• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
If the rumours are true then I'm kind of regretting getting the 980 Ti I got a few days ago even though we have roughly 8 months to go :p

Your card will last you a lot longer yet price will be an issue when pascal cards first hit the market and will probably be in short supply. so I would say add
on 10 more months unless you have a fat wad :)

Associate
I just hope we still get big cards like the Classified, Lightning etc...Yes smaller cards with this new node will offer better performance but the size of the cards like the Lightning, Classified, HOF etc...look awesome and small things like the Fury X while good cards just don't hold the same "Ooooh I love the looks" for me personally.

I'd like to think we will as AMD don't let anyone modify the PCB of the Fury X, so no really long cards like the Windforce and Strix - and it's an AIO style cooler so no need for the massive heatpipes/fins, like the Lightning or Super Jetstream.

Personally a fan of the really long cards, 2.5 slot cards don't really do it for me :p

Associate
I do wonder what their release schedule is going to be like.

I want the Titan! And sadly I think I'll end up paying the massive price tag it will carry.

Soldato
I do wonder what their release schedule is going to be like.

I want the Titan! And sadly I think I'll end up paying the massive price tag it will carry.

I went for the Titan the last two times. On last one got burned with the 980Ti coming out right after. Think I'll sit this one out. I won't pay that much for a GPU again. A X 80 or X 80ti will do me on pascal

Last edited:
Associate
I went for the Titan the last two times. On last one got burned with the 980Ti coming out right after. Think I'll sit this one out. I won't pay that much for a GPU again. A X 80 or X 80ti will do me on pascal

I think most have learnt the same lesson and will opt for the ti over the flagship card with pascal, that's why I have a feeling they will release the big pascal first with the mid ranges filling in next leaving a big gap for the ti version, so the impatient ones will end up forking out for the top card

Associate
What do you mean about gsync not working at 144hz?
The newer gsync monitors are starting to come with an extra HDMI as well :D

I heard something about issues at 144Hz with G-sync enabled, might have been an isolated case. And I'm glad for the latter, about time for the perfect monitor to be born. Let's just hope the perfect monitor also doesn't hurt the wallet, especially since I can't save up jack right now without a job.

£250

But £300 would still be good if it outperforms a 980Ti.

+1 Appropriate pricing would be nice, but it's Nvidia and AMD hasn't done much to shake them up enough to scare them into lowering prices.

Having they been bigging up Pascal to be 10x faster? Although that was for CUDA iirc.

The actual gaming performance was supposed to be 2x.

So if the 1070 is roughly on par with a 980, that would be pretty poor. Because if Pascal is 2x Maxwell in gaming, then a 1060 ought to be able to match a 980, no?

That's what I've been getting at. The 970 performs similarly to the 780ti on the same size process, so why shouldn't a die shrink 1070 perform like a current 980ti? Plus as many folks have stated, NV have been bigging up Pascal, so not having double performance would lead to much disappointment after they've been raising our expectations.

Yeah I would expect the X70 '970', '£300' level card to compete with the 980 Ti especially when overclocked. and the X80 / X80 Ti (980 and 980 Ti replacements) to offer much higher levels of performance than their predecessors.

We have die shrink, new architecture or at least revised architecture and HBM 2.0. This will be a nice jump in performance for sure. A much needed shakeup.

Exactly, and by that regard, if the 1080ti is double the 980ti, like the 980ti was double the 780ti, then that's the card to really get excited for. Double 980ti performance? Everyone will be DSR 1527p (no monitors at that resolution) with a 1080ti. Maybe a couple could do some decent 4k at 60fps even?

Ha, I have the opposite problem so it can wait a while. Give me time to save some pennies, although I will sell my 980 Ti to fund the next card as well.

Financially March/April time would be perfect, some time to recover from Xmas lol.

Same here. Not being able to get a job (gah this economy!) has left me broke. I opted not to buy someone a 960 for their birthday (I really wanted to :c), as I simply couldn't afford it. If the release schedule is anything like previous chips, the 1080ti will be the last to be released and it'll probably be out several months after the first Pascals pop up. Probably with a Titan Pascal in that gap to tempt the impatient. The good old 970 is doing just great until then.

Soldato
OP
Same here. Not being able to get a job (gah this economy!) has left me broke. I opted not to buy someone a 960 for their birthday (I really wanted to :c), as I simply couldn't afford it. If the release schedule is anything like previous chips, the 1080ti will be the last to be released and it'll probably be out several months after the first Pascals pop up. Probably with a Titan Pascal in that gap to tempt the impatient. The good old 970 is doing just great until then.

Yeah March / April time will give me time to put some money aside and then should get a chunk in re sale for my 980 Ti towards my next card.

The 970 is an awesome card performance VS price, I would have bought one for my current build if it wasn't for the memory issue, just can't get my head around that slower chunk lol.

The 970 / 980 Ti offer best performance in their performance tiers / Price out of Nvidia's current stack imho. The 980 is priced to close to the much faster 980 Ti, and the 950 / 960 cards really are budget gaming cards can't cope @ 1440P etc. So for me 980 Ti was best choice. Would def consider the next 970 replacement on the next round of cards but have a feeling a Titan Pascal card or Ti card will be to tempting for me :p I need to save a lot between now and then lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 570 GTX is flagging so damn hard. Can't really play a lot of new games anymore unless I put them on potato graphics.

Just don't see the point in upgrading now when I also want to play Star Citizen and current tech probably won't max it at 1440p anyway.

Pascal needs to happen now :(. Even if it can't max Star Citizen, it should at least come closer since I won't be upgrading for another 5 years again anyway.

Soldato
My 570 GTX is flagging so damn hard. Can't really play a lot of new games anymore unless I put them on potato graphics.

Just don't see the point in upgrading now when I also want to play Star Citizen and current tech probably won't max it at 1440p anyway.

Pascal needs to happen now :(. Even if it can't max Star Citizen, it should at least come closer since I won't be upgrading for another 5 years again anyway.

With the 980 Ti only launching a few months ago we have a bit of a wait yet for the "Ti" and below variants to come out I reckon, I'm guessing around 8 months for the non Titan cards and around 5-6 months for the next Titan.

Associate
I remember reading a while ago that the entire lineup wouldn't have HBM2, too.

At the end of the day I'd rather have GDDR5X over GDDR5, an improvement's an improvement either way really.

Man of Honour
I would rather have GDDR5X on the high end Pascal cards.

HBM has been less than impressive.

8 Pack overclocked the memory on a HBM card by more than 100% to get the best out of it. Or putting it another way the clockspeed of HBM1 in normal use is way too low.

Could this be the reason for poor low res performance on the Fiji cards ?

Associate
HBM uses less power than GDDR5, but for low/middle range cards it will be too expensive and unnecessary, the top end will benefit nicely however because of lower power usage, so more cores can be put onto GPU.

Soldato

8 Pack overclocked the memory on a HBM card by more than 100% to get the best out of it. Or putting it another way the clockspeed of HBM1 in normal use is way too low.

When you refer to HBM being poor, ain't the biggest issue with the Fiji cards at the moment is that the low ROPs count (of which is fundamentally a Hawaii architecture) that's bottleneck them even at stock speed, and simply not getting the benefit?

The GDDR5X while looks good for may be 1080 or possibly 1440 res, the 256-bit bus size would mean it wouldn't really be for 4K, so it sort of make sense to have them instead of HBM for the lower-end cards.

But yes it is great to have the options to choose from.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Not sure why anyone would want GDDR5X over HBM2 which will be a lot better than HBM1. GDDR5X will make sense for their mid range stuff.

When you refer to HBM being poor, ain't the biggest issue with the Fiji cards at the moment is that the low ROPs count (of which is fundamentally a Hawaii architecture) is bottleneck them even at stock speed, and simply not getting the benefit?

This makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Man of Honour
When you refer to HBM being poor, ain't the biggest issue with the Fiji cards at the moment is that the low ROPs count (of which is fundamentally a Hawaii architecture) that's bottleneck them even at stock speed, and simply not getting the benefit?

The GDDR5X while looks good for may be 1080 or possibly 1440 res, the 256-bit bus size would mean it wouldn't really be for 4K, so it sort of make sense to have them instead of HBM for the lower-end cards.

But yes it is great to have the options to choose from.

8 Pack blew the low ROPs count theory out of the water when he benched a Fiji card with the memory running over 1000mhz and getting good gains from doing it. This highlights the fact that HBM1 running @500mhz is way too slow.

Back
Top Bottom