***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Lego is one of those things that has always been scalped. It’s much closer to the likes of limited edition trainers than GPUs though.

Just look through this thread, there are loads of Lego speculators that buy for the purpose of reselling when it goes out of production.

As for the home alone, it will be back in a few weeks, just possible not before Xmas though.

Soldato
Just completed Ecto-1:

4FrHO4X.jpg

It is a great build and the final result is spectacular with the look and all the opening and moving bits! Now just got to find a home for it!
My backorder of the Titanic is on the way after waiting for a month. :D She who must be obeyed has granted me space for display but it will have to be in two parts due to the massive size. I did give her a bunch of Lego Flowers before she said get it. :p

My sister has bought me this kit for Christmas - can't wait to build it.

I bought myself a light kit for the Home Alone house and there's 250 pages worth of instructions for it!! Going to have to sit down with it when I'm off work next week to get it going. Tempted to get the light kit for Ecto-1 as well!

Soldato
@b0rn2sk8 It's not really scalping.

Don't forget the online store is EU based. It has nothing to do with UK store stock. UK stores often have loads of stock of hard to find items when online doesn't.

Most big high street & online stores stock lego sets by the thousands. No one misses out when in stock. I've seen loads of items spend months at 30% off or more. Only once out of production and long gone from shops do they face significant price hikes.

It's not like other pop culture genres for example marvel legends where smyths may only get one case in and because of the wave release structure once gone its gone.

Soldato
Lego is one of those things that has always been scalped.
Sadly true :(
Hopefully most of those on eBay get stuck with them.

I managed to navigate the Scalper craziness last year, successfully ordering a PS5 and GeForce 3070 on launch day, for actual personal use, at RRP. Although I think OcUK added a small premium to the card :p
If you're not ready on the exact launch time of a product with several tabs open and bots at the ready you miss out.
What a crazy world we are in now with these 're-sellers' ! :mad:

Trying to work out what other set will be good for a Christmas to New Year build

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not really sure it really matters where the online store is based.

The point I was making is that people have always bought Lego with the intention that they will resell it for profit. Whether that is a few days after a hot release or a couple of years after it’s gone out of production.

Home alone is certainly one of those sets which would be very hard to gage demand for, it’s big, expensive and has a fairly niche appeal.

It’s sold out for Xmas online, I expect some stores will still have a few but it’s an exclusive so that will only be in the Lego store itself. But once the exclusives go out of stock online, the stores also tend to be cleared out quickly. It’s not a one off product and it will be back in a few weeks anyway so it’s not exactly a big deal right now, it’s unlikely to go the way of the Saturn V which was out of stock constantly for months and months.

The chances are those sets which are on eBay now will have always ended up on eBay eventually. The usual Lego speculators would have picked them up expecting to resell them later down the line but have listed them early to make a quick profit and will then buy another when it comes back into stock early next year to hold until it’s out of production.

It’s rinse and repeat for almost every sought after set for an adult collector. They don’t buy most of the sets the likes of Smyths stock and sell by the truckload, it’s almost always the £100+ sets with adult appeal.

For example, I think there is someone here with half a dozen Saturn V sets ready for the day they finally end production of the set.

Man of Honour
Christmas came early as DPD delivered my Titanic backorder on Sunday. The shipping box was huge and very heavy and the whole package was easily over 15Kg. Inside that was the Lego box and inside that the Titanic box with three more boxes containing the build.

It comes in three parts so can be displayed as such or as a complete ship.

I was going to start after Christmas but just couldn't resist starting it on Monday. Here is build one:

ENkrg60.jpg
JQ9aMom.jpg

It is quite a size, 17" long, 5.5" wide and 17" to the top of the mast (not in photo). The photos do not show how fabulous it actually looks on display. Can't wait to continue with build 2!

More to come....

:)

Soldato
Got the blue fiat 500 from Santa.

Got to stage 76 and I can’t for the life of me figure out where the second of the 2 black circular disks go?

UHm2rQ8_d.webp

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Hahaha it do be like that sometimes. Keep it aside, and if it does turn out to be incorrect (x2 instead of x1) let them know, they might freebie you ;)

Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom