• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
For cards to be IN computers for the back to school season which is July through August in America, cards need to be shipping to manufacturers before June at the absolute latest, if they are available in early July that is more like May.

But that doesn't mean that boxed, retail cards will hit the market before OEM machines.

Heck, they might have an agreement with the OEMs to release both at the same time.

I'm not putting this forward as a likely theory, just saying that everything is assumption.

All they've said is that cards would be available "before back to school 2016". It's very little to go on.

The other possibility is that OEMs have priority and will get all the initial available cards? And boxed, retail cards come later?

Caporegime
Caporegime
I heard about it at the time but TSMC had already stated the very little downtime due to it (2 days) so didn't feel it was worthwhile. They have multiple gigafabs and of them only Fab 14 was effected. What really matters is which they had planned the most 16nm capacity for and where they are ramping capacity.

If Fab 14 was where they were ramping 16nm capacity first it could have a fairly big impact, if the other fabs were the main place for 16nm then it's less of a big deal. Fab 14 is listed as moving to 16nm, so it will potentially effect overall capacity but it could be 50k wafers a month at another fab and only planning 5k a month to start at Fab 14, the other way around that would be pretty bad.

Of their main 300mm fabs only Fab 14 is in the area that was effected by the earthquake significantly.

Comparing it to Western Digi/Seagate as well maybe, there was massive fabs completely shut down. The big problem there is the factories were entirely flooded iirc, so pretty much everything on site was ruined, from equipment to supplies but also infrastructure meaning rebuilding was slow. It won't be close to the same scale of production disruption.

Last edited:
Soldato
I made two counter-points specifically about the 980ti, if you bothered to read it. But frankly you're one of the people who pretty much only exists to troll here, so I won't get my hopes up. People remember names, and I remember yours for endless trolling. Not sure why I'm wasting my time with you.

Oh the irony, constant moaning about how both Nvidia and AMD are too expensive these days and you miss the (imaginary) good old days when £200 got a top of the range kick ass current high end GPU. It's gettin kinda old to be honest.

MooMoo thinks that everybody considering a 980ti is well off enough that the money can be spent without batting an eyelid.

No he didn't you just inferred that was his meaning, try reading his post again. You went on a rant about millionaires and being a defender of those "not flush with cash", yet you talk about me missing the point. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh the irony, constant moaning about how both Nvidia and AMD are too expensive these days and you miss the (imaginary) good old days when £200 got a top of the range kick ass current high end GPU. It's gettin kinda old to be honest.

Blah blah blah blah blah. You only post tripe, and I'm not bothered about what you think. You can be the sole inhabitant of my ignore list. Hope you feel special.

e: hah, it works. That's so much better.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Dr Lisa Sue told Computerbase DE

Translation from German :

The target is mid-2016, particularly in time for the major back-to-school season in the united states. Polaris should be available not just in the form of desktop solutions, but Dr Lisa Told Computerbase DE

also notebook graphics chips.

The American schools start at beginning of September (September 8th for NYC) and the last day of the previous term is June 30th.

So AMD are aiming to Launch Their Polaris GPU's between these dates, or as I said before September.

Last edited:
Caporegime
http://www.computerbase.de/2016-01/amd-ceo-lisa-su-interview/

The American schools start at beginning of September (September 8th for NYC) and the last day of the previous term is June 30th.

So AMD are aiming to Launch Their Polaris GPU's between these dates, or as I said before September.

OEM focused press release or not, there's not a single mention of retail graphics boards. So really there's nothing there to get excited about.

Can still only guess at the situation with retail GPUs.

nV have their GTC conf in April; looks like there's nothing from AMD until Computex in May...

...so the waiting continues.

bru

bru

Soldato
OEM or not it is tightest timeframe that has been mentioned by AMD, much better than the available in 2016, that we normally get from both sides.

Maybe it is a mistake to tie themselves to a definitive timeframe, who knows, but in my opinion you don't say before the back to school period if you intend release way before then.

Caporegime
The good old days did exist, it was called the 5850. Especially the original board.

You know that; I know that; but there are people here who believe the 970 is the best value for money card ever released.

Heck, I never even said that £250 was the top of the range card, and he won't be able to quote a single post of mine to that effect.

I did say that £250 used to buy you the 2nd top card, and now it buys you 4th top. But that's off topic anyhow. He's just trolling for attention, again.

Caporegime
You know that; I know that; but there are people here who believe the 970 is the best value for money card ever released.

Heck, I never even said that £250 was the top of the range card, and he won't be able to quote a single post of mine to that effect.

I did say that £250 used to buy you the 2nd top card, and now it buys you 4th top. But that's off topic anyhow. He's just trolling for attention, again.

My fave for the money was my G92 8800GTS version. Pumped out some excellent FPS for the money. Pretty much put an end to the GTX version.

Caporegime

That is some serious interpretation, AMD did not say between June 30th and Sept 8th, you did. Also you didn't say 'before September' in that context. You said it was a safe bet Nvidia wouldn't release, till AMD do, before September. You were implying AMD wouldn't launch before September, not that they will as you are now claiming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_school_(marketing) mid july to mid Sept and the only thing AMD have said is in time for the back to school season, not during, not after, not at the end but in time for it. They are showing working demos in January which were allowed to be filmed and they showed medium Polaris behind closed doors, they also showed working demos that weren't allowed to be shown in December. Put all this together and early July would be an exceptionally late release for a card they are already demoing. It would be surprising if small Polaris came out later than April, maybe medium Polaris later than May.

You also missed the part where they'll be available for laptops as well. Laptops have a way longer validation/testing and time to market period than desktop, always. it would make sense that if desktop Polaris was ready by April/May then mobile would be ready by June/July.

OEM focused press release or not, there's not a single mention of retail graphics boards. So really there's nothing there to get excited about.

What do you think OEMs buy exactly, bare bones cores and Dell and co put the cards together? AMD make gpus, they sell them to lets say Sapphire, Sapphire put them on a pcb with memory(or with HBM have it on package already) then either put them in a brown box to send to Dell or a coloured box to ship to retail. in 99.99% of all GPU releases, launch of a new graphics card will mean retail and OEM availability at the same time.... because it's the same product just shipped and sold slightly differently.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What do you think OEMs buy exactly, bare bones cores and Dell and co put the cards together? AMD make gpus, they sell them to lets say Sapphire, Sapphire put them on a pcb with memory(or with HBM have it on package already) then either put them in a brown box to send to Dell or a coloured box to ship to retail. in 99.99% of all GPU releases, launch of a new graphics card will mean retail and OEM availability at the same time.... because it's the same product just shipped and sold slightly differently.

You said before that non-OEM GPUs would be available in June if they were in OEM machines for Sept. And now you've said that they will be available at the same time.

At least to me that looks like a contradiction. What do you mean, exactly?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OEM's need time to configure, test, market, and ship out full systems. Their builds are not sitting primed for the arrival of gfx cards so they can be shipped the same day...

Caporegime
OEM's need time to configure, test, market, and ship out full systems. Their builds are not sitting primed for the arrival of gfx cards so they can be shipped the same day...

I'm sure OEMs have early access to the GPUs, early access to drivers, etc. As a major customer you won't be waiting like the rest of us to know how they perform, what the power budget is, etc.

Also the OEM who isn't ready to go the moment the new GPUs launch, is an OEM who loses out to the guy who is. Take two months to start shipping a new product and you must be a pretty crappy OEM.

Back
Top Bottom