• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Definitely go for a 1070 over a 980Ti. You KNOW it's a matter of time before Nvidia gimp the Maxwell drivers and your 980Ti will be way worse than the 1070. Sad but True.
You mean they'll improve the GP104 drivers. Whereas the GM200 drivers are basically fully mature already.

They don't 'gimp' anything. :/ Nvidia tend to be better with having more mature drivers on Day 1 so there's not always constant room for improvements years after release.

Soldato
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_review,39.html

OK. The MSI Gaming X card also doesn't overclock any better than the reference cards. It wasn't just the ASUS Strix. None of the cards are good overclockers, something to do with Pascal. We might see later version overcome this limit but it appears that all launch versions suffer in the same way. No difference between the reference 5+1 VRM design or the fancy 14+3 ones.

I'm glad I cancelled my Strix order. I'll wait for more reviews and if they all said the same thing, I'm just going to take the KFA2 'reference blower' card, put a waterblock on it and call it a day.

Soldato
I really cannot believe that Nvidia purposely break previous gen drivers??!!

They don't break it, they just won't spend as much time optimizing it for newer games as they do for the latest generation products. That has been the case for years and years, for both AMD and NVIDIA. As newer products are released, the majority of the emphasis of driver and software optimizations will be on the latest products, to ever increase the gap with past generations and to push people to buy these newer models.

Soldato
They don't gimp the driver they just optimise better for the newer cards, Just use the older drivers, what's the problem?

The older driver isn't going to be 'better' than newer drivers for older cards. It's about new release titles not getting as much optimizations in the driver for the older generation cards. The newer drivers will still better than the old ones.

Last edited:
Associate
They don't break it, they just won't spend as much time optimizing it for newer games as they do for the latest generation products. That has been the case for years and years, for both AMD and NVIDIA. As newer products are released, the majority of the emphasis of driver and software optimizations will be on the latest products, to ever increase the gap with past generations and to push people to buy these newer models.

So the 980ti i bought in November (6 months ago) will now receive less support for new games coming out, I find that incredible seeing as I spent £500 on one of their high end cards only for them to support it less in games half a year later?! That makes me think is it worth the money...Nvidia release new series every what 18-20months?? They expect to us to upgrade and spend that much each time to have fully optimised drivers for the games we want to play?? Grr

Caporegime
So the 980ti i bought in November (6 months ago) will now receive less support for new games coming out, I find that incredible seeing as I spent £500 on one of their high end cards only for them to support it less in games half a year later?! That makes me think is it worth the money...Nvidia release new series every what 18-20months?? They expect to us to upgrade and spend that much each time to have fully optimised drivers for the games we want to play?? Grr

look at it this way, your 980ti isnt going to get any slower, just wont get any faster.

Wheres the new tech is just on early drivers. Normally you can expect to see performance increase by 10% over the months as the drivers mature.

Same happened when your 980ti came out.

Soldato

You can be sure that Pascal cards are getting the vast majority of attention, Maxwell cards are now still getting some optimizations when necessary, but Kepler and older are getting nothing except small bug fixes when necessary.

Look at it this way: GTX 980, when it was released, it was faster than 780 Ti for about 10%. That was back in September 2014. If you test them now, 20 months later, that gap has widened for both the older games that existed at the time, and it's now even wider for the newer games that are released now. It's something like 20-25% now. In some games like Doom it's even 40-50% faster. So it went from being just 10% faster at the time of the release to now which is even 50% faster in some titles.#

You can expect the same thing now. 1080 is faster than 980 Ti for about 20-25%. That is at the time of release. One year from now, especially for newer titles, that gap will be widened. Maybe it will be 35%, maybe 40%. In 20 months, it will be even wider. When Volta is released, the created gap between Maxwell and Pascal will remain the same as the majority of the optimizations will now happen for Volta. The same cycle repeats.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get a 1070. It will age better with time, won't lose its value as much as a 980 Ti will and will get all of the latest driver and gaming optimizations that a previous gen card won't get.

I don't suggest upgrading from 980 Ti to 1070 since that's not even an upgrade. But if you're buying now, 1070 is the better choice.

I don't really agree with that totally. I'm not going to buy a new 980Ti so as a proportion of what I'm paying compared to what it'll be worth when I next upgrade it'll lose less than a 1070 IMO.

AMD's 480 cards are looking like a steal, iirc you prefer nVidia though.

Already have a 780Ti so wouldn't be worth the upgrade really.

Definitely go for a 1070 over a 980Ti. You KNOW it's a matter of time before Nvidia gimp the Maxwell drivers and your 980Ti will be way worse than the 1070. Sad but True.

I heard this but my 780Ti has always performed roughly where it should. Around and abouts a 970. I'm not saying support doesn't drop for older generations but I very much doubt they purposefully gimp their drivers.

Caporegime

Only SLI and seems to be a blip which has been rectified with a hotfix. In single card every driver except one (and Nvidia releases lemons once in a while for all cards) has been a (small) improvement on the previous driver.

Plus newer drivers can make big differences in newer games.

Notice there was one big leap in performance in one driver but very little since.

Soldato
supposition - being that the 1080 is a die shrink Maxwell , could it be at its highest performance limit already? with only optimisations could help? both videocardz (asus strix) and guru3d (msi) have found the cards to be voltage locked even with the latest afterburner

Soldato
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_review,39.html

OK. The MSI Gaming X card also doesn't overclock any better than the reference cards. It wasn't just the ASUS Strix. None of the cards are good overclockers, something to do with Pascal. We might see later version overcome this limit but it appears that all launch versions suffer in the same way. No difference between the reference 5+1 VRM design or the fancy 14+3 ones.

I'm glad I cancelled my Strix order. I'll wait for more reviews and if they all said the same thing, I'm just going to take the KFA2 'reference blower' card, put a waterblock on it and call it a day.

So that's the end of that then, thought we might see a card that'll hold 2400mhz and kill a O/C'd Ti/TX but we're not even going to get one to hold 2100mhz?

Associate
Are many thinking of going 1080 SLI. Currently considering going that way myself but waiting find out what EK is doing with there custom SLI Block thing they are making.

Caporegime
So that's the end of that then, thought we might see a card that'll hold 2400mhz and kill a O/C'd Ti/TX but we're not even going to get one to hold 2100mhz?

To make things worse it looks like nVidia have implemented a hard limit to voltage at 1.25v. Custom bios guys can't seem to find a workaround yet as the driver just crashes with anything above that. On LN2 the max someone has achieved so far is 2300mhz.

Back
Top Bottom