• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Did they get tapeout before or after the move? If before wouldn't they have to then do it again, possibly?

It could be they moved before the tapeout and that's why they were so cagey about commenting on foundry. Numbers I have seen thrown around for a finfet tapeout are $150m (without masks which are another huge expense) so redoing it on another process would be incredibly wasteful.

The problem is the company who owns GF also is a major shareholder in AMD and has people on the board. That is why AMD keeps getting bogged down in these awful supply agreements with GF.

Man of Honour
That's the problem with these forums tbh, way to many die hard Nvidia Fans that focus on all possible negatives from AMD and once they are proven wrong, like with the 4gb of HBM not being enough for 4k they stop commenting on it totally and move to the next point of speculation and then the next and the next.

AMD were the ones who started the whole 4GB isn't enough for 4K (which I think he was partly alluding to) when the 8GB 290 cards were in the pipeline.

Soldato
AMD were the ones who started the whole 4GB isn't enough for 4K (which I think he was partly alluding to) when the 8GB 290 cards were in the pipeline.

Yeah, but that was a totally different memory type with different capabilities. Some were saying it was point blankly not enough, we know differently now.

Soldato
I would still say that 4GB wont be enough for 4k if you plan on keeping your card for more than a year or two. If you upgrade every year or so, it should be ok, because it's not super important *right now*. But we know damn well that vRAM requirements grow in games over time. For one, consoles can take advantage of 5GB+ of graphics memory. Yes, it may be GDDR5 or even DDR3, but for games that don't take specific advantage of PC's specific memory advantages(which will no doubt happen plenty), this matters. Secondly, we still saw growing memory requirements even in the later stages of last-gen console's lifetimes. Simply because devs could take advantage of higher resolutions, better textures, better shadows, and much better draw distances and level of detail.

Soldato
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-n...ked-memory-1-tbs-bandwidth-powering-hpc-2016/

Pascal GPU expect to launch at next GTC in April 2016, consumer Pascal GPU will have up to 16GB HBM2 while professional HPC Pascal GPU will have up to 32GB HBM2. Professional Pascal will use Mezzanine PCB with NVLink support for HPC but consumer Pascal will stick with PCI Express PCB that has no NVLink support for desktop.

Here is pic of updated Pascal Mezzanine board:

xLCX7pD.jpg

New updated design have some changes that looked very similar to Fuji compared to prototype Pascal board below:

kGBMIt3.jpg

Professional Pascal on Mezzanine board are incredible stunning very tiny card, we have to wait and see PCI Express version leaked in Q1 2016 like it did with Titan X leaked in Q1 2015 yet to see if it will be slight bigger than Mezzanine board.

Hopefully PCI Express 4.0 will be last and some sort of Mezzanine design will replace PCI Express one day.

bru

bru

Soldato
Little new info, but good all the same.

And you have to love this sort of thing.

NVIDIA Pascal GPU Spotted at GTC Taiwan 2015

pascal.jpg

Oh look there it is, I've managed to take a peek at something nobody else has seen. Err no it wasn't spotted, it was put up on the huge screens on stage for everyone to see. :)

Caporegime
The '1080' will be out but be around £600 anyway (with the Big Daddy/Ti to follow end of 2016/beginning of 2017) so for me the current Ti is still decent value.

Soldato
So going by past launches we should expect the first Pascal around April and the "Ti" version around June.
Cant go by past launches. Everybody's waiting on HBM2. And two months gap only happened with Maxwell. With Kepler it was 9 months from Titan->780Ti.

They dont just copy past strategies. They have to adapt to their current situations. People get way too hung up on what happened last time and assume it's going to be just like that again and that often isn't the case.

The '1080' will be out but be around £600 anyway (with the Big Daddy/Ti to follow end of 2016/beginning of 2017) so for me the current Ti is still decent value.
It's possible they release their big die first.

Last edited:
Associate
What do you think about naming?

Titan should go away, they used up the cool letters.
1080 is not going to happen either, doesn't sound powerful (ten-eighty); just like when they went from 980 to 280 (100 series was hidden in as OEM units).

Back
Top Bottom