• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

GAC

GAC

Soldato
the issue i have mainly are the people giving advice to others stating blogs as fact?! im sorry if your fact is a blog of someones opinion based off of pr slides its not fact. its pr twoddle.

dont get me wrong it can be fun guessing and coming up with realistic ideas but some of the "facts" being thrown around of late are getting a tad out of hand.

Caporegime
Still, don;t you find it fun speculating? Although, all these "educated" guesses are on the frustrating side.

Speculating is fine, but calling a bad source a bad source doesn't prevent speculation. Here I'm speculating, I think we'll see medium Polaris by June and available, I think we'll see GP104 around Sept/Oct available(maybe launched earlier), we'll see big Pascal/Polaris next year. I'm basing that on things like when Samsung went into production, their joint capacity with GloFo vs TSMC, ramping up capacity earlier than TSMC, multiple customers moving from TSMC for 2016 products because they had no faith in them delivering. I'm not saying I'm right but a little reason behind the speculation is interesting. If I said I think Polaris will come out in June because the planets are aligned and my cat spoke to me and confirmed it to be true.... then while speculating it's still complete twaddle. When you know the reasoning you can discuss the likely chance of a given rumour or story being true. Multiple stories out there can be instantly dismissed as complete crap based on lots of stuff, the source information being clearly wrong, something completely impossible like a 120mm^2 14nm core having the same performance as a 438mm^2 28nm core.

But a bad source is still a bad source and identifying bad information doesn't in any way preclude speculation.

Something the guy below quoted and Greg kept attacking me over is stating that the source of the April information is false thus apparently I was attacking people speculating. It was BS, speculating that Gp100 is out in April is an entirely different matter to a specific story about a specific piece of information being entirely incorrect.

I stated the story was completely wrong because it is, if GP100 comes out in April that story will still be wrong, just because it manages to get date right doesn't mean the story itself is correct. Same goes for the source above, look at the actual source of the information for that story. It specifically says Gp104 PAPER launch in June but availability not until Q3(anything from 1-4 months later), that is what the information states so writing a story claiming GP104 is available in June is incorrect when they use that specific information as a source.

Speculating doesn't prevent stating a source or story is incorrect. I don't know if that source is correct or not, I would say it seems plausible, I would take the GP104 Q3 release date to be late Q3 rather than early and I think Gp100 April launch(if it's that early) will be a massive paper launch with has we see, no consumer availability till 2017. But the story linked to above using that source is still wrong.

This^

You can't have fun here because some here will accuse you of being a know it all. Don't care what any of them think. The worst of the bunch are on ignore.

Complete nonsense from you as usual, you like attacking other posters for doing things they never did as Greg does. I've never once anywhere come remotely close to saying you can't speculate. AS above, stating a single specific story is incorrect has absolutely nothing to do with speculation.

If a story came out tomorrow stating GP100 is a 1200mm^2 die with 7 times the performance of Titan X.... are you attempting to suggest we can't rubbish the story without automatically stating all speculation is bad?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Speculating is all part of the build up and absolutely no harm in it at all. What sites do is pass on news and rumors and gossip and yer, 90% is wrong or repeat news but still no harm. The problem is that some folks get seriously worked up if someone makes a guess that disagrees with their own guess and this isn't fair. I like to speculate and guess on what is what without someone jumping on me or anyone come to think of it saying "rubbish" or "BS".

The more guesses and speculation I see I enjoy and carry on :)

Associate
I suppose that people find the vitriol with which these blogs are being dismissed does mean that some would think twice about posting 'new' information.

Anyway, to try and keep on track. I've been avoiding even thinking about a 980ti in favour of pascal. With such little information as to timescales, that patience is getting harder by the day.

Man of Honour
Speculators box, you are both wrong and right until the final product is observed. :p

The product is in NDA flux untill release. :D

Annoying thing is real leaks barely happen any more :( I used to know people to talk to who'd have some info but now they've either moved on or won't even drop hints for fear of their jobs.

Soldato
And when it's released they'll be a faster one on the horizon and you'll agonise again.

Isn't that always the case though? With everything and anything, don't mind waiting a couple of months, when it's 6+ months though i'll just get what I need at that point.

It'd be nice to just get a confirmation, if it's June/July as speculated i'll wait, if it's late this year i'll just grab a 980ti now.

Caporegime
The hype is because of the long awaited die shrink, people are expecting big things.

Speculation is fine but some of the articles posted are just regurgitated crap that anyone with a brain cell knows is complete guess work, educated guess work based off the few solid facts we have so far is at least a little better.

Caporegime
Well hope the faster one isn't by the end of the year and closer to the "speculated" dates because I need to upgrade and the waiting is a killer.

Just think about the buyer's remorse you'd have, spending £500 on a 980ti, to find a £350 card would have been so much better in a few months.

Of course, there's no guarantee it'll play out that way.

There is risk of disappointment both ways. I waited for the 960 hoping it would be the new 460, and boy was that a let down.

Soldato
I suppose that people find the vitriol with which these blogs are being dismissed does mean that some would think twice about posting 'new' information.

Anyway, to try and keep on track. I've been avoiding even thinking about a 980ti in favour of pascal. With such little information as to timescales, that patience is getting harder by the day.

I think the problem is that even a cursory investigation reveals most of this 'new' information is not actual information, it is opinion based on the same dubious sources that get regurgitated almost daily as new 'info'. The usual suspects get themselves all excited at this 'new' info and assume it is confirmation big consumer Pascal is due in April.

Soldato
Just think about the buyer's remorse you'd have, spending £500 on a 980ti, to find a £350 card would have been so much better in a few months.

Of course, there's no guarantee it'll play out that way.

There is risk of disappointment both ways. I waited for the 960 hoping it would be the new 460, and boy was that a let down.

Yup definitely agree, when no information is being leaked or announced then it's just a risk waiting or even buying. My 680 is getting very long in the tooth now for any kind of gaming, starting to crash at default clocks to so had to underclock it a bit and out of warranty.

So for me, it's a sit and wait it out and hope it's soon or buy ow and regret it if they come out earlier. Annoying either way, let's hope the speculation is right. :)

Man of Honour

Please, think about it before posting such drivel. To the kinds of consumers who pay £500-600 on high end GFX hardware, losing £150 in depreciation is really not on the radar. Spending upwards of £600 on Pascal at release will see you losing that £150 just by unboxing it almost.

I wish people would stop posting this endless tripe. 'Wait a few months, new range is coming!'.. it's depressing. The market is always going to be moving. Better to just buy and enjoy whats on sale now instead of sitting on your money like Scrooge McDuck.

Bit of a rant, but I just don't understand this viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom