Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Funnily enough, back in 2014 David Cameron was a lone voice in the EU saying Jean-Claude Juncker was the wrong man to lead the European Commission. The other 27 members decided to humiliate Cameron and leave him isolated, who knows if they'd have listened to him Britain might have voted to remain. The way they treated Cameron certainly didn't make me feel warmly to the EU.

That's only because Cameron knew he would struggle to get a significantly better deal for the UK from Junker.

Why should we get preferential treatment anyway?

Man of Honour
At least we don't have to worry about Euro 2016 any more, I presume we'll be bringing our brave boys home ASAP. No more Eurovision Song Contest either, sorry homosexual people but that's how it is.
Repeal decimalisation and the metric system, bring back hanging and apply it to shopkeepers who don't immediately start using Imperial weights and measures.

And erect a gold statue of Derek Jameson somewhere conspicuous.

Eurovision has nothing to do with the EU, neither does UEFA.

Caporegime
That's only because Cameron knew he would struggle to get a significantly better deal for the UK from Junker.

Why should we get preferential treatment anyway?

No it was because the European Parliament had its highest number of eurosceptic MEPs ever and Cameron felt that appointing an arch-federalist like Juncker would only increase suspicion of the EU.

Caporegime
Right, now we have our borders back, we can stop the dregs of the EU coming here.

Except non EU immigration is higher than EU immigration is it not?

Also; much like Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway, if England wants access to the trade market of the EU they will have to accept the movement of people.

So, 'stopping' people coming in to the country won't happen.

Same to you, get yourself a tissue.

I don't need a tissue, just having an opinion.

No, they did not. That's all you remainers bang on about.

You are all so short sighted!

Yet every brexit voter I spoke to just spouted on about immigration and :rolleyes:

Right, now we have our borders back, we can stop the dregs of the EU coming here.

/\ These are the people that voted us out.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've seen more coherent ramblings from leave voters than remain so far.

I don't see the big deal around having a university education and this vote either, unless you've mastered in politics or economics you probably know around the same as the rest of us. Most of the students I've seen piping up studied something like sports science :rolleyes:

Soldato
If 'leave' was a bigger majority maybe. But it's very close and I would not be surprised to see a theoretical 2nd vote turn out a different outcome now that the reality is sinking in for people.

The percentages look close, but it's not like 10,000 or 20,000 people, it's like a million people. There won't be a 2nd referendum, the PM and Jeremy Corbyn have already said it will be respected.

Man of Honour
Can't say I'll be sad to see the back of Scotland, they do nothing but moan. They aren't being pulled out of the EU 'against their will', they are part of the UK and the UK has decided to leave. Get over it.

I've seen more coherent ramblings from leave voters than remain so far.

I agree, and even forgetting the voters, the politicians in favour of Leave have come across far more knowledgeable than those in favour of Remain. They'll be the ones making decisions.

Soldato
You keep banging on about DC and the Tories are to blame for this...

What's your reasoning?

Surely you can see it?!

I, slightly emotionally, touched on it earlier in the thread:
As I placed my ballot at 8.30pm yesterday I had a moment of self-doubt. Not that I was making a bad decision (Remain) but that I was making the decision at all. How on earth did it come to this - who thought it would be a good idea to put the choice in the hands of people like me who know rather little about it, and plenty more who know even less?!

I consoled myself that, at least, it was likely that Remain would win out.

But that didn't happen. The handful of racists on my facebook page, every older member of my family, who still refer to black people as ******* or golliwogs and indians as pakis, who look back with fondness on the '70s with the 3-day-week, the '80s with the decimation of the country's heavy industry, and view the rest of the world with an absurd level of paranoia... They got what they wanted. And they've ****ed it for the rest of us.

I'm upset and I'm angry.

I'm angry at the Tories. For punishing the poorest with their 'Austerity', pinning the blame of those cuts on immigration, and then arrogantly assuming people would forget all that when making the biggest political gamble imaginable by giving in to the nasty wing of the party and holding a referendum.

Because, aside from the racists and comfortable, bigoted, elderly that I know, there were plenty of people voting out who were neither of those - poor people who had had enough of being ****ed who wanted to stick two fingers up at the arse-holes in westminster. And who can blame them.

People at work are talking about making use of their Irish hereditary to get an EU passport. I don't have that luxury, being English as far back as records exist. I'm worried for my children, and my future grandchildren.

Congrats to those who got what they wanted. I hope we don't all live to regret it.

Soldato
And who's going to do all these 'no skilled' jobs that EU migrants won't be available to take up, because those people who moan about their jobs being taken previously certainly won't.

I live in Cambridge and a lot of my friends are highly paid scientific researchers... from Europe. From what I gather, almost all the labs in Addenbrookes and in Science Park are staffed mostly by researchers from Germany, France, Italy and France. I can't see the guys sitting on the couch on benefits (because Europeans are taking all their jobs apparently) picking these jobs up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom