• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
supposition - being that the 1080 is a die shrink Maxwell , could it be at its highest performance limit already? with only optimisations could help? both videocardz (asus strix) and guru3d (msi) have found the cards to be voltage locked even with the latest afterburner

Thought I saw a post yesterday latest afterburner now has voltage unlocked?

Associate
To make things worse it looks like nVidia have implemented a hard limit to voltage at 1.25v. Custom bios guys can't seem to find a workaround yet as the driver just crashes with anything above that. On LN2 the max someone has achieved so far is 2300mhz.

Us normal overclockers wouldn't be affected by the 1.25v limit anyway. Not taking away from the fact that it is a problem for those using LN2, but I mean it's not something 99% of people really need to think about.

The fact that the same OC is being reached on all cards is interesting for sure. Seems like everyone moaning about the 1x8pin connector had nothing to moan about at all.

Caporegime
Us normal overclockers wouldn't be affected by the 1.25v limit anyway. Not taking away from the fact that it is a problem for those using LN2, but I mean it's not something 99% of people really need to think about.

The fact that the same OC is being reached on all cards is interesting for sure. Seems like everyone moaning about the 1x8pin connector had nothing to moan about at all.

True. I am going to let the dust settle. It might be cheapest single 8 pin card to put a waterblock on may be the way to go.

Associate
When the 970/980 came out the 970 was the "sensible" buy - some were £260 and not far from 980 performance. This time round I'm not sure the 1070 is such an obvious upgrade for the 970 if they start at £350 with new AMD models and with the 1080 to 970 performance jump being quite a bit larger. Some open cooler 1080 are at £550 which might not be that far behind £650 models.

Associate
after reading the MSI review and seeing how it struggles to go over 2ghz I'm seriously thinking whether I can be bothered waiting 2 weeks for my FTW to arrive or just bite to bullet and buy a reference card :/

Caporegime
Are you having a laugh? It's been well documented, discussed and proved.

Where? The link posted earlier with benchmarks from 10 drivers on 780ti showed a small improvement with every driver except one dip.

Okay there were no 5 to 10% leaps after the first three or four drivers but that's expected.

What happens is the newer cards get the 5-10% leaps.

Soldato
No he isn't and stop trolling!

I am NOT trolling. I've read countless article and watched countless videos that go into thorough detail that show Nvidia purposefully gimp their drivers on older generation cards to increase sales of their new cards.

All I said was the 1070 s a better buy than a 980Ti because Maxwell might be gimped down the line. I STAND BY THIS SOUND ADVICE.

Plenty in here about it for one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s

Last edited:
Soldato
I am NOT trolling. I've read countless article and watched countless videos that go into thorough detail that show Nvidia purposefully gimp their drivers on older generation cards to increase sales of their new cards.

All I said was the 1070 s a better buy than a 980Ti because Maxwell might be gimped down the line. I STAND BY THIS SOUND ADVICE.

Plenty in here about it for one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s

There are loads of videos online that we are ruled by reptillians and that they have underground bases as well. My opinion is the most likely explanation is that Nvidia do not do it on purpose, they might, but I think they probably don't. Most likely explanation is they optimize new cards and do not put much effort into older generations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom