• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Please, think about it before posting such drivel. To the kinds of consumers who pay £500-600 on high end GFX hardware, losing £150 in depreciation is really not on the radar. Spending upwards of £600 on Pascal at release will see you losing that £150 just by unboxing it almost.

I wish people would stop posting this endless tripe. 'Wait a few months, new range is coming!'.. it's depressing. The market is always going to be moving. Better to just buy and enjoy whats on sale now instead of sitting on your money like Scrooge McDuck.

Bit of a rant, but I just don't understand this viewpoint.

Each to their own but I do kinda agree that if someone is happy to pay £500 for a GPU then money is clearly not a major issues. Especially if they get a year + use out of it then they are not going to complain.

Associate
Please, think about it before posting such drivel. To the kinds of consumers who pay £500-600 on high end GFX hardware, losing £150 in depreciation is really not on the radar. Spending upwards of £600 on Pascal at release will see you losing that £150 just by unboxing it almost.

I wish people would stop posting this endless tripe. 'Wait a few months, new range is coming!'.. it's depressing. The market is always going to be moving. Better to just buy and enjoy whats on sale now instead of sitting on your money like Scrooge McDuck.

Well what if you are a teenager/young adult that as a one off your family is putting together some money for a super spec PC. You would be a bit disapointed if you went and bought a top spec graphics card which then depreciates by £150-£250 the next month or so after. If you can't see that would be a bit upsetting for that to happen to a student that doesn't have disposable income then you're being a little narrow minded.

Man of Honour
In that example, a family putting together a top spec PC wouldn't really be following hardware releases in the next few months, they'd just buy what was top at the time, so I don't personally think that holds up. They wouldn't be bothered about a bit of depreciation as they wouldn't be planning to sell it or upgrade.

Associate
In that example, a family putting together a top spec PC wouldn't really be following hardware releases in the next few months, they'd just buy what was top at the time, so I don't personally think that holds up. They wouldn't be bothered about a bit of depreciation as they wouldn't be planning to sell it or upgrade.

That's true but the student might have a bit of knowledge about computers and graphics cards and get a bit dissapointed, to be honest I'm just playing devils advocate here I do see your point about not being a Scrooge McDuck but also looking at it from the other side ;).

Caporegime

So it's a viewpoint that you don't understand, but you call it drivel... so you clearly think it's not just a viewpoint, it's wrong :p

At the £500 price point there is obviously less sensitivity about price. But surely, since the price hasn't moved for months, those who want to spend that kind of money already have that card. Those who ask "should I wait" are also clearly not 100% committed to spending £500 on old tech.

Surely the fact that people having been asking "should I wait", means there is not a 100% convincing argument to always buy? You talk as tho it's a no-brainer. Well clearly, you're wrong there.

So the people who don't already have a 980ti... it's either because they either don't want to spend £500 or they have good enough cards to skip a generation. Again, if you're skipping a gen then you aren't in the "money is no object" bracket.

So that leaves the rest of us. Since this isn't a thread solely for millionaires then I don't feel "wrong" for advising the price-senstive to wait.

As someone else said, there's a difference between waiting 1 day and 1 year. New GPUs are said to be close; just a matter of a couple months (for AMD, at least).

If I buy a £300 card now I get a 970. If I wait a couple months that £300-£350 (at a push) will get me 980ti perf, or thereabouts.

Those who spend <£400 are likely to want the best deal. We don't all live in Titan/980ti land :p

Just feel privileged that you have never felt buyer's remorse. Clearly you have a vast amount of disposable income such that you have never regretted a purchase, and couldn't care less about depreciation either. Well, good for you. But not all of us following this thread are so fortunate to be flush with cash ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
So it's a viewpoint that you don't understand, but you call it drivel... so you clearly think it's not just a viewpoint, it's wrong :p

At the £500 price point there is obviously less sensitivity about price. But surely, since the price hasn't moved for months, those who want to spend that kind of money already have that card.

So the people who don't already have a 980ti... it's either because they either don't want to spend £500 or they have good enough cards to skip a generation. Again, if you're skipping a gen then you aren't in the "money is no object" bracket.

So that leaves the rest of us. Since this isn't a thread solely for millionaires then I don't feel "wrong" for advising the price-senstive to wait.

As someone else said, there's a difference between waiting 1 day and 1 year. New GPUs are said to be close; just a matter of a couple months (for AMD, at least).

If I buy a £300 card now I get a 970. If I wait a couple months that £300-£350 (at a push) will get me 980ti perf, or thereabouts.

Those who spend <£400 are likely to want the best deal. We don't all live in Titan/980ti land :p

Just feel privileged that you have never felt buyer's remorse. Clearly you have a vast amount of disposable income such that you have never regretted a purchase. Well, good for you. But not all of us following this thread are so fortunate to be flush with cash ;)

You made a statement specifically relating to a £500 980Ti and MooMoo responded to that statement. Don't move the goalposts or make strawmen about millionaires and their expensive luxury GPUs. Anyone on this forum paying £500 for a GPU now is doing so fully informed that new Polaris (and possibly Pascal) GPUs will be available in a few months. Or they are waiting so see how things pan out over the next few months.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You made a statement specifically relating to a £500 980Ti and MooMoo responded to that statement. Don't move the goalposts or make strawmen about millionaires and their expensive luxury GPUs.

I made two counter-points specifically about the 980ti, if you bothered to read it. But frankly you're one of the people who pretty much only exists to troll here, so I won't get my hopes up. People remember names, and I remember yours for endless trolling. Not sure why I'm wasting my time with you.

1. Why don't they already have it if spending £500 is no big deal.
2. Why do they ask "should I buy or wait", again if that £500 is no big deal?

MooMoo thinks that everybody considering a 980ti is well off enough that the money can be spent without batting an eyelid.

Man of Honour
People asking for reassurance is fine, but I don't believe that waiting is good advice. Everyone who is being told to wait until Pascal will rush out and buy Pascal at release, paying over the odds and then feel bad when Pascal 2.0 releases. You can't win by waiting, you can just buy whats out now and enjoy it.

Caporegime
I bought my ti last week because

1. I needed an upgrade for ROTRR
2. No one knows how long Pascal will be
3. No one knows how good it will be.

I don't want to spend my life waiting on uncertainties. I'd rather get what I need or want now and deal with anything else in the future. At the end of the day, Ti's are not suddenly going to become worthless. Most people could probably afford the part ex price. If you buy a Ti now and you decide to upgrade to Pascal, it's not going to cost you another £5-600.

Caporegime
You can't win by waiting, you can just buy whats out now and enjoy it.

That isn't a truism.

Imagine the same situation, only now you know the performance, price and release date of the new Pascal cards. You know that the price is £350, the perf is 980ti+10%, and the release is in two months time.

Now, tell me that you still recommend people buy a 980ti.

Why bother talking about Pascal 2.0/Volta? Is the gap between now and Pascal equal to the gap between Pascal and Volta? Why do people not understand that waiting a couple months is not the same as waiting the full time between two generations? Which can be 18+ months apart?

You say my viewpoint makes no sense, but the viewpoint that two months wait is that same as 18 months wait truly blows my mind!

Caporegime
If you've got solid information on release date, price and performance then of course you wait. I don't think anyone is really arguing against that, I'm pretty sure MooMoo is talking about waiting with nothing concrete about any of the new cards.

Caporegime
That isn't a truism.

Imagine the same situation, only now you know the performance, price and release date of the new Pascal cards. You know that the price is £350, the perf is 980ti+10%, and the release is in two months time.

Now, tell me that you still recommend people buy a 980ti.

Why bother talking about Pascal 2.0/Volta? Is the gap between now and Pascal equal to the gap between Pascal and Volta? Why do people not understand that waiting a couple months is not the same as waiting the full time between two generations? Which can be 18+ months apart?

You say my viewpoint makes no sense, but the viewpoint that two months wait is that same as 18 months wait truly blows my mind!

A lot of people on eBay are stupid. They would probably buy my ti for £350 thinking they've got a good deal. Free upgrade! 10% extra is nothing anyway. Frame rate increase from 60fps to 66fps. How amazing!

Last edited:
Caporegime
A lot of people on eBay are stupid. They would probably buy my ti for £350 thinking they've got a good deal. Free upgrade!

Whilst I'm hesitant to use the word stupid, if you sold a couple weeks before Pascal released you'd have a fair chance of making decent money back.

It's only really people like us that follow new releases, so I'd imagine most buyers wouldn't know when to expect a new generation of cards.

So that is a fair point.

Man of Honour
If you've got solid information on release date, price and performance then of course you wait. I don't think anyone is really arguing against that, I'm pretty sure MooMoo is talking about waiting with nothing concrete about any of the new cards.

Pretty much, yes, we still know nothing about Pascal release or Pascal performance so why wait for it when there are sweet 980s and 980Tis setting on the shelf there looking for a home.

If we knew that Pascal was releasing, say March 26th, then waiting would make sense but otherwise I can't follow it.

Soldato
Pretty much, yes, we still know nothing about Pascal release or Pascal performance so why wait for it when there are sweet 980s and 980Tis setting on the shelf there looking for a home.

If we knew that Pascal was releasing, say March 26th, then waiting would make sense but otherwise I can't follow it.

Yes, if it's releasing March 27th, buy 980Ti now. 26th wait, but not 27th. Too long. Plus 27th is Sunday, so that means waiting to 28th!!! NO WAY!! 26th it is, if you pay for Saturday delivery... oooooh, that complicates things... no, buy 980Ti... but I could drive to shop and buy Pascal on Saturday... oooohhh, Saturday traffic! AGGGGHHHHH, WHAT SHALL I DOOOOOO???! Polaris might be out on Friday... mmmmm.....

bru

bru

Soldato
So waiting for April 4th GTC isn't sensible then, its not as if NVidia are known for releasing new cards at this very time of year and if they don't you know it's a safe bet that they wont be launching till AMD do before September, so it's safe to buy a 980ti now.

Caporegime
So waiting for April 4th GTC isn't sensible then, its not as if NVidia are known for releasing new cards at this very time of year and if they don't you know it's a safe bet that they wont be launching till AMD do before September, so it's safe to buy a 980ti now.
Do we know for sure AMD are not releasing before September?

Genuine question.

Caporegime
Do we know for sure AMD are not releasing before September?

Genuine question.

AMD are going WAY before September, you can explain to him till you're blue in the face what available for back to school season means but he'll ignore it.

For cards to be IN computers for the back to school season which is July through August in America, cards need to be shipping to manufacturers before June at the absolute latest, if they are available in early July that is more like May.

It was a statement for the industry, not end users, it wasn't a launch date, it was an assurance that the cards would be available to OEMs for July/August sales. AT a guess, March/April for small Polaris, April/May for medium Polaris.

Back
Top Bottom