 months for more stock.

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
AMD will get away with this one. 4k/120fps or 4k HDR monitors are probably at least a year away. And Polaris will hardly be the type of card to power those sorts of targets anyway.

I would think that they'd want to go 1.4 for Vega, though.

they could do 4k 120hz right now the panels are about to do it
hdr im not so sure about, that topic confuses the hell out of me, on tv's dolby looks the best, not seen a single hdr monitor be announced

Soldato
hdr im not so sure about, that topic confuses the hell out of me, on tv's dolby looks the best, not seen a single hdr monitor be announced

AMD have been working with monitor manufacturers around HDR monitors so we should start seeing 10-12bit HDR Quantum Dot LCD's in 2H.

Soldato
May 27th is the founder's edition only. AIB "to come at some point". The founder's is the ref.

So it is £600 RRP and god knows what with gouging+shortages.

Caporegime
May 27th is the founder's edition only. AIB "to come at some point". The founder's is the ref.

So it is £600 RRP and god knows what with gouging+shortages.

I don't think anyone really knows. The way it is officially worded could be interpreted in two ways.

Although Nvidia better have a gap as no one is going to buy a reference one for $100 more than an AIB cooled one.

Associate
So who are these new cards aimed at?

If you want 1080p/1440p performance then a 980Ti comfortably nets you 60fps+ at either resolution. If Nvidia started dropping 980Ti prices for the slightly more powerful 1080, wouldn't common sense be to get the Ti instead? Nvidia aren't stupid, they lower the prices and the 1080 loses out in sales.

A 980Ti starts to show its limitations when gaming at 4K/60fps with all the bells and whistles in the more demanding titles. A Titan X has those same limitations, so that instantly makes a GTX 1070 nothing more than a more power efficient card to compete at 1080p/1440p. Not exactly 'next gen'.

I think anyone who's using a 970 or below at the moment would probably find the 1070 a good upgrade path if they want to game flawlessly at 1440p/60fps for the next couple years.

Anyone on a 980 or above should wait for the 1080Ti if they want to go 4K, the Ti version should be the real killer at 4K res and it also allows the 4K monitor market to catch up with the newer ports.

Soldato
Polaris 10 doesn't look like a higher end card at all, though. Anybody buying a 4k/120hz monitor is going to want a truly powerful PC to run it.

Soldato
Having skim read ive missed a lot of info can someone educate me please.

I have a 970 and looking to upgrade is it time to move that on and buy one of these ? has there been an official release date ? and which one is the better jump from what i currently have, my 970 is in a mini itx so the new card needs to be the same size or smaller than the 970

ITX user here also.

I see no reason why the GTX1070 couldn't be put into a smaller card like the DirectCU Mini was, but it'll depend on the AIB partners and I certainly wouldn't expect it at launch, it'll come a bit later.

Soldato
So what's the consensus on what the $599 for the 1080 will translate to in £? We'll probably get stiffed with £550 I'm guessing!?!

Back
Top Bottom