*** The Official OcUK Beers Of The World Competition ***

Caporegime
So far looks likely to be the longest name, though I'll give Ahleckz a chance to have his say first. Scrabble idea is certainly a twist lol.

I'd love to aim for this Saturday regardless of whichever way we play it.

Soldato
Longest name is fine for me. Need to get some rules ironed out. Just purely the beer name, and not including the producer/type of beer (unless that's the name). For example 'Sierra Nevada Pale Ale' would only be 'Pale Ale'.

To clarify, everyone is allowed to enter but it's the longest name between the 3 of the finalists that wins? Rather than the point system again?

Caporegime
Longest name is fine for me. Need to get some rules ironed out. Just purely the beer name, and not including the producer/type of beer (unless that's the name). For example 'Sierra Nevada Pale Ale' would only be 'Pale Ale'.

To clarify, everyone is allowed to enter but it's the longest name between the 3 of the finalists that wins? Rather than the point system again?

Yes mate it's open to everyone who has played in the competition albeit the winner of said competition will be decided between you me and macca.

Beer name only! No brewer name counts, no beer description ie. Stout, lager, IPA, ale etc etc counts. Are we doing the scrabble scoring?

Soldato
How about this, name of beer, scrabble points added to final score from last week, all in everyone in, scores start as they stand everyone gets a chance.

Haha nice sentiment as your in the running but a last minute steel? not think that would cheapen the whole competition; I know this was started to entice more people into the world of real beer and widen there horizons but in all fairness there has been 26 weeks of financial investment by most (im guilty of negligence here so i will tread carefully), and as so i think there should be a showdown for the title, if the next seasons comp is going to have any validity it has to be decisive other wise we might as well introduce score multipliers and beerstreak rewards :D.

It's a noble idea but keep it as a tie breaker, the scrabble idea is good and makes it a bit more thought inducing to the entry but if it was me i would stick to most letters from the alphabet that appear in the name wins ie= a beer called 'good beer' would be worth 6 points, enough variation to divide the entry's and a big enough variable in multiple letters repeating them self's in the name to create a numerous amount of possible out comes from even the most bog standard beers.

If you are aiming for a decisive winner keep it straight forward and decisive.

just my 2 pence

Caporegime
How about this, name of beer, scrabble points added to final score from last week, all in everyone in, scores start as they stand everyone gets a chance.

I'm sure quite a few people would love this to happen :D even a bit of me would! Though in all fairness the last rule stated that the winner would have the highest score whenever we did 'Z', so the winner will have to come from the three tied top players at present...

The Drink Off...

1) Longest beer name NOT including brewer name or beer type ie. stout, IPA, ale, lager, porter etc etc.

2) Scrabble scoring will count on each and every letter.

1 point: E, A, I, O, N, R, T, L, S, U
2 points: D, G
3 points: B, C, M, P
4 points: F, H, V, W, Y
5 points: K
8 points: J, X
10 points: Q, Z

3) In the event of a tied score a number from 1 - 26 will be generated using random.org and the corresponding beer entry for that week will also be added to the overall scores, still using the Scrabble scoring method above. If still tied another number is generated and scoring repeated.

4) Picture must be entered with ' OcUK ' as before but also include ' The Drink Off ' :)

5) ' The Drink Off ' will take place on Saturday 9th Febuary and entries must be emailed (usual comp. address) by 8pm same day.

Caporegime
My wife's just text me to say she's picked me up a beer for the drink off - looks like I'll have an entry after all :D

Don't forget it's NEXT Saturday ;)

Everyone that has taken part in the competition so far is welcome to enter the drink off :)

I'll even throw in a Brand new pack of Guinness Poker cards to the winner of this round!

Caporegime
Just wouldn't like some ad-hoc rule/s crop up once entered

Serious business

Rules are clearly stated (just as they have been from start), if anyone has any questions, doubts etc. then this thread is for asking and seeking clarification.

...and it's about fun :)

Yeah I noticed the date though I'll probably email my entry in early due to having to work weekends :(

Just for clarification please - it's the name of the beer and not the brewer name or type:

So (for example) "Old Speckled Hen" would count and would give 22 points ??

I'm just coming into my weekends off :p

Quite correct - Beer name ONLY - NO brewer name or type ie. lager / stout / ale / IPA / porter etc etc.

Old Speckled Hen = 27 points

Old = 4
Speckled = 17
Hen = 6

Every letter counts regardless how many times used.

Back
Top Bottom